LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: SELF INSTALL
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:58 pm 

Hi I am a newbie to the forum and now I am retired I am going to fit my own system to my mercedes E200 kt. I a time served mechanical engineer with 48 years in engineering and have garage with ramp and time to make a good job of ths fitting. I have been reading all sorts of different material and conversing with the manufacturers of my particulat kit for a few months now and i am going to start the fitting next week.
The only thing i am uncertain of is the distance the two vent pipes have to be from the exhaust, and in all the reading i have done seems there are a few variations on this. I hope someone can give me some help on the correct recomendation on this it would be gratefully recieved. Andy :roll:

Post subject: Re: SELF INSTALL
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
Intermediate Member

For the benefit of others looking for the answer (and to allow comment if anyone thinks I'm wrong !), I'll repeat what I put in my email earlier :
Quote:
Well CoP11 which is "the bible" says :
Free cross sectional area of not less than 450mm^2, tubing should preferably fall throughout it's length.

Openings should be :
1) direct to the outside air
2) no closer than 100mm from engine exhaust system or other heat sources, and not directed directly towards them
3) protected by position or other means from blockage

So no direct prohibition from being above the exhaust, but if the vent is vertical it would fail the second bit of item 2.

Alternatively the tanks can be in separate compartment which is sealed from the rest of the vehicle. In this case, the compartment should be vented by openings totalling 2,000mm^2. They should be direct to outside air at the lowest practical position in the compartment, plus items 2 & 3 above.

I'll add that it would obviously be a good idea to keep the vents as far as is practical from the exhaust and any electrics etc. Normally, the pipe is terminated with a 'top hat' fitting which has a flange for screwing it to the panel. The pipe will naturally be perpendicular to the panel, and so if it's in a floor then it will be pointing downwards - in which case putting it above the exhaust would fail the "not directly at" bit, which is probably where people are getting their "not above the exhaust" rule from.

PS - welcome to the forum, you'll probably find it useful during the upcoming conversion.

PPS - as the kit you have is good for a much larger engine than you have, you'll need to be especially careful to check the injector nozzle size.

Post subject: SELF INSTALL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 pm 

thanks for clarifing the vent situation Simon, and I have taken note of the nozzle coments, although i think the manufacture covers that pretty well on there site, but no doubt i will be asking more questions over the next month or so, After retirement the saying "theres always tommorrow" suddenly becomes true, so i will not have to hurry my installation. best regards Andy :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: SELF INSTALL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

SimonHobson wrote:
Quote:
Well CoP11 which is "the bible" says :
Free cross sectional area of not less than 450mm^2, tubing should preferably fall throughout it's length.

Openings should be :
1) direct to the outside air
2) no closer than 100mm from engine exhaust system or other heat sources, and not directed directly towards them
3) protected by position or other means from blockage

So no direct prohibition from being above the exhaust, but if the vent is vertical it would fail the second bit of item 2.

Alternatively the tanks can be in separate compartment which is sealed from the rest of the vehicle. In this case, the compartment should be vented by openings totalling 2,000mm^2. They should be direct to outside air at the lowest practical position in the compartment, plus items 2 & 3 above.

is the CoP11 available online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm 
Advanced Member

LPGA will sell you a copy but the text of it used to be here http://www.geocities.com/lpgmanuk/cop11.html . Unfortunately it looks like someone has rumbled that and it's been pulled as now the page just says Sorry, the GeoCities web site you were trying to reach is no longer available.

I thought I copied and pasted the text into a Word document but can't remember what I saved it as (CoP11.doc would have been logical) but can't seem to find it now so maybe I thought about doing it but never did, Doh......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm 

Ideally you want the two vents at different heights (even if it is just two or three inches difference) as this will give a natural flow of air.

After reading COP11 I decided it was just basically good engineering practice that any well trained thinking mechanically aware person would apply.
Just use common sense and your experience, you shouldn't find anything too daunting.

For your main front rear pipe I would recommend using Polyflex pipe as it is a lot easier to install than copper.