LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: lexus gs300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:10 pm 

after my previous lpg omega was written off , ive so ifound myself running a 2000 lexus gs300 with only 80k on the clock , so i want to convert this car thinking along the lines of king 5/6/8 ecu , omvl dream xxi g hp reducer ,valtec 34 injectors ,, do i need valve save on the straight six 3.0 engine ? also any one know what is the biggest tank i can get in the boot ? thanks

Post subject: Re: lexus gs300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 am 
Installer

Omega 6 cyl engines are V6 not straight 6 ;-) I did prefer the older Senator which had a straight 6.

I've converted them with spare wheel tanks and with cylindrical tanks. A cylinder tank mounted in the boot will of course always take up boot space, spare wheel tanks don't need to take up any boot space but it's possible to fit a taller spare wheel tank (that rises above boot floor level so takes up a bit of boot space) - You choose the compromise.

Won't need a lube.

You probably haven't looked how/where to route injector pipes on the V6 yet - You'll at least be removing the upper manifold to fit normal spuds (access to correct location). When fitting spuds make sure they're not in a location that will pinch injector pipes when the upper manifold is refitted :roll: ...there isn't much clearance between the lower and upper manifold to route injector pipes without pinching them even when this is considered. Obviously if an injector pipe is pinched it will lead to problems with misfire/lean fuelling to the affected cylinder - Small diameter (4mm ID) injector pipes are a good idea for this engine for an amateur (easier to route without pinching) but would rule out most injectors (that have outlets to suit 6mm ID pipe injector pipe)...

I have sorted loads of Omega's with pinched injector pipes. One comes to mind where the owner had had his car converted 5 years ago but it had always run poorly under heavy engine load... Over those years he had re-visited the original installer many times, taken the car to a few other installers and even taken the car to the LPG equipment supplier, none of them correctly identified the problem but he'd paid them for diagnostics, new plugs, coil packs and several sets of LPG injectors. The same has happened with MG V6's.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:54 pm 

thanks for prompt reply , yes i havent looked too far into full puipes routes yet but compared to some its at leats accessible , im guessing tubbs isnt doing this anymore ?or have i missed something ?as i will need it obviously checking and testing

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:22 pm 
Intermediate Member

cortinagav wrote:
thanks for prompt reply , yes i havent looked too far into full puipes routes yet but compared to some its at leats accessible , im guessing tubbs isnt doing this anymore ?or have i missed something ?as i will need it obviously checking and testing

thanks

Unfortunately Tubbs doesn't appear to be about anymore.

Simon - Re the valve lube you might want to reread the original post and double check, its a Lexus that looking to be converted, not the Omega?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:47 pm 
Installer

Brian_H wrote:
Simon - Re the valve lube you might want to reread the original post and double check, its a Lexus that looking to be converted, not the Omega?
Oops yes my mistake.. Seems I didn't take the post in properly, read Omega and responded to that! Sorry Gav, yes the Lexus will need a lube... And none of what I wrote about crimped injector pipes is of any relevance whatsoever either :lol:

If it's a later model GS300 than around 2005, be wary because that's when Lexus V6's started using mixed fuel systems (both direct injection and port injection), wouldn't really want to buy one of those if intention is to convert it to LPG.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:54 pm 

its a 2000 , with only 80 k and fsh , so flash lube it is then , who is able /recommended for the inspection ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:18 pm 
Installer

cortinagav wrote:
its a 2000 , with only 80 k and fsh , so flash lube it is then , who is able /recommended for the inspection ?

Me :D I'm not a UKLPG member so have to pay someone else to register it on UKLPG's database (that's if you do want it on the database?), or you might just want a competent person's cert? Even if you want it on the database my price won't be much different to most UKLPG members prices, a fair check and no retest fee in case anything needs changing - not hoping to find problems and won't invent any. Could calibrate it for you at the same time.

I also sell DIY kits, supplied with my tech support plus the above services included. I make nearly as much just charging for the above services so I don't mind where DIYers buy bits from suppliers, don't phone or email me for tech support but do come to me anyway for checking and calibration ;-) Never know I might answer tech support questions on forum if parts are bought elsewhere.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:45 pm 

silly idea , is it worth ripping the brc system off the omega and fitting that ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:48 pm 
Intermediate Member

Any idea which brc system it is?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:45 pm 

i will check when i can get to the car next