LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:52 am 

I'm new to the forum.

I have owned my car for 9 years, a Carbodies Fairway Driver Licensed London Taxi, with a Rover K series 1800 engine and a 14 year old Multi Seq Prins LPG ECU BRC reducer which still works as it should. It's probably clocked up around 175,000 miles on the same LPG system, engine and head gasket (no it's not Trigger's Broom). I do all my own maintenance etc except for the auto gearbox (that's just witchcraft).

Post subject: Re: New Member
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm 
Advanced Member

Not bad going. I thought all Carbodies used the Nissan diesel engine, pleased to hear there are the odd clean ones around. You've done more miles than me. I bought my Range Rover with LPG already fitted when it had 204,000 miles on the clock, it's now got 327,000......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:08 pm 

Gilbertd wrote:
Not bad going. I thought all Carbodies used the Nissan diesel engine, pleased to hear there are the odd clean ones around. You've done more miles than me. I bought my Range Rover with LPG already fitted when it had 204,000 miles on the clock, it's now got 327,000......

It had a 2.7 diesel in it originally, but was converted to gas by engine change in 2003.

The gas system works lovely again as of last tuesday, it was cutting out on lpg and not switching to petrol every couple of days for the last 6 months. Ran perfectly on petrol.

Checked everything, changed gas ecus injectors etc (I've got a full set of secondhand spares salvaged from the same vehicle and system type), I couldn't replicate the fault exactly to check where it emanated from and no wiring diagrams available. Eventually I gave in and started stripping back the loom, found the problem in 5 mins, a bad +ve 3 way connection hidden in the loom.

I'd love to get hold of some gas ecu diagnostic stuff, but it probably doesn't exist for my system now.

Have you had any problems with your system, you've done well to get that amount of miles out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:08 pm 
Advanced Member

I think my system was fitted around 2008 after the car had been pensioned off by Greater Manchester Police and is a single point with an AEB Leonardo controller and an OMVL R90E vaporiser. The vaporiser was showing signs of old age (going rich at idle) a couple of years ago and as they are so cheap, rather than rebuild it, I just fitted a new one. Other than that and the odd lambda sensor (it has a separate 0-1V Zirconia sensor purely for the LPG system as the Leo doesn't always play nicely with the 5-0V Titania sensors fitted to a GEMS P38), that's about it. When I first got it I replumbed the coolant hoses and tidied up the wiring and haven't had to touch it since. As well as it being my everyday car, I use it to tow a car transporter trailer to the south of France and back about 6 times a year so I need to know it's going to be reliable. In fact, last August/September we drove to visit my partners parents in Latvia, only 1520 miles each way, on less than £200 in fuel. I've considered changing the system to a multipoint but while the economy may be marginally better, I'd use more petrol (it starts on petrol but switches over to LPG immediately so I only need to bung £20 worth in a couple of times a year) and it would rely on the petrol system working properly. As a single point is a second, stand alone, fuel system, it doesn't matter if the petrol system works or not, it'll still run.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm 

Likewise for me, replaced a good few hoses about 9 years ago. Starts straight up on lpg unless the coolant's less than 25c and do about £20 of petrol per year. Wash out the the filters with celly thinners about every 6 months, and replace them about every 2 years lol. That lpg oil residue stinks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 pm 

Nice to hear a K series is going well on LPG everybody told me it was a bad idea but my freelander is still going strong and now living a new life out in Italy with 130,000 on the clock.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:45 am 

edge wrote:
Nice to hear a K series is going well on LPG everybody told me it was a bad idea but my freelander is still going strong and now living a new life out in Italy with 130,000 on the clock.

I think head gasket/engine longevity is all about keeping the temperature down, my system runs anywhere from 50c to 75c in normal driving summer or winter.

I try to regulate it to around 74c by 2 electric controlled fans which can run independantly from each other, with a 72c thermostat in the top hose, the normal thermostat has been removed but the housing left in situ.

In summer hot day traffic the temperature if I let it will go over 110c despite the fans on full blow... My machine has to be moving to keep the temperature steady as there's not enough airflow through the engine compartment for fan only cooling. So traffic in the summer = engine off.