LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 pm 

It's between cambourne and Penzance . So not quite that rarely down .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 pm 

Ok so I hooked up the car to the laptop at lunch time just to see if I could get a connection but all it did was say connecting to unit and that was it . I used a really really old lap top running xp because my lap top is running 7 so has no dos mode thing . Could this problem just be because it a old laptop ????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 pm 
Advanced Member

XP old? Win 95 is old, XP is current if you don't want to give Microsoft hundreds of pounds......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:02 pm 
Installer

~~ this ain't no technological breakdown ~~
~~ this is the road .. to Hayle ~~

Basics: any lights on switch? No lights, no laptop go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 pm 

I put the fuses in and the lights on the switch are on petrol works switch to gas and all the lights come on although the tank is empty.... just got off the phone with my mate and he has told me how the run the laptop in dos mode with some command prompts . So I will try it out tomorrow .... I hate computers should have got a lpg carb lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 am 
Installer

Are you trying to use a serial or usb lead ? Thats the first thing, i would doubt you will be able to interface an old dos program to a usb lead. They will be native serial. I will pm you by the way.
See what i can do, but it would be nice to know you can at least get a connection first ! Be a waste of everyones time if not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm 

Using a serial plug not usb. Still having problem connecting but am making progress gonads try my lap top tomorrow wit some dos emulator programs see if I can trick the thing in to working . I hate computers . Any hints ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 pm 

retrosii wrote:
Using a serial plug not usb. Still having problem connecting but am making progress gonads try my lap top tomorrow wit some dos emulator programs see if I can trick the thing in to working . I hate computers . Any hints ?

If your running xp, there is no dos, dos was phased out I believe after win me, I run my tec 97 software (dos based) on my Vista laptop with no problems at all, the lead is a serial interface that slots into the side of the laptop, best thing you could do is If you have a copy or can download a copy of win95, win98 or win98se and get it onto a disc, download free "virtual pc" its brilliant, install virtual pc onto your vista or win7 computer this becomes as the name says a virtual computer within your existing computer, you can mount or install any operating system onto virtual pc, once installed you simply run the vpc program and then boot the chosen operating system within that, and you can instal as many different os systems within vpc as you want to, it runs side by side your computers os just as your internet browser does, you can then install your dos based software onto the os system in vpc and your problem is solved :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:09 am 

Ok so not a good weekend spent Sat at work doing a health and safety course lol. Today at a 3 yeR old's birthday . And still no joy with the laptop but I know that dosbox don't work and A very nice person put a load of malware in a download of win 98 lol. But I'm downloading some old systems as we speak and will install the on windows virtual pc . So fingers crossed no more virus downloads and it work . By the way I hate computers next time it will be a big block v8 with a propane carb , old school. Lol. I'm going as fast as I can tubbs I will let you know as so as I possibly can .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 am 
Installer

Ok mate. No bother, I'm leaving today. So give me a ring, and leave a message. This is Cornwall. Spasmodic mobile communications at best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 am 

They still have Carrier Pidgeon, morse code, teletype and Radio Luxembourg down there so all is not lost :lol: Love Cornwall almost know it well, used to live in the deepest depths of the sunny south hams in Devon and was always taking long weekends down by Hayle, still go now, cant beat it, good luck with virtual pc !! forgot to mention that if you make win 98se or whatever a disc image file (iso) you can load the file as if it were a disc, but without the disc :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 pm 

Well it's taken me a while but I have windows 98 running on my virtual pc . Thanks to every one who helped and Thaksin to winworld for a decent download. Tomorrow I will see if it works . Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 am 
Installer

What software and lead are you using, have you identified the exact ECU model?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 am 

Ok it's not going well at all it keeps saying impossible to connect . I got the lead and software from wtvuk.com. I'm trying to run the software labeled lcs2 as my unit is labeled lambda control system/2-VO5/2 ..... is the the correct software ? if not what is

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 am 

You will have to check the com ports in win98 as well as the host computer, cant recall what mine are set to, I dont have the tec97 anymore but maybe able to run the software with the serial card to check.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:04 am 

Any help would be great I have checked the serial port is set to com port 1 and I tried it in dos mode and now I'm a bit stuff . Does the cars ignition need to be on and if so does it need to bet switched to gas or petrol . ... now I remember why I hate computers so much lol. Cheers guys .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:26 pm 

My serial card is set to com2 on the laptop (host computer) silly question but have you installed your lpg software onto win98 within vpc ?? so with your card in check your os com port for it, now check win98 com ports in virtual pc, errr think think, on the win98 screen in vpc think its my computer, control panel, system, device manager go down to com ports hit the + and it should say com1 com2 and printer port. come out of that, as long as your host com port is 1 or 2 then win98 should access that, have you installed the driver/s for your serial card ?? they only need to be installed on your host computer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:20 pm 

Not using a serial card I'm using the 9Pin port on the back of the lap top . Just to make sure how do I install the software ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm 

retrosii wrote:
Not using a serial card I'm using the 9Pin port on the back of the lap top . Just to make sure how do I install the software ?

So you have an older laptop with a serial port, thats ok ... drag and drop is the simplest !! presuming you have the lpg program (the program that needs installing(.exe) ) somewhere on the laptop or on a disc ... I just drag and dropped the whole tec97 folder from the disc into win98 desktop in vpc from my vista laptop then installed the software as you would on the host computer. What lead do you have between the computer and the lpg ecu ?? dyu have the correct rs232 interface ?? also im not sure but you may have to have a "null modem" lead instead of a conventional serial lead to talk to the rs232 interface but if it is the correct cable for your lpg system then it should work fine. When the serial cable is plugged in with the interface the host computer should see it and assign a com port mine is on com 2, also the win98 virtual computer needs to see the serial lead too so check thas on com1/com2 the virtual pc should find it anyway, its been ages since I messed with it so remembering how its all setup is tricky :lol:

On the Virtual PC console (thats the initial window that opens when you click virtual pc) you should see a settings box on the right, click settings and another window opens, from here you can see how everything is assigned, mine says com1 in win98 is linked to com2 on the host, as long as these settings are the same then you should be ok.

Running an older laptop with a serial port it would be easier to just use the computer for win98, I have one but the ram packed up which is how I found virtual pc and used that, with my old toshiba tecra I had 2 hard drives, they swap over easily, one had win98se installed the other had xp home, I had to have win98 for the Volvo Penta diagnostic programs to plug into the older engines thrn swapped to xp when at home to use the internet etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:57 pm 

Wooooooooo hooooooooo it worked it was just the com port setting on the pc . Thank you I was really stumped . Ok and tip on the setting I know the tps and number of cylinder but as for coils and lambda I'm stuck . . I will take a screen shot tomorrow of the setting I've chosen but I'm sure you guys could do it with your eyes closed . And thanks again everyone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next