:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now theres a thought................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:02 pm 
Intermediate Member

CougarV6 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now theres a thought................

As it happens, there are light aircraft running on LPG I believe - I've been told that it's not sooo uncommon in France. In the UK, I'm sure our CAA can price the regulation of any modification out of the question :cry: I've seen a sheet with the requirements, and it's not that onerous - but I don't think many of our multivalves would pass the "runs without electricity" requirement.
But the weight of steel tanks would be a serious penalty in most light aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 pm 

Had my cat plugged into a mates diagnostic laptop the other day, and was getting a 'Rear bank running lean' warning on the laptop, although it wasnt bad enough to issue a fault code on the dash menu. It gave the reason as being the secondary throttle not closed properly. My friend and I came to the conclusion it may be a small inlet gasket leak, caused by the backfires. :?
Any thoughts????
I may just replace the gaskets anyway, but its about £50 of gaskets!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:01 pm 

CougarV6 wrote:
Had my cat plugged into a mates diagnostic laptop the other day, and was getting a 'Rear bank running lean' warning on the laptop, although it wasnt bad enough to issue a fault code on the dash menu. It gave the reason as being the secondary throttle not closed properly. My friend and I came to the conclusion it may be a small inlet gasket leak, caused by the backfires. :?
Any thoughts????
I may just replace the gaskets anyway, but its about £50 of gaskets!!!!

True but with the dodgy gaskets (if it is that), it will cause your mixtures to be leaner anyway which is not always great news.

Still, looks relatively tidy, but I echo the comments of Rossko considering that I owned an XJ40 XJR with a Voltran Single Point system. But at the end of the LPG like other car related things is a game of compromises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:09 pm 

Cheers for that Ross, will have a look once i sourced the gaskets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:49 pm 

Well still havent had a look at the 2ndaries (finding time!) but have fitted a 57i induction kit, yes i was told i might have issues with it, but hey, i have issues anyway, so what did i have to lose! As it turns out, it was a darn sight easier to set up than with the airbox, yes i am having to run a tad richer, but then again, it does suck in a helluva lot more air!!! Also when it does backfire (less frequently now) it dont blow the airbox apart!
The other issue i have is that the level sensor is giving me vague readings, sometimes its ok, but others, it just tells me i got a full tank when i know i havent!!! (see pics above for which type)
Anyone had this before, if not, then i got to do a tank dump!! which i'd rather not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:52 pm 
Intermediate Member

Shouldn't back-fire with a sequential system .........you got ignition problems that need to be sorted ..

The electric level sensors never work right ..

When I fitted my system ..I had read so much bad @!## about them ..that I never bothered to buy one ....waste of money ..
I set the speedo trip meter to zero and fill up every 250 miles
My 80 litre (59 litre). tank has range of 270 miles to 400 miles ...depending on short trips or long trips............I've only ever run out once on this car in 12,000 miles on lpg...that was when Morrison's pump was broken down the other week ...

all the best.mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:43 pm 

Cheers mark, but its a single point, with quite a few limitations on the install, due to lack of space etc in the engine bay, so an optimum fit wasnt possible, hence the backfires. The level guage has been good enough up to now, so something has gone awry somewhere, will have to do a diagnostic on the electrical side before i remove the valve thats all, was just wondering if anyone else had had similar issues.
Also i get up to 55l in my 66l tank, so it cant be that bad, but i use the trip also, and get 190 to 250 on a tank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:02 pm 

Cheers Ross, but my earth goes all the way forward and links up with the rest of the loom and is earthed under the bonnet on the bulkhead, so if one goes surely the whole lot will. Will chase some wires over xmas, but am still thinking its to do with the mechanical side of things (ie magnet or level arm, or maybe just come away from the housing a tad enough to lose the magnetism)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 am 

Turned out it was just sticky, works fine now lol go figure!
Latest part of the project is to fit an ST200 Inlet Manifold and throttle body, may have to get a new mixer to fit the larger TB but will update onse i done it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:28 am 

Have had some issues with the cat re clutch and gearchange, so while its in bits have been fitting the ST200 additions, just need a larger mixer to suit the throttle body.
Just a note to say that i have had less issues with backfiring since i fitted the 57i than with the standard airbox, will post some pics once its all finished

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

are u fitting both the UIM & LIM?

also do u have any pics of ur install, especially where u have mounted the spuds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:36 am 
Intermediate Member

There were photos on here a while back showing the spud placings on these engines.

Post subject: Re: Ford V6 conversion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 am 

No spuds on mine, its single point, but there is pics of someone elses earlier in the thread.

Have bought a mixer to go on my ST200 throttle body (Upper and lower ST200 manifolds already fitted) but need to measure up when i swap cos it looks like same size mixer insert!!! :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 pm 

Well i was almost right lol larger mixer is almost same size bore as original, less than 2mm difference, but i fitted it anyway cos it looks shiny lol :lol:
Couple of pics, no air filter at the mo cos i had to repair the mount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Admin

doesn't that circilar thing restrict the air going into the TB? it looks a lot smaller than mine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 am 
Advanced Member

It's meant to, it's the mixer and it works by acting as a venturi to speed up airflow through it to draw the gas in.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:02 am 

Well it turns out the ST220 TB doesnt like the setup on my car!!! Bloody typical :evil: even removed the mixer, swapped the TPS and the MAF, checked the Intake temp sensor too, but it just dont like it!!!! Gives me a massive flat spot in the mid range and top end on full throttle, theres been a few guys on UKC that have done this mod and have not reported any similar problems, hell i even swapped a duff O2 sensor on the rear bank!! (showed up on the laptop) did a diagnostic run using the laptop and the power just disappears @ 3k and 5k, so its either a remap or back to old faithfull lol bugger! :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:12 am 
Site Admin

CougarV6 wrote:
the power just disappears @ 3k and 5k

classic IMRC problem, sounds like their not openeing, did you remember to put the litttle spring clip back?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 am 

Deffo not IMRC John, have put the standard TB back on and its fine, go figure, the only thing i can think of is that the 57i thats fitted along with the larger TB is allowing too much air in, in other words without a full remap it aint happening, so its staying with the standard one for now, cos i cba to chase what dont need fixing lol :lol: :lol: :lol: