LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: A tinge of sadness
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:02 pm 
A year ago I had to replace a dearly loved 95 Mondeo 2.0. I'd had it from new and at about 5 years old, 60K miles, I had it converted to gas. I then ran it up to 144K miles. Only gas problems in that time were a few backfires cured by plugs/leads.
I really wanted another gas car but owing to the cost of conversions, approx 1500 pound, and not being able to find a suitable one already done I ended up buying a Volvo S60 D5 diesel. That's not strictly true - I did find and test drive a bifuel S60 but found it quite sluggish. Only 136 BHP in an S60 isn't much. The Diesel is 164BHP and lots of torque.
Thoughts after one year and 13K miles. It’s still noisy at startup and I liked the moral high ground of gas and it's clean qualities. Over the last year I've kept a record of all fuel. It’s averaged 41.6mpg which isn't bad for a 2.4 5 cylinder that either runs in urban traffic or 80+ motorway driving. On a 70Litre tank it has a range of approx 600 miles so at least the trips for fill ups aren’t so often.
Financially not as good as gas. I don’t believe the bifuel model would have bettered low twenties so best guess would be it's cost me a couple of hundred more. It is nice though to be able to shop around for insurance easily as no modifications to declare and no extra servicing to be done.

I'm hoping to keep this for a good few years so who knows what my next choice will be. As car engines get more and more complicated, VVT etc, worries about valve recession and the fact that Volvo, Vauxhall and Ford all have given up on lpg I can't see me going back to gas. If the chancellor realises it's not all about CO2, maybe, but not with their current thinking. Anyway just my thoughts.