LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2004 Frontera 3.2 V6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09 pm 
I am the happy owner of a 2004 Vauxhall Frontera 3.2 litre V6 which is fitted with an OMVL Dream XXIN SGI kit as part of the gas conversion.

I bought the car in 2005 and immediately fitted the gas conversion. It's a DIY job which took me six days spread over two weeks. I have the tank slung under the back end on an angle iron cradle suspended from the chassis so it keeps the boot clear.

I went to a lot of trouble to do the electrical part of the process properly with soldered joints and proper sleeving, well made eath points and careful routing of cables and heat shielding for the ECU box where it lives under the bonnet.

I've done 42,000 almost trouble free miles on gas, the only problem being injector failure at 11,000 miles but they were replaced by OMVL under warranty and since then it's been fine. I've towed a caravan to Germany and the south of France with it so you could say I've had my money's worth out of the conversion.

The only thing I will say is doing a DIY gas conversion on this car with this kit is not a job to be undertaken lightly, and it will take you a while to properly understand the OMVL setup software to truly get the best out of the kit but it is worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:25 pm 
Intermediate Member

do you have incredibly noisy injectors

the colder it is the noisier mine are ..
when its warmed up they are quiet .

other than the 27 percent loss in long run fuel economy its OK ..

not had time to retune yet ...

and don't know if will make any difference ..

whats your percentage difference on the long run ..

state you percentage .only if you immediately turn to gas when you start up ........as petrol can alter the figures.

all the best.markj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:09 am 
Hi,

The injectors are not incredibly noisy but you can tell when they're running! They were noisier just before they failed at 11K miles.

Fuel difference is 24% but I have it set to switch over at 40 degrees which means I run on unleaded for a while longer after a cold start.

Tunings a must. When I first ran it after an autocalibration it soon started showing odd symptoms like a hole in the power curve when cold starting on petrol. That one took me ages to solve! It wasn't a major problem, just a minor annoyance and injector failure aside, the only one I've had.... until now but that's for another post.

RR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:47 pm 
I have a Zavoli system on a 2001 3.2 V6 Frontera - it too exhibits the hole in the powercurve on petrol on cold starts - can you point me in the right direction on this one as I have been tweaking the tuning for a while but still haven't got to the bottom of it.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 pm 
Andy,

I did two things to get the car right on cold starts.

1. Buy the engineers dongle to get access to the full map. This is an absolute must if you are to get it right. Then I spent some considerable time tweaking the idle and slow running settings. I hacked while a friend drove the car.

2. Set the petrol/gas changeover to 40C from 30C. Sure it costs more in petrol - but it's worth it not to get caught out with bugger all power coming out of a junction on a cold engine.

Before doing any of that - drive the car on petrol for a week to get the ECU to relearn the best petrol settings. If you attempt to do it as it is now IT WILL NOT WORK!

The two steps cured my problem but I'm on an OMVL dream system which is AEB based. Can't speak for the Zavoli as I'm only familiar with the system on my car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:17 am 
Intermediate Member

I had that hole when i first tuned it

I changed the spark plugs for another make ...hole gone .

And to me, one of the most important things with LPG ....is less wear on the engine ...
What you are doing by running on petrol on cold starts is undoing all the benefits of LPG .......dirtying your oil ...and putting harmful bore wash down the cylinders and carbon deposits into the oil.

if you are not going to keep the car till it dies of old age .........go ahead though .

i make lots of short trips less than 3 miles .........on petrol the engine would be very short lived .

all the best.mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:54 am 
Thanks - the Zavoli system is AEB based as well. I will see if I can get hold of the dongle for the software - how much did you pay for yours?

Thanks
Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:20 pm 
I use a motorcycle mostly so the majority of my journeys tend to be longer ones. Well looked after petrol engines of this size should be good for 200,000 miles so I'm not overly worried about warming it up a bit more before changeover.

The dongle cost £90. Well worth it to get the tuning right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:06 pm 
Intermediate Member

can anyone post some screen captures of the software in use with dongle so i can see the differences

all the best...markj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:26 pm 
You get an extra page with the map settings on it