LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: BRC diy supply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:21 pm 

Hi all
My daughter has just bought a Honda Civic 1.8 2008 and wants me to convert it to lpg
I would like to use BRC system as i currently use one in my wife's Honda CRV and have been greatly impressed with it over the past two years
Can anyone guide me to where I can obtain a BRC system?
If not what would be the current top system?
Cheers Neil

Post subject: Re: BRC diy supply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:07 pm 
Installer

I wouldn't recommend BRC as a DIY prospect. There are a number of quite different BRC ECU's (Sequent, Seq24, Seq24MY07, Seq56, P&D, etc), some of which need setup equipment and files that are only usually supplied to dealers.

Example - Sequent24 is one of the most commonly seen BRC systems on 4 cylinder vehicles (because it isn't as expensive as some BRC systems).. To calibrate Sequent24 you need to connect a map sensor which is only used during calibration, after calibration this is unplugged/un-piped and left on the shelf until you calibrate the next Sequent24 system. Might also need some 'base' files which are usually only supplied to dealers, in fact the map sensor and legit (best) interface cable are too only usually supplied to dealers.

Pleased to read you've had good results with BRC on the wife's CRV, though you could be equally as impressed with a different type of LPG system on the daughter's CRV.

There is no 'top system', BRC is well respected and has been for many years but it always played second fiddle to Prins. The thing about both BRC and Prins is that they had very decent injectors at a time when the injectors used with most other systems were comparatively poor, this is the single greatest reason why these systems gained their good reputation... Lima is Prins except instead of Keihin injectors it has a different type of injectors - never anything more than an average system, a poor system by today's standards. These days injectors are generally much better, much more reliable and better performing, some are just as reliable and as good performers as Keihin/BRC but a fraction of the cost. At one time systems could all be given a single label, given one brand name you'd know what parts the system would comprise. That's still the case with some labels but systems are now available in discrete component form so we need 3 labels to know what a system will comprise (ECU/reducer/injectors). Such systems should not be regarded 'hybrids' or inferior - this approach has the advantage that parts can be selected to better suit the vehicle, mostly for very valid technical reasons but sometimes even helping with neatness of installation.

If you approach BRC GB they'll likely tell you they'll supply you if you pay £1000 up front for training, to be re-imbursed by way of discounts over the next ten BRC systems you order.. not really viable for a DIYer! You could buy BRC bits elsewhere (other UK suppliers or from abroad) but you may struggle to obtain things like afore-mentioned map sensor/files and then would certainly struggle with tech support.. 'elsewhere' almost always won't know much about BRC (even if they do usually offer some basic level of tech support for DIYers), little help to be found with BRC on forums such as this too.

I sell DIY kits with parts selected to suit the intended vehicle, kits include tech support, I could sell you a BRC kit if you're adamant.. Would rather supply a different system, which would be less expensive yet just as good or better in all respects while at the same time more DIY friendly. In the case of BRC I would very strongly advise you visit once installed so I could calibrate the system for you (not the most user friendly / would prevent you buying parts you'd only use once). Even in the case of a system I'd usually advise for a CRV I'd recommend you visit for calibration, some models of CRV are not the easiest to do a decent job of calibration with regardless of system.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:07 pm 
Installer

I wouldn't recommend BRC as a DIY prospect. There are a number of quite different BRC ECU's (Sequent, Seq24, Seq24MY07, Seq56, P&D, etc), some of which need setup equipment and files that are only usually supplied to dealers.

Example - Sequent24 is one of the most commonly seen BRC systems on 4 cylinder vehicles (because it isn't as expensive as some BRC systems).. To calibrate Sequent24 you need to connect a map sensor which is only used during calibration, after calibration this is unplugged/un-piped and left on the shelf until you calibrate the next Sequent24 system. Might also need some 'base' files which are usually only supplied to dealers, in fact the map sensor and legit (best) interface cable are too only usually supplied to dealers.

Pleased to read you've had good results with BRC on the wife's CRV, though you could be equally as impressed with a different type of LPG system on the daughter's CRV.

There is no 'top system', BRC is well respected and has been for many years but it always played second fiddle to Prins. The thing about both BRC and Prins is that they had very decent injectors at a time when the injectors used with most other systems were comparatively poor, this is the single greatest reason why these systems gained their good reputation... Lima is Prins except instead of Keihin injectors it has a different type of injectors - never anything more than an average system, a poor system by today's standards. These days injectors are generally much better, much more reliable and better performing, some are just as reliable and as good performers as Keihin/BRC but a fraction of the cost. At one time systems could all be given a single label, given one brand name you'd know what parts the system would comprise. That's still the case with some labels but systems are now available in discrete component form so we need 3 labels to know what a system will comprise (ECU/reducer/injectors). Such systems should not be regarded 'hybrids' or inferior - this approach has the advantage that parts can be selected to better suit the vehicle, mostly for very valid technical reasons but sometimes even helping with neatness of installation.

If you approach BRC GB they'll likely tell you they'll supply you if you pay £1000 up front for training, to be re-imbursed by way of discounts over the next ten BRC systems you order.. not really viable for a DIYer! You could buy BRC bits elsewhere (other UK suppliers or from abroad) but you may struggle to obtain things like afore-mentioned map sensor/files and then would certainly struggle with tech support.. 'elsewhere' almost always won't know much about BRC (even if they do usually offer some basic level of tech support for DIYers), little help to be found with BRC on forums such as this too.

I sell DIY kits with parts selected to suit the intended vehicle, kits include tech support, I could sell you a BRC kit if you're adamant.. Would rather supply a different system, which would be less expensive yet just as good or better in all respects while at the same time more DIY friendly. In the case of BRC I would very strongly advise you visit once installed so I could calibrate the system for you (not the most user friendly / would prevent you buying parts you'd only use once). Even in the case of a system I'd usually advise for a CRV I'd recommend you visit for calibration, some models of CRV are not the easiest to do a decent job of calibration with regardless of system.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:43 pm 

Hi Simon
Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
Can you give me a quote for the kit to convert the Civic with your recommended system.
I'm an experienced service engineer and experienced working with cars (currently fully rebuilding a TR6)
My email is added below
Cheers Neil
neil.greig@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:37 pm 
Installer

Email sent Neil

Cheers, Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,