LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Minimum Filler Height
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 am 

Elsewhere in the forum i found a reference to an amendment to the COP II regs mentioned that says the minimum filler height should be at least 500mm from the ground.

I was planning on fitting it next to the towbar when i convert my Rovers, using the towbar as the main bracket with whatever other brackets/plates needed to ensure it is strong enough. This gives a centre height of about 350mm from the deck for the filler. Drilling the bodywork is NOT an option and the bumpers aren't a great idea so it doesn't leave me many options other than a towbar mounted filler.

The only other possible option is there are some fillet panels just underneath the rear lights. They are 600mm+ from the deck so are fine on that score. However they are pretty thin and only there for cosmetic purposes so no point trying to mount the filler in them - besides, they are only about 55mm wide so the normal "large" body mounted filler is a no-no.
My thoughts were to make a hinge arrangement for one of these fillets with a catch to conceal the filler with a bracket behind to mount one of those basic filler points with the bracket bolted to a hidden part of the bodywork underneath the light.

I'm not sure how much space there is behind this fillet panel but assuming there is enough space to mount a basic filler point behind it would this be viable?

Or could i still get away with mounting the filler (as originally planned) next to the towbar? I have no plans to sell either Rover so it would be for my own use only.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 am 
Advanced Member

What CoP 11 actually says is:

The fill connector should be located so as to be readily accessible for the user.
> Petrol fillers are often positioned approximately 800 mm above the ground. Fillers mounted at a height of less than 500 mm above the ground are likely to prove awkward to use.

So it's not an edict more of a comment. My filler is in the centre of the rear bumper in the space for a second towbar electrics socket if I had twin electrics. It's convenient, in as much as I can pull up at either side of the pump and easy to use, I don't have to grovel on the floor to get to it like some I have seen.

Although I do have air suspension so can alter the height above ground at the touch of a button on the dash but I still doubt that on the highest setting I'd manage 500mm. I'll try measuring it when I've got nothing better to do.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16 am 

Agreed - that's how I'm interpreting it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:38 pm 

Thanks both for the feedback and the pic Richard - that's a neat install!

Towbar mount it will be then!

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo