LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Keep trying with LPG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:57 pm 

Hi All.
Just thought I'd thank everyone for the stimulating comments and reassurance over the last few months since I've been lurking around here :)
I thought I'd tell some of my experiences with LPG running and suggest to any waiverers not to give up.
I opted to have my Scenic converted in 2002, nearly new at the time, mainly because I do a lot of miles and wanted to cut my longer term costs. Had a BRC multipoint fitted. I didn't have a clue what it was all about and took a blind leap of faith, which was tested :!:
People on here have said the BRC is a good system but I found that it sometimes shuddered badly on sharp acceleration and then the car started blowing coil packs on a fairly frequent basis. I had some rows after being lifted to the Renault dealer who blamed the LPG installation and the LPG installer blamed Renault. All very unproductive. If I had known then, what I now know, I would have changed the longlife plugs for ordinary ones and narrowed the gaps to place less strain on the coils. But I didn't and sold the car :( I was a bit fed up but was still curious about why some people think LPG is brilliant and others think it's pants. I came to the conclusion that it had a lot to do with the installer and knowing the best fit kit for a particular car. Some kits fit most and some seeem to fit less.
A couple of years went by and I hit hard times, but still needed to do a high mileage. So I took another punt into the LPG world and bought a 6 year old Toyota off ebay that was already converted. Lovely for a couple of months or so then the little green light started winking at me. :( I then found someone who ran his own garage, had a brain and used it. Excellent :D He sorted out the running, talked knowledgeably about what it was, explained things to me and I've since had cars serviced with him and another conversion on my latest car. Wonderful. I have no interest in his company other than being a very satisfied customer of his so I won't publicise unless asked. Incidentally, the system I have now and had before is a Landi sequential. I've found it to be most reliable and like the idea of the ecu controlling the gas rather than being fooled into believing it is. I think the present modern systems are best suited to modern cars.
Anyhow, I've gone on long enough. Hope to be able to contribute a litttle of what I've learned when I can.
Best wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:50 am 

Good to hear your story, I agree with you 100%. There are too many LPG installers out there, that haven't got the level of knowledge or experience to do the job properly. Most are just 'bolt on, bolt off' car mechanics that under estimate the complexity of a modern fuel system and so are unable to replicate it with an alternative system, i.e. LPG. That is unfortunate for the few installers out there that are good at their job, because they all tend to get tarred with the same brush.
This forum proves that some LPG installers are 'up to speed' as they continually help people with their problems, but it also proves that some LPG installers are not 'up to speed' because most problems are caused by bad installations in the first place.
I think the problem with the LPG industry is that it's not regulated. Any Tom, Dick or even Harry can buy an LPG kit and install it with no compulsary training. This allows cowboys to jump on the bandwagon and spoil it for the good guys.
It's no wonder that LPG isn't being used by comparitively many people. There are too many people with bad experiences putting other people off.
It's refreshing to hear you were not one of them, but used your head logically to achieve your goal.
I truely think, that if all LPG installers were properly trained and therefore were able to achieve good results on a regular basis, far more people would convert to LPG, BUT if they did, the government would probably raise the duty on it, so perhaps for some people (i.e. people with LPG cars that run properly) the existing 'status quo' is acceptable.

Anyway...Rant over, happy motoring....
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:59 pm 

Hi Ross,
I agree, I am an MOT tester, so I get to see some truely dreadful modded cars come through the door, I cringe when I see the boy racer brigade pull up. The difference is, that LPG is an 'option' which does not have to be adopted. So any negative feeling towards it, makes some people avoid it like the plague, but cars are not an option to many people, most people need them for day to day life.
People are always going to buy cars and most of them use them in standard form (boy racers aside). In order to persuade people to convert to LPG, it has to have a positive image.
I've found that when people discover that I drive an LPG car, the first thing they bring up, is some horror story that has happened to a mate of theirs or something they overheard in a pub. Very few people say 'I wish I could afford a conversion'.
I'm hooked on LPG, I can't see me driving anything else for the forseeable future, but that's because I've managed to get my car running ok on LPG (thanks to your good self among others on this forum), if people that have doubts about LPG drove my car for a while and see how relatively cheap it is to run, I'm sure thay would convert too.
As I mentioned earlier, it's a few cowboys that spoil it for everyone.

Keep up the good work Ross

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 pm 

When I think back to my experiences with three different installers they were all different. I suppose this reflects real life such as the cowboy who originally plumbed my house and the one who I've employed recently to put it right.

When looking for a tradesman I tend to ask around, friends, neighbours, anyone locally who might have had something done by someone and can recommend them. LPG fitting is a different trade. Firstly it's not that common and the chances are that you won't know someone who could recommend a fitter. Therefore you rely on the press or the LPGA, or both. My first attempt with LPG was just like this and I got burned. (There's a whole argument in there about the LPGA and I do think they should be more interested in making things better consistently.)

For my second attempt I happened to be working with someone who ran an LPG car and when I had the problem I asked about where he had his fixed. On taking mine to him, he looked, said he didn't know what was wrong but gave me an address where I could go to have it sorted. Having got to the third place I haven't looked back since and have complete faith in what I am being told. There is no sense that this is some scam and I'm being milked in any way, unlike my first experience.

In a way, because LPG is relatively rare, this sort of thing happens almost by default. I had thought that when Ford, Volvo, Vauxhall started making cars with LPG that it would become more mainstream. This hasn't happened, so we are where we are with a very lightly regulated industry. The other side of this is that it is also lightly taxed. Too mainstream and that would change as the govt. saw it's tax take dropping from petrol/derv.

LPG has huge potential and like Johnboy I can't see myself using anything else in the forseeable future having overcome the initial hurdle.

Best wishes all.