LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alfa 166 2.0 Twinspark
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:23 pm 

As a few of you might know. I converted a Alfa 147 1.8 twinspark a while back.

Well the poor bugger never passed MOT due to rust. Which I always said as soon as the body starts to rust I'd strip it down and sell it for parts.

Well that day finally came. An as a replacement. The Alfa 166 Twinspark (Facelift version)

I've used the exact same kit as on the 147 to transfer to the 166 (See topic)
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13534

But given its my second install I made it a bit neater.
Cleaned up some of the wires (Naturally the cable runs on the 166 are longer so I've had less wires to tidy) And I've Also shortened all the hose lengths.

I've also made it so this one is completely reversible.
Ii've ensured I can cover the manifold with plastic caps that screw in.
I've kept the body work all the same for the filler point (Kept with the M10 thread buy the actual petrol filler)

The tank fits better in the 166 as its a bigger boot etc. Completely flush etc.

Run's again very well on LPG.
Glad I can use the kit once again and have 68mpg Petrol costs on a big barge

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:11 am 

I've got a couple of "big barges" i'm converting and even though my mileage is probably less than yours, 47p/L makes more sense to me than 118p/L for super unleaded!

Shame your 147 died from terminal tinworm but at least you have a good replacement! :wink: :D

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:20 pm 
Installer

Well done Scotty, don't get too carried away driving the 166 spiritedly, you might end up getting beamed up :lol:

How are my jokes today? :roll:

As teenagers my mates brother always had Alfas, after crashing in the wet his usual excuse was 'it aquaplaned'.. Yeah course it did, mate... Is that like failing to anticipate the tyres wouldn't grip on that bend given the conditions / running out of talent :lol:

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:30 pm 

Oh the cheek. Sorry I took so long to reply. The 166 is gonig through the usual Alfa Spat of issues so far. Mostly being the exhaust. But saying that its a lot harder to find the parts....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 pm 

2000 miles under its belt from my used system. No issues.

However the alfa needed a new clutch. Dmf. Some new exhaust parts. Cambelts and water pump. A radiator and a wheel bearing.
So after doing all that im glad its on lpg and I might save the rest of the oitlay on the car. Ha.
Everything is going wrong var the lpg system. Ha.

Still love it though. Great motorway munch.
Headed to bristol and back on one take. 5 prople. Luggage. 25mpg on lpg for the cost of 14 british pounds.
Can't mian at that.

Bit gutless with that many people in the car. But hey. Saving 1200 a year in fuel and that nice little twin spark ratlle through a raggazon exhaust let me fly down in style and comfort. Even the bunch of twenty yrar old mates loved it.

Which is good because I thought I lost a bit of street cred driving an old mans car. The 166.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:00 am 

7000 miles in. A service for both car and lpg system and all is well.

Did a recent long journey to bude and back. 534 mile total at above motorway speeds. Grand total of £41. Thats paying at the expensive down soughsouth pumps of cornwall.how you lot can pay near 50p a litre I don't know. Nit like good old brum of 37p. Still greatly appreciated having lpg even if I had to stop to use an lpg map to find a decent garage. Just took a little more planning.

Hope all is well though for everyone that uses this forum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:17 am 

Even at 50p a litre it's still way more preferable than paying petrol or diesel prices! Although my local ASDA's got not LPG at the moment so I'm running on nasty oily petrol until I can make a detour to get some LPG from somewhere else.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:27 pm 
Installer

:shock: Agreed Rich! Seems Scotty would rather pay 50ppl for LPG in Cornwall than pay petrol prices in Cornwall :wink:

All dig into Scotty, unless he says comment was a jibe at the unconverted :lol:

Recently I dropped family off / collected them from Birmingham airport but alas I filled up in Yorkshire at 43ppl... 200 mile round trip at about 20mpg, 10 gallons, 45 litres. Would have cost about £50 on petrol, cost £low20s on LPG, saved over £25 by running on LPG, but could have saved 6ppl over 100 miles of return trip by filling at 37ppl in Birmingham so could have saved another £1.35.. Bah! Kick myself now Scotty? :lol:

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon