LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:11 am 
Advanced Member

LairdScooby wrote:
Register the boat and the LPG install here perhaps Richard?
Good idea in theory but then he'd run into the problem of nowhere to fill it. As no boats run LPG none of the marina filling stations sell it and it would get a bit inconvenient having to haul it out of the water to take it to the nearest LPG filling station. In fact thinking about it, the nearest LPG filling station to the marina where it lives is a Carrefour supermarket with a very narrow exit and a tight corner so he'd probably never get it out (it's bad enough in a Range Rover!). It's one of these http://medway.boatshed.com/cranchi_turc ... 70723.html so a decent size and he doesn't have a trailer for it anyway......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:07 am 

Only £16 grand for that boat? I'll take 3!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose it wouldn't be practical to fit multiple tanks and fill up in the UK - you'd probably use more gas just for the fill up trip than it would cost to keep it in France running it on the expensive stuff.

It's a real shame the froggies don't "get on board" with the idea of LPG for boats. Every pun intended there by the way! :lol: What about filling up in countries other than France or the UK that are nearer? Belgium, Holland, Spain etc - would any of those be viable? Seems ludicrous you can't find some way round it to make it less of a wallet-breaeker to use it!

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 am 
Advanced Member

LairdScooby wrote:
I suppose it wouldn't be practical to fit multiple tanks and fill up in the UK - you'd probably use more gas just for the fill up trip than it would cost to keep it in France running it on the expensive stuff.
Errm, not really. The boat is kept in a place called Port de la Rague in Theoule-sur-Mer which is about 3 miles from Cannes on the Mediteranean. It's a 792 mile drive from getting off the ferry in Calais......
LairdScooby wrote:
It's a real shame the froggies don't "get on board" with the idea of LPG for boats.
Like most other European countries, the LPG industry is much more heavily regulated there than here. Things like conversions can only be done by Government approved installers, only kits type approved for a particular vehicle can be fitted and so on. Even in Italy where LPG (and CNG) is widely used (hence most kits being Italian made), all components must come from the same manufacturer which is why you get the multiple different badged versions of the AEB controllers. LPG in boats is a definite no-no in France even though a lot of this goes back to a few accidents years ago. Much the same as you need a licence to drive a boat with anything over a 10hp engine due to accidents involving drunken rich kids in Daddies boat not obeying the rules and running over swimmers (which reminds me, my licence has expired and needs renewing). People fitted single point systems to boats and ran them from Propane bottles. A tiny leak, or just the remaining vapour in the intake after you turn the engine off dribbling out of the air intake, in your car isn't important but it is on a boat. The gas leaks out and pools in the bottom of the bilges. Unless you have a bilge blower fitted and remember to use it to suck that gas out of the bilges, as soon as you start the motor, there's sparks inside the distributor and boom, no more boat.
LairdScooby wrote:
What about filling up in countries other than France or the UK that are nearer? Belgium, Holland, Spain etc - would any of those be viable? Seems ludicrous you can't find some way round it to make it less of a wallet-breaeker to use it!
Nearest alternative country would be Italy and even then it's about 50 miles to the nearest Italian town of Ventimiglia and I'm not sure they allow LPG there either. You'd need to find a marina filling station too as you can't just nip into the motorway services, getting something like that craned out of the water isn't cheap.

Put it this way, there is no demand. It's much like the argument Rolls Royce would come out with, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. If you can't afford to run the boat, you don't buy it. The engine says it's a Volvo Penta but in reality it's a marinised Ford Windsor 351 V8. In a car at 60 mph that motor would probably do 15 mpg at best so that would be 4 gallons, or 18 litres per hour. In a boat it might use marginally less once you get it up on the plane and throttle back. It has a 300 litre petrol tank so a full tank will give 20-25 hours use. Fill it up with 300 quids worth at the beginning of the year when you pay your 1200 Euros port mooring fees and you're set for quite a few days of fun or 2 trips to Corsica and back.

But we've got a hell of a way off spark plugs now which is what this thread was about originally.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:54 pm 

All good points there and in all honesty, i'd mostly not considiered them. I suppose if you have the kind of money to throw at a boat like that you're not bothered about running it on gas or petrol anyway.

As you say........................spark plugs!!!! Thread drift, don't you just love it! :wink: :lol: :D

On a more serious note, as a relative newcomer to gas-powered engines (in cars at least) my point of view on the sprak plugs is to use either standard and change them more often if necessary or perhaps try the NGK Iridium ones if i find the standard ones are toast after 10k or so. With the cost involved with standard Vs Iridium Vs "LPG specific" this seems to make the most sense to me at the moment. However i may change my mind in time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 pm 
Advanced Member

LairdScooby wrote:
my point of view on the sprak plugs is to use either standard and change them more often if necessary or perhaps try the NGK Iridium ones if i find the standard ones are toast after 10k or so.
See my post of Nov 30th on page 1 of this thread. That's the exact advice I give everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:19 pm 

Gilbertd wrote:
LairdScooby wrote:
my point of view on the sprak plugs is to use either standard and change them more often if necessary or perhaps try the NGK Iridium ones if i find the standard ones are toast after 10k or so.
See my post of Nov 30th on page 1 of this thread. That's the exact advice I give everyone.

Great minds think alike! I have to confess to skim reading this thread! :oops: