LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:28 pm 

As per the subject line really! This is the sort of animal i'm on about :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320976281909? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The blurb on it says it needs a 12mm hole drilled for it to be mounted which suggests about a 10mm bore through the main tube that feeds the gas into the mixer itself. Given the output on a vap is 17-19mm this seemed very small to me until i measured a "normal" mixer at random just now. The bore of the brass elbow that feeds the gas into the mixer is 9.8mm so maybe the 12mm hole isn't too small.

Other than that obvious difference, it seems like a normal mixer, just "inside out" compared to the traditional ring type mixers.

Has anyone tried one of these at all? If so were the results good, bad, indifferent or not wildly different to a normal mixer? I'm seriously thinking of trying one as the space for installation on mine is very limited and using the traditional mixer makes it nigh-on impossible to refit the air intake trunking! Eventually managed it with an extra pair of hands after several goes!

You can see in the pic how tight things are with a traditional mixer so if these are any good then i think it would be the way for me to go.

All comments/suggestions useful thanks!

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:59 am 
Installer

They have been around for a long time and are a step forward from the simple spud pipe. I consider them a last resort when there is no way of fitting a mixer. They can need a lot of restriction to pull enough on the vaporiser.

On you install there if there is any way you can remove the elbow in the value line I would and if possible use the bottom outlet

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm 

Thanks for the reply - i can see a few points where the diffuser might not be ideal.

Short of having a big loop of vapour pipe running over the top of the engine or gearbox there's no way of removing the elbow unless i mount the vap the other side of the engine bay which would still give a seriously long vapour pipe.

Coming out the bottom of the vap isn't really an option either as it would be pretty close to the rear exhaust header.

The only other way would be to mount the vap between the inner and outer wings but that would mean drilling holes for the liquid, vapour and coolant lines and removing the wheel arch liner and front wheel any time it needed tuning/maintenance etc.

As far as i can tell, i've mounted the vap in about the only place possible for that car and the elbow was a necessary evil. It's because it's so cramped i'm thinking of a diffuser mixer, mounted either just inside the throttle body or in the air intake trunking just before it joins the throttle body. For preference it would be the throttle body as there's a bit of a natural venturi there which would give increased airflow over the diffuser and a more rigid mounting on the alloy throttle body.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo