LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Volvo V40 200+k!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:43 pm 

Hi guys, my story is a positive one.
In December 2008 I was given a r-reg Volvov40 2.0i with 186k on the clock, some tax, no mot, a full tank of gas and 1/3 tank of petrol. It wouldn't run on gas and wouldn't do more than 60 on petrol. Booked in for an mot, just needed a side light bulb.
The kit that had been installed in 2001(when the car had 56k on the clock) was a BRC Fox front end with a stako 70l tank and had at some point had an OMVL multi-valve fitted.
Some explorations led me to the 'cat-flap' backfire arrestor which was firmly wedged shut. Some careful manipulation freed it and the car seemed to run on gas.
It occasionally backfired and wouldn't idle properly but I soon got into
the knack of switching to petrol just before junctions.
The misfire ended up being a dodgy plug lead which was replaced by one gleaned from a scrappy.
I ran it like this till August last year when one day it hissed and ground to a halt. I ran it for a while just on petrol until I could bare it no longer. A quick email to a seller of repair/service kits on ebay bagged me a repair kit. I removed the fox vaporizer and carefully stripped it down, cleaned it and rebuilt it with new seals, diaphragms etc during coffe breaks at work. It sat carefully in bubblewrap in the bottom of my toolchest.
This is November and we had the worst rain ever. The workshop had about 12 to 18" of lakewater in it and sure enough my vaporizer was full of water. A quick strip, dry and reassemble and reinstall into my car later and all is well. It now runs like a dream, it idles nicely and I get 400 miles plus from a tank which cost me £28 to fill from empty. Last december it went for the dreaded mot again and..... it flew thru again, needing only a side light bulb.
In the 13 months I have owned it the only real expenditure has been on fuel,insurance and roadtax. The only other items have been the plug leads (£20 from scrappy including airbox to replace the knackered one on the car) and £30 for the repair kit, oh and some wiperblades and two bulbs :D
The volvo now has over 200k on the clock, which means that it has covered nearly 150k on gas, I would suggest that the volvo v40 with 2.0i engine is most suitable for lpg conversion. I certainly am happy with my freebie volvo :D :D
P.S. the guys on here have been very helpful aswell as I knew stuff all about LPG systems and they guided me thru a few things, although I think I might have taxed their memories a bit with the archaic system on my car :oops: )

Post subject: Re: My Volvo V40 200+k!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:22 pm 
Intermediate Member

Great example of budget motoring and ingenuity :D Of course, some people would like to see such 'old' cars scrapped and replaced with something that'll be in the scrapyard itself before long when it's not worth fixing all the electronics :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:35 pm 

SimonHobson wrote:
Great example of budget motoring and ingenuity :D Of course, some people would like to see such 'old' cars scrapped and replaced with something that'll be in the scrapyard itself before long when it's not worth fixing all the electronics :roll:

I agree, it's a second car, my other one is a '97 VW caravelle with 212k on the clock and they've both proved to be better than some newer cars I've driven with a lot less miles on them.
(p.s. where about in Cumbria are you ? I'm in Windermere)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am 
Intermediate Member

marco wrote:
I agree, it's a second car, my other one is a '97 VW caravelle with 212k on the clock and they've both proved to be better than some newer cars I've driven with a lot less miles on them.
(p.s. where about in Cumbria are you ? I'm in Windermere)

I'm down near Barrow, so not far away.

My fleet consists of two Land Rovers which will be turning 21 this year - the 110 is my 'car', the 90 is the 'toy'. It's been noticable that for the last few weeks, I've not had any comments along the lines of "what on earth do you want one of those for" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:42 am 
Intermediate Member

That's right, this month has been the only time since I have had my Outlander for 5 years that the BMW and Merc owners in our street have taken any interest in it.
"So it's all wheel drive?".
Me "yes".
"Has it got high and low ratios?".
Me "no".
"It still get's up the hill?"
Me "yes, but so does our Zafira,just".
"What is it again?"
Me "An all wheel drive Mitsubishi"
Them "Oh, what's that black cap next the the petrol filler flap?"
Repeat as necessary.
At least they can get around in their wife's small cars in the snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:19 pm 

I've been able to stick my fingers up at a few people recently too. Like my colleague who drives a 59 Plate C-Class Merc and couldn't get it off his flat drive for a meeting 10 miles away. I drove over 70 miles to get to the same meeting in my Zuki and it didn't miss a heart beat (nor did I).

It's all very well having a sofa on wheels but not much point if it's only any good on the flat and in the dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:11 pm 

My friend does a lot of work in Aviemore and the alps etc, and every winter the snow tyres go on and so far he's never got stuck. His wife used the car last week to go over Kirkstone pass and the snow was so deep she had to keep accelerating down to Ullswater!! It's a skoda too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:13 pm 

BTW Simon who do you use to service your lpg system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:10 pm 
Intermediate Member

marco wrote:
BTW Simon who do you use to service your lpg system?

I do it myself - I fitted it, don't see any reason not to maintain it :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 pm 

[quote="marco"]My friend does a lot of work in Aviemore and the alps etc, and every winter the snow tyres go on and so far he's never got stuck. His wife used the car last week to go over Kirkstone pass and the snow was so deep she had to keep accelerating down to Ullswater!! It's a skoda too.[/quote]

M&S tyres are of more value than 4 wheel drive ---- seen a few Chelsea tractors stuck because of being fitted with silly ultra low profile rubber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm 
Intermediate Member

The Nokian G2 is a very good mud and snow tyre but the tread is not too aggressive to use every day on the road. They are made in Finland and have to meet government m+s specs to be used on roads in Finland.
We have 2 on our Outlander at the front, they are £80-90 each fitted. They have amazing grip on wet roads too.
I am going to try them on my Zafira next time I need front tyres. If they can make that driveable in the snow the makers deserve a medal.