LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm 

Hello all, as my nickname suggests i own a 4.6 rover V8 in a land rover 101 ambulance body. There is a lpg system fitted but the vehicle stood for zeven years.
There is no certificate for it and i am afraid things are sticking or malfunctioning when i revive it.
The wife has the same vehicle with a 3.5 rover V8.
For my 1975 88" series 3 i want a system that fits under the body, near the rear axle.
Cheers, Arjan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:24 am 
Advanced Member

No certificate on an older install is common, of the 4 LPG converted vehicles I've owned, only one of them came with a certificate. If you haven't got the latest one running yet, then it may not work but probably won't need much work to get it going.

Welcome to the forum, you are not alone with a Landy here......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:56 am 

I can give it a go with the 4.6 system as it sits, would insurance companies give hassle that i do not have the certivicate? The 101fc that my wife has, we dropped the battery box, we plan to have the tank there. We plan to fit our own, either new or a young set will suit. I think the mixing rings from SU carbs will fit the strombergs CD175's she got. My 4.6 will get a two barrel holley carb on it. The swb will get a wooden floor as the tub is holy. I have a place for a big tank on one of the wheel arches and have a roll cage to protect it. Are vehicles allowed to have more then one tank? Or would a big vertical mounted wheel shape do me best?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:26 am 
Advanced Member

You can fit multi tanks, they just have to have one way valves so they don't cross fill each other but empty at a steady rate which in theory would be a little from each tank but in practice you usually find one empties faster than the other(s). Vertical toroidal tanks are another option but they are expensive, my Classic LSE had one in the back opposite where the spare wheel sat. Some insurers want to see a certificate, others are quite happy without and some want to see an MoT certificate issued after the car was converted.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:47 pm 

If i can get multiple tanks in a system then it opens a twin tank option and either stacked or left and right in the load bed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:44 pm 
Installer

Like a forward control field ambulance ?
That's a 101 isn't it ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:31 pm 
Installer

Off subject but funny...

Dad was a bit of a Landrover fanatic at one time, I got used to him going on about all the unusual Landrover models and he owned quite a few different models over the space of a few years, the longest serving was a Safari model, i.e. a double skinned roof to, err, keep the interior cool if you should venture as far as the African plains... (no aircon and the 2.25 / 2.5 engine gutless yet using as much fuel as the V8s).

We went to a few 4x4 rallies but I have to laugh when I think back to one of them. This rally had a bit of a muddy circuit for owners and demonstrators to attempt, the highlight being a small but muddy and steep banked river crossing. Land/Rangerovers sometimes struggled to get up the bank from the stream but always made it. G wagons with diff lock faired maybe a bit better, no problem for Unimog type stuff, or Russian troop carriers, or tanks... Anyway, the funny bit came when the latest model Subaru car, a brand new demonstrator, attempted the river crossing.. After much struggling to get up the bank (never looking like there was any chance) it ended up with interior and best part of the engine under about a foot of water! The driver then asked for a pull out from a Landrover but attached the tow rope to the car's optional bull-bars (unknown to the obviously experience Landrover driver), which promptly got pulled off! Dunno if it generated any sales for the car brand, it did fair well until the over ambitious river crossing, but can't have been worth if for the demonstrator garage! Dad bought a Subaru but was going to do so anyway, it went on a few beaches but would never have attempted that river crossing!

Saw a Unimog on road around here a few weeks ago, could make a proper go anywhere camper out of one of those!

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon