LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:54 pm 

Hi folks, I'm Gordon, I finally managed to register with the forum, and here I am. I've got a 1998 Range Rover P38 with a 4.0 GEMS engine fitted with an R90E vapouriser and OMVL Millenium controller.

When I bought the old tank the engine was rattling so I swapped in a lower mileage one with fewer deathly noises and less exhaust gas bubbling out of the header tank - I suspect it had been run low on coolant because the usual heater O-rings were crumbly. They're not as horrible a job to do as people make them out to be. Although it ran on gas when I got it, it wasn't very good. It cut out at junctions all the time and ran like a bucket when it was cold. That said, it ran like a bucket when it was warm too, and wasn't much better on petrol. New lambda sensors improved matters, as did getting hold of a Millenium programming cable and setting the ECU up properly - or, at least as well as I could.

I cleaned out the bowl in the front end shutoff valve. There's a stainless steel screen in there, but no cartridge filter - I'm not sure if this is correct? I also rebuilt the vapouriser with new rubber bits, which made a drastic improvement overall. At some point in its history the cats have been removed, but it still passed an MOT with an understanding inspector and careful fettling with the gas tester on.

It's fitted with two tanks - a massive 95l tank slung across the boot taking up loads of space, and one that I can't see a capacity marked on in the spare wheel well but I reckon it's about 85l given the size. The spare wheel well one has its solenoid disconnected. I haven't tried connecting it to see what'll happen. There's a rather grotty T-piece under the boot floor where the two pipes join, but I'm not sure what happens with the filler. They're both single-hole tanks. The 95l one seems to go from empty to full with only about 45l of gas! That's filling from <cough splutter switch to petrol> to the filler bumping, surely not quite right?

I'd quite like to find a reputable LPG fitter in or around Glasgow that I can get some advice on what to do with these tanks - I want to remove the 95l altogether and if I can get 60-odd litres into the 80l tank I'll be happy enough with that. Oh, and it's got an old-style screw-in filler with an adaptor, which I'd like to change for a proper bayonet one.

So, if you see R454EWW rumbling about, give me a wave :-)

I have read the whole Toolless thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 pm 
Installer

Some older filters consist of a felt disc under a metal screen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:45 am 

There wasn't a felt disc, just the metal screen. It did have about quarter of an inch of very fine little rusty flakes in the bowl though, so it must have been doing its job! I cleaned all that crud out and stuck it back together, not that it made much difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 am 
Advanced Member

I nearly gave you a wave yesterday until I realised it wasn't you. Filling up at ASDA in Govan around 4pm yesterday afternoon as I was setting off for my 324 mile run home and a blue P38 pulled in to the pump next to me. Looked at the plate and saw it was an X reg so knew it wasn't you but it had a really nice V8 rumble to it. Asked the guy what exhaust he had on it and he told me he'd recently replaced the middle and back boxes with standard (and they looked standard too). So I suspect his cats have been gutted. Looked very tidy, same colour as yours, Vogue badge on the back but on 16" wheels.

3 days at home then back up on Friday.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 am 

I've seen a couple about the same colour as mine - and I did see an X-reg around town yesterday. Mine seems to have developed a slight blow where the Y-pipe and middle silencer meet. The Y-pipe had been butchered a bit but I got it welded up so it'll do for now. It's quiet enough at gentle throttle settings. There's a worryingly manifold-gasketty noise coming from the driver's side, but it's had that since I swapped the engine and hasn't got any worse. They look like a pig to get at with the engine in...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:21 am 
Advanced Member

All bar one. It's reasonably easy to take the bolts out, slide the gaskets out, smear them with a bit of exhaust assembly paste and slide them back in as long as you don't have the heatshields on. The one that makes a simple job into an absolute b@stard is the one right at the back tucked away under the manifold and not get at able because of the steering column rubber flexi joint. Passenger side is a piece of p*ss but that's the side that never needs to come off.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.