LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:38 pm 

Folks,
I wonder if anyone has dealt with this problem before?
I've got the Tinley Tech dual tank setup and the petrol pump has failed. There's a hole in the boot floor so I can (sort of) reach the pump module but the gasket is so tight I can't shift it.
When I fitted the pump it seemed tight, but now after a couple of years it seems utterly immobile. Does anyone have any smart ideas that will help me replace the pump?
The Jeep is of course stuck at home and won't start on gas.

Just for laughs, here's a photo:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:51 pm 
Installer

There was a thread on this recently, you should be able to find it.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:00 pm 

Is the petrol pump definitely dead? Have you checked the fuses in the fusebox?

Also it might be worth resetting the PCM before condemning the fuel pump - disconnect the battery earth terminal clamp from the battery and connect it to the battery positive for about 30 seconds (you may have to use a jumper wire - whatever you do, DON'T connect battery +ve and -ve together, just the earth terminal/lead to the +ve terminal after disconnecting the earth terminal from the battery) and this discharges the capacitors in the PCM (Powertrain Command Module aka ECU) to reset all the data in it as they're known to become corrupted quite easily.

I had a three-pronged fault recently on my Cherokee that i fixed using this method - apparently dead alternator, Lambda sensor and starter motor. All are controlled by the PCM as is the fuel pump so it could be worth a try. :wink: :D

What sort of LPG system have you got? There is an emergency starting procedure on some that allows you to start on gas (takes a bit of cranking in my experience) for example if you've run out of petrol. I think the method of invoking the emergency start varies depending on the system but i'm sure someone like Simon would know it.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 am 
Advanced Member

Can't really see how it's supposed to come out from that picture Miles. Does it just pull out and the gasket has glued itself to the top of the tank and the underside of the pump flange? I that case, running a Stanley knife blade around it should do the trick (yes I know, the Stanley knife does seem to get used for an awful lot of things....).

Don't you have a single point on the Jeep? In which case it should be possible to tell it to start on gas.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm 

Aye, that would be me - exact same situation. Dead fuel pump, and a Prins system which won't start on gas. I have another GC which runs a King system, and that'll start on gas, but not the Prins.
You can see the fuel pump gasket arrangement here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump-Ass ... Swe-FU-CBr - that's the same one I bought, works fine.
And it looks like you have knocked the pressure regulator off the top, so will definitely need a new one!
I just knocked screwdrivers under the lip (after taking off the metal retaining ring, which I see you have done) and it gradually came out - then it bounced out and threw petrol everywhere when I lifted it out.
If that hadn't worked, knowing what I do now, I'd just knock screwdrivers through the side of the pump where necessary, as you'll be replacing the entire module, and yank it out like that. You don't need any of the old parts - the new pump comes with regulator, gaskets, everything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:08 pm 

Here's my thread, by the way - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14066

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 am 
Installer

LPGC wrote:
There was a thread on this recently, you should be able to find it.

camaro wrote:
Aye, that would be me - exact same situation

camaro wrote:
Here's my thread, by the way - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14066

Cheers Camaro

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:08 pm 

Well I got it out :)
Sorry I didn't reply earlier! I had to take the pressure regulator off to get to the nuts on the retaining ring. I'd done that when putting it in too.. it just snaps out and back again.
I had checked the feed for voltage, and it was good so I was pretty sure it was the pump. The new one is in and pumps fuel. Now I just need to get some replacement line made up because the original pipe was cut down and a flexi pipe clamped over the top which crushed it and caused a leak :(