LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:41 pm 
Intermediate Member

My story with Gas ? It all started about 8 years ago, I had a turbo-diseasel 90, fancied a Discovery, and REALLY fancied a V8. A V8 Disco came up locally, nice condition, good price, bought it.
Set out to convert it, and back then it was REALLY hard to find any information - if I knew then what I know now and all that. I used a kit from Chris Perfect who did various bits for Land Rovers. It was never quite right as the mixers didn't suck enough gas - but it ran well enough.
The economics were that the kit cost me about £680, according to the guides, a V8 was about £1200 cheaper than the same model with 200tdi diesel - so payback was zero days !
The conversion took a while as I insisted on doing things in a way I'd be happy with, so cylinder went under the back and I made a smaller petrol tank - someone else did the seam welding on the stainless I'll hasten to add ! Pics are here. The mixers in the pics are a different set I tried, they weren't any better.
It originally had a single 50l tank under the back, but I latter added sill tanks to give a more useful range.

I think it was about 5 years ago that a friend bought a V8 Range Rover - and of course the first question to me was "what do I need to gas it ?" I looked around, and worked out that it wouldn't cost much extra to go and do a course over buying a kit - plus we'd get to use someone's workshop (better than outside on the drive !) and get to pick their brains. Three of use went and did the three day course at Autogas Worldwide, which none of us regret in the slightest.

While we were driving to the course, my mate casually asked how much I saved by running on gas. When he tells the story, he says that I went quiet for a couple of minutes (as I did the sums in my head) - then remarked "bl***y hell !" I'd never worked it out before, and was surprised to find that it was about £1500/year vs running on petrol :D

Next up, we did my mates Series III. Don't laugh, but this was a leaf sprung Land Rover, 2 1/4 petrol engine, and ... rally prepared :lol: We gassed that with a basic open loop setup for not a lot of money - it ran a lot better and was cheaper too. Mind you, we got some odd looks in the service areas with our red cylinders and a hand pump.

About 3 years ago, a friend in the trade asked me if I was interested in a 110 he'd just taken in as a part-ex - 110 Station Wagon (12 seat) with lovely V8 engine. I looked it over, looked at the copious list of faults on the MoT fail sheet, considered the price being asked - and nearly took his hand off. As it happened, I had some time off work and used this as a de-stressing project - it did need a fair bit of work.
Gas conversion is a 66l toroidal under the back where the petrol tank was, 36l cylinder under the drivers sill, and a relocated petrol tank in the rear wing. Up front, a Romano reducer and Leonardo controller.

Apart from these motors, we've also done a couple of conversions for friends - one in an old BMW 318, the other in another Range Rover. Kind of puts you off doing it for a living - the Range Rover owner got a payback in less than 6 months and was still whining about the cost when he sold it three years later :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 pm 
Intermediate Member

ttalps2000 wrote:
how much does the calor bottles work out to have re-filled? i take it you use the 47 kg jobbies?

Yes, 47kg bottles.

I've not idea what the current price is, I haven't had one for a while. When I first started out on gas, my local place was charging about 47p/l and bottles were saving me about 10p/l after paying the duty - so that gives an idea of the profit margin that was being made on gas.

A few years ago, Morrisons opened up in Barrow, and immediately got into a price war with a plant hire spot that did gas. For a while (longer than I expected even after the plant hire spot closed down) we were down to 16.9p/l :D I can't believe they were making a loss when they effectively had no competition, but the rest of the country was still charging 40+ or even 50+ p/l :roll: Anyway, it ceased to be cost effective to buy bottles rather than fill at the pump.

I've checked a couple of times, and gas in bottles has worked out more than from the pump - so I've not gone any further. My mate hasn't been rallying for a while (the Series III is sold and the Range Rover isn't finished yet) so we've not needed to buy any gas to take with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

ttalps2000 wrote:
Will see what the prices do over time i guess....but its always a good alternative!

Of course, for rallying it's a matter of practicality :roll: You can't just bugger off half way across the county to fill up. The other factor is - you looked at places in Wales that are open for gas on a Sunday ? End result is that we have to take our own supplies for the weekend - at least for the rally car, with luck I can fill the service barge on Friday and have enough to last till Monday when I can fill up on the way back.