LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:34 pm 

Gilbertd wrote:
I'm on oil and the only downside is the gauges are no more accurate that the average car LPG gas gauge. You know it's getting low but aren't sure just how low as the difference in reading between having 100 litres left and 10 litres left is pretty marginal.

Our previous house was on oil - at this time of year the level of frost on the plastic tank gave a reasonable idea of the level. In the summer we used a broom handle with lines scratched into it - as like you say, the ultrasonic Watchman sensors can be a bit approximate!

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:04 pm 
Advanced Member

I've got a steel tank with a weighted float on a bit of string that turns a dial gauge and measures the amount above the bottom of the tank. Problem is that the bottom of the float hits the bottom of the tank when there's still a good 50 litres left so when it says it's empty it's somewhere between 60-70 litres and naff all......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:33 pm 

This is looking a bit of a non starter, one company is insisting tanks with both a liquid and vapour take off don't exist! Current prices locally seem to be around 36ppl inc 5% vat as heating fuel.
A rough calculation on my part says
32ppl ex vat
31.6 per kg duty so roughly 16ppl duty
20% vat on fuel + duty 9.6ppl
All up 57.6ppl duty paid nearest forecourt is about 62ppl when it's back in stock and I have to buy my own tank, pump and meter, I doubt I would be ahead by the time the tank needed another 10 year test :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:11 pm 
Advanced Member

Tanks with a liquid take off do exist but aren't that common. Your sums suggest much as I thought. While it's feasible it isn't really a big money saver. Probably worth it if you don't have a local filling station but if there is somewhere local, or somewhere that you regularly pass, then probably not worth the hassle.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am 
Installer

Gilbertd wrote:
Tanks with a liquid take off do exist but aren't that common. Your sums suggest much as I thought. While it's feasible it isn't really a big money saver. Probably worth it if you don't have a local filling station but if there is somewhere local, or somewhere that you regularly pass, then probably not worth the hassle.

Same thoughts here.

On other forums/threads I'm talking with people who reckon LPG isn't available within a 30 minute drive of their home and the nearest places to fill with LPG charge 70ppL. I suggested a bulk tank at home could make sense for such people if they were to run an LPG car and that they're likely to have space for a bulk tank - They have space to park vehicles on their property because they currently run or are considering running EVs and have to park EVs on their property to charge them.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 pm 

This is what you want

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-Tank-Pum ... 0005.m1851

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 pm 

bendyone wrote:

Plus another £1k for a meter, that takes some getting back even saving 10ppl

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:13 pm 

Been there, done that I'm afraid. Heating a house off grid via LPG is very expensive, simply because there's really only two suppliers, Flogas & Calor and they've got you by the...

You'd think a tank would see returns via the back-route, - low-price LPG for motor use. Only when you do the numbers... You lease you tank or have to buy it at a crazy price, and if you own it, they won't always fill it.

With a large house, oil or LPG was just too darn dear. I had 21 rads and a draugthy period home, so coal paid for itself (via a Dowling Sumo Boiler) in under 4 years. It cost nearer £8,000 to put in, flues and all, but off-grid LPG was that pricey, I had to do soemthing. Sadly, coal won't run a car, so easily.

These days, and moved, I have mains gas, and run the car off that, and yes, that is viable. Very. But LPG off you own tank, sorry, doesn't work. Just not viable. I have to say, I would never consider a house without mains gas again.