LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: new member hi, need help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:57 pm 
Hi all im a new member and also new to LPG, i am hoping somebody can help me as i am starting to think i made a mistake converting to LPG. I have had a list of problems since getting it done, from the car cutting out, the engine management light coming on, etc. But worse than that is my fuel consumption has gone from 23mpg to 14mpg and my 70 litre tank will only hold 47 litres, bad combination. Its been in and out the gagage 5 times now and had a new tank fitted today and guess what it only holds 47 litres, now im told a 70L tank will only fill to 80% of its capacity so i should get 56 litres. That and the poor fuel economy is driving me mad as i have to fill up every 130 miles or so! any ideas will be well recieved, thanks Ian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:52 pm 
Intermediate Member

23mpg to 14mpg

That ratio about matches mine on the long run mode ..

But I do more short runs than long runs ...
and LPG consumption on these works out the same as petrol

longs runs

petrol best 41 mpg ............lpg best ...........31 mpg

short trips
.. petrol ........21 mpg ...........lpg 21 mpg

So only look at your long distance runs ...if thats all you do you're loosing.

If you are doing shorties like me .you're quids in

My tank is an 80 litre tank

When it was in the sierra it held 61 litres

Now it's in the rover... .it holds 58 litres

Just a little twist in the orientation of the tank can make a few litres difference.

BTW ...14 mpg on 47 litres is about 150 miles range

ANOTHER BTW.... take note of my tips in other posts on not using the cars heater for the first few miles ....to save "up to" 25 percent on your fuel consumption.

all the best.markj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm 
thanks for the tips, i have filled up at other stations and have the same problem, should have mentioned the car is a kia sorento 3.5 v6 and the system is a OMVL with STAKO toroidal 70 litre tank. things are worse today as it keeps cutting out when changing over to lpg, complete pain!
contacted the installer who just says ive never come across that before which isnt helping. just wondering also if anyone knows if it matters where the filler cap should be located as i have been told mine is in the wrong place as it should be low as possible to prevent an over pressure, not sure what to make of that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:47 pm 
Intermediate Member

Quote:
contacted the installer who just says ive never come across that before

:lol: ... search the posts here ...that's probably in the top ten of faults.

I would mention trading standards to him

all the best.markj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:41 pm 
Intermediate Member

minesy wrote:
should have mentioned the car is a kia sorento 3.5 v6 and the system is a OMVL with STAKO toroidal 70 litre tank.

My guess on the filling side of things is that the 'innards' got moved when fitting the valve to the tank. Multivalves for toroidals have a rubber pipe which is intended to take vapour from above the liquid in the event of the pressure relief valve venting. This has to be 'squished up' to get it (along with the float and pick-up pipe) through the hole and it can easily end up getting in the way of the float arm - though it more normally stops the arm floating up and the tank overfills. It could be that the float arm/cut off setup got disturbed during installation. It would need the tank emptying and the valve taking out to check.
Quote:
also if anyone knows if it matters where the filler cap should be located as i have been told mine is in the wrong place as it should be low as possible to prevent an over pressure, not sure what to make of that!

I call "male bovine excrement" to that ! The filler can be anywhere that's convenient and has sufficient space - and isn't over the exhaust outlet, vents, or windows.