LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: LPG OR NOT
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:24 am 

Hello people glad to be part of this forum. Well my questtion is that i am intending to put an LPG kit in my car which is a hyundai accent 5 door hatch with engine 1341 cc G4EAtype. so i would like to know which is the best type of kit i can install in my car.

My aim in installing this kit is

1. Reduce fuel costs in Mauritius RS43.25 Petrol and LPG 27.00
2. Be able to use Air Conditioner ( temp ~ 33 dg)
3. Run Green
4. NOT DAMAGE MY ENGINE( DOUBT ON THE INTEGRITY OF LPG )
5. Use it for the long run because i intent to keep the car for atleast 5years more
I really love my car and if there is any advice you people wanna give me ( Be it negative also ) please feel free to post maximum replies. i am a very open person so please help me out.

Here in mauritius there is an indian who installs kits in cars. he is the most welll known for his quality of installalions. He advised me to put the electronic kit. but am somewhat confused about it. i cant understant what type is the electronic one, sequential injection or fully sequential.

to be frank i cant understand the difference so if someone could clear my doubtd, i would be very grateful to you

Yours faithfully
nir

Post subject: Re: LPG OR NOT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
Intermediate Member

nir_rs wrote:
Hello people glad to be part of this forum. Well my questtion is that i am intending to put an LPG kit in my car which is a hyundai accent 5 door hatch with engine 1341 cc G4EAtype. so i would like to know which is the best type of kit i can install in my car.

My aim in installing this kit is

1. Reduce fuel costs in Mauritius RS43.25 Petrol and LPG 27.00

As a general rule of thumb, if it's set up properly you'll get about 10% higher fuel consumption on LPG than on petrol. Eg, if you got 30mpg before, you'd expect to get about 27mpg on LPG. On that basis, you should expect to see about a %30 reduction in fuel costs. But don't forget that you will have the conversion cost, and ongoing service costs for the LPG system.
Quote:
2. Be able to use Air Conditioner ( temp ~ 33 dg)

Should make no difference - if it worked with petrol, it should work with LPG.
Quote:
4. NOT DAMAGE MY ENGINE( DOUBT ON THE INTEGRITY OF LPG )

If done properly it won't damage the engine. I know nothing about your engine, but some do require a valve lubricant to avoid valve seat recession. I'm actually surprised about this, as I thought that problem had been learned about when we went unleaded and manufacturers had to switch to hardened valve seats if they weren't already using them.
Quote:
5. Use it for the long run because i intent to keep the car for atleast 5years more

Being in it for the long term is good - with a small car like yours, I suspect it may take some time to recoup the cost of conversion. I converted a friends Range Rover (with thirsty V8 doing lots of miles) and he complained about the cost even though he broke even in just 6 months !
Quote:
Here in mauritius there is an indian who installs kits in cars. he is the most welll known for his quality of installalions. He advised me to put the electronic kit. but am somewhat confused about it. i cant understant what type is the electronic one, sequential injection or fully sequential.

to be frank i cant understand the difference so if someone could clear my doubtd, i would be very grateful to you

There are several basic system types :
The oldest and simplest is what's known as an open loop mixer (or single-point) system. These put a mixer ring on the intake and mixture is set my physically twiddling with various screws like a petrol carb. Once set it tends to drift and needs periodic retuning. They are great for old cars with no electronics.

The next step is to add some electronics. By adding a Lambda probe (which detects oxygen in the exhaust - a proxy for whether the mixture is rich or lean), the electronics can automatically adjust a motor driven valve to control the gas mixture. Because the controller can adjust the mixture and measure the result, these are called closed-loop systems. Performance wise there is little (if any) difference from the open loop systems, but they are generally easier to set up and they automatically adjust themselves as you drive.

Next up, we come to the various varieties of injection. These use a computer to work out the timing etc for a second set of injectors connected to the gas supply. Some inject liquid, but these are uncommon due to various technical problems getting them to work reliably under all conditions. Most inject vapour, and almost all systems now take the timing information from the original petrol ECU which they fool into thinking is still driving the petrol injectors. Performance may be slightly better than a mixer system as you don't have the mixer restricting the intake.
These more sophisticated systems are essential for modern engines as the more basic ones will trigger the fault detection in the petrol ECU as the mixture isn't controlled accurately enough.

Hope that helps a bit.