LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: valve saver fluid usage
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:37 am 

Bit of a dumb question BUT how fast should the fluid be dripping into the glass/tube "drops per min"on a 2 ltr four cylinder engine (Suzuki Grand Vitara) and how long/ how many miles should you expect a 500ml bottle to last?
I know there are many factors that effect the result but a ball park figure will suffice.

OH and how @!## are the hoses/bottle caps God knows what they make them from LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:44 pm 

You should be using 1ml of Flashlube per litre of LPG. On average that means setting it to 8 drops per minute at idle as a starting point. Then top it up to 400ml. When you next fill up with LPG make a note of how much you've put in, and then look to see how much Flashlube you've used. Adjust as required so it's using 1ml per litre.

So you should expect 500ml to last you 500 litres of LPG. On my 3.0 litre Subaru, I get around 300 miles to a tank. My tank holds 65 litres, so 65ml per tank means about 2500 miles per 500ml of Flashlube (very roughly!). I tend to buy it in the 5 litre bottles and decant into 1 litre bottles for easier filling. My wife's Honda CRV uses it too.

Instructions are on the Flashlube site by the way: http://www.flashlube.com/images/stories ... kit-s2.pdf

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm 

Thanks for that,
I think mine is flowing a bit faster than that but as the cap on the bottle was not seating properly and a
mist/film of lube is on the outside of the bottle and parts of the engine bay it is difficult to estimate usage .
The cap by the way is the same thread as most plastic 5 ltr oil cans so I have replaced it ,now everything is clean and hopefully fluid tight, I will have a look at the flow rate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:31 pm 

I've never actually had an issue with the cap on the reservoir bottle, and I've had several cars with Flashlube. But I guess it could matter where it's located in the engine bay, and how hot or subject to vibration that area is. Could the oily coating be road grime that's made it through the radiator or up from underneath? I know mine gets mucky on the front and am pretty sure that's the source.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:40 pm 

The cap would not tighten, just as it felt like it had it would click and go over the thread and loosen again ! as I say a cap from a 5 LTR OIL sorted it
The mounting point seems pretty firm (maybe its to much bouncing around the fields slopping the fluid around)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 am 

Also today I replaced the cap that the lube feed tube passes through, again the thread would not tighten ,
Quick fix, a cap from a T Cut polish bottle fits a treat (and it comes with a hole already it the top)
RESULT!