LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:46 pm 

Right I have been going through all the bits in the box that I have here to eventually fit onto the Jeep (I just know im gonna cock it up :roll: ) well maybe :lol: the fact that its come off the equivalent vehicle should make it easier in some ways, Im not planning on starting the install yet but am going through everything to get it right in my head for when I do, if I do :wink: so rather than start a problem thread I thougth I would do a diary install thread and hopefully if I do have problems such as the injector cut wiring I can get the answers from here and, I can post some pics up along the way. So first problem is I have been going through the install manual and studying the wiring diagrams and can see what colour wires the permanent supply are but it doesnt show the ignition positive, would this be part of the injector wiring ??

edit ... :roll: :roll: just found it :lol: ok ok I am old I know but will the white/red simply clag onto the injector common postive ??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm 
Advanced Member

demonicwillow wrote:
ok ok I am old I know but will the white/red simply clag onto the injector common postive ??
Yup. If you think about it, the ignition switched supply to the petrol injectors is a pretty reasonable place to pick up an ignition switched supply......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:41 pm 

Ooookay so the parcel with the nozzles and paperwork and some other bits have turned up today, one of the nozzles sheared off when it was removed from sellers manifold, so I need to replace that, cant see any id on the wee lil brass thing so how do I know what to buy ?? are they all pretty much the same size or are they specific to a given application ?? I can post a pic of them if that would be usefull.

Also, im thinking it would be probably beneficial to service the injectors, I havent really looked at them in detail but are they relatively straight forward to pull apart ??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm 
Advanced Member

Have a look here http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/Bi ... nents.html , they are all pretty much the same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
Installer

It depends on the age of teh system. The metal body OMVL injectors started with 4mm nozzles then changed to 5MM. The Matrix and plastic OMVL injectors use the more common 6mm pipe

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 pm 
Advanced Member

I think he's talking about the manifold nozzles not the ones on the injectors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm 

thx for that link Gilbert :P think its just a case of measuring what i have and ordering, straight forward enough, just need to work out where to put the nozzles now, trying to get some pictures from my m8t as I cant recall which shoulder of each inlet tract he said they were in, originally he fitted them behind the petrol injectors but it didnt run too well as they were too far away from the inlets, I did notice on the same site furthur down the page that they were selling a loom to fit to the injectors (aeb based) to save cutting the injector wires, would anyone know if this would be compatible with the dream xxi-n or is it just as well to cut n splice the wires.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:26 am 
Intermediate Member

Yes, that loom will work with your system. It's down to personal preference really - cut and splice will look neater and (so long as you identify the wires correctly!) you are guaranteed to connect up the gas ECU to the petrol injector signal wire. Plug in looms are quicker and easier (and more reversible) but if the vehicle manufacturer chose to put the injector signal in the opposite wire to the one the gas loom intercepts, you'll be scratching your head for a while until you swap the wires!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 am 

Tinley tech have the inverted plugin looms that will fit your engine and LPG kit, I have got them from them before to use on bannan range rover engines. They may only have 4cyl, but you can just cut off the one you dont need. Make sure you dont cut the wrong one off. The longest wire from the plug pairs with gas injector A (or E depending which bank your on :) )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm 
Installer

Gilbertd wrote:
I think he's talking about the manifold nozzles not the ones on the injectors.

They need to be matched as the you cant get pipe that is 4mm one end and 6mm the other!

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm 
Installer

Depending as to what age Jeep as to what plugs are used. The older ones are Bosch and then they changed the plug so you have to solder in.

You sould already have a emultor wired in so all the need to is wire upto that.

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 pm 

Bosch plugs on mine they are :) using my emulator thats already on the jeep sounds a tad complicated, have to think about that for a moment to get me head around it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 pm 
Installer

In that case you need 2x 3 cyl bosch standard looms. I should have some of those in stock

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:16 pm 

8) 8) will be looking at sorting them out soon, took some pics of some of the dream lpg bits, as you can see one of the nozzles or spuds or whatever you call them sheared off its threads when being removed from the manifold, presuming the link that was posted earlier on in the thread is the place to get another one or 6 new ones, but not sure what size it is, I think its a 4mm but a 4mm drill is very tight in the hole so havent pushed it through, im trying to get some pics of the manifold that they came out of so I know where to drill the holes but this may not be possible so will take a pic of mine and any advice would be gratefull :P

A pic of one of the injector rails too, dunno if its relevant :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 pm 
Installer

Those injectors are the older 4mm hose ones. The manifold nozzles are actual vacuum nipples that have been used. The barb for injector nozzles are sharper for better grip. The hole is just under 4mm, as per almost all other manifold nozzles, the metering is done at the injectors.

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 am 

Ah right ok so basically I need 6 of the correct manifold nozzles then, and a t piece for a manifold vac take off, that could be why the previous owner wasnt getting very good economy from this system, I presume the nozzle goes right through the manifold casting to introduce and mix the gas into the drawn air but not to obstruct the petrol injector spray pattern.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:42 pm 
Installer

Unless the hoses were leaking the type of nozzles will not have effected the consumption.

A full set of nozzles is on the cards (DN4 type)

yes drill through the manifold right by the flange to head.

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 am 

Ok so had yet another catastrophic failure on my ole Jheep but its a fairly common one but, it may have been helped along by myself as when I tightened the top transmission cooler connection I think the pipe inside the rad twisted a bit, I had the entire front end off again to swap out my failed steering box for a ZJ one which also has a longer pitman arm, the box is actually a proportional power steering box and is very very light as in my 3 year old grand daughter could turn the wheel with a little finger :D but thas by the by anyway after putting it back together took it for a test drive around the block errrrm it is indeed extremely light on the steering now but thas ok ill get used to it but I did notice that the transmission fluid has blended nicely with the coolant and vice versa :evil: so while its all off again im going to remove the manifolds, swap out the yet again cracked exhaust one for a modified stainless one that wont crack and also drill the inlet manifold for the multipoint, I have to purchase the spud things yet but what I want to know is when they are screwed in place do they protrude right into the manifold or will the end be fairly flush with the inside of the manifold flange casting ??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm 
Installer

I depends how thick the casting is. But generally they stick out about 3 ish mm on the inside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 pm 

Ah ok, thanx for that, I have a similar manifold lying about off a zj, they are slightly different to the pre facelift xj manifold but the casting where it bolts to the head is the same, bucket loads of room to get them in so ill order some, pop em in and cap them off till im ready to make a proper start, dunno whether to purchase the adaptor looms or just do the injector cut wiring yet, I know im gonna struggle with the setup side but its defo a challenge and I need to get the ccv system reinstated properly cos im getting alot of moisture build up internally, unless its a weepy h/g :D