LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm 

hi to all...ive been working on my truck for over two years now and am bringing it out for the summer..

now its around 3.9ltr 1956 engine..nuffing flash..more like a tractor!. ive changed the gears out in the rear diff and also put a webber carb on to help it run better. ( it a little rich still) and im only doing around 14-15 mpg.

ive a speed of around 65mph..but you have to hold on tight..!!!

im looking for help to change over to lpg...im looking for someone around the cambridge area or anywhere really who knows how to make it run well, ive done a installation before on a air cooled vw...so just really need someone to help me work out what best to fit..,sell me the parts and then help final set up after i have installed it all.

any help or ideas welcome!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 pm 
Advanced Member

An engine of that era, particularly an American one, will have a cast iron cylinder head and may even be a sidevalve (I know a '56 Studebaker is). In which case the valve seats will be cut straight into the cast iron. VSR will be your biggest enemy.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:59 am 

Hi Gilbert thanks for the reply. the engine is over head valve and yes the cylinder head is cast..im yet to find out if. the engine has hardered valve seats..when i look on usa forums that talk of the chevy engine already having hard seat... i think not to be honest..

whats VSR stand for?

the engine is old and smelly already!!..i think if i can get it running on plg for the summer...come winter i will take the head off and get it ready for unleaded , lpg..im looking to keep the truck a long while and already have a few engines behined me.

is there any addertives / oilers i could add to help the head out?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:21 am 
Advanced Member

VSR, Valve Seat Recession, where the valve seats and valves weld themselves together. In the days when the engine was designed, petrol was leaded and the lead protected and lubricated the valves and seats. With the advent of unleaded, some engines couldn't run on it, or they did but the valves didn't last long, and various methods were used to prevent the problem. Unleaded petrol has additives that partially replace the lead but don't work anything like as well. LPG has no additives at all, so the valves and seats will wear at a frightening rate, see http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/VSR.html. There is a product called Flashlube which was developed to allow engines that had valve seats too soft for unleaded to be run on it and it is often used on LPG conversions when fitted to engines with soft valve seats.

I very much doubt your engine has valve seat inserts at all, I suspect the seats are simply cut into the cast iron head. Upgrading the head would involve machining the existing seats out and inserting a hardened steel valve seat. Not cheap but it's a service offered to allow owners of the older BL A and B series (Proper Mini and MGB, etc) to run on unleaded. I'm sure the same companies would be able to do yours if you ask them nicely (and wave a sufficient quantity of folding under their noses).

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:56 am 

thankyou very much for your time Gilbert. i will have a look to confirm whats going on inside the engine..and ask a few questions usa side. running at low MPG is killing my pocket and the truck last year we completed over 5000miles so it will in the end pay for its self..im in it for the long hall, with visiting germany,belguim,luxumbourg ect last year...with only my spanners as backup!...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:29 am 
Advanced Member

For an LPG system you're going to be looking at an open loop, single point mixer system, so nothing complicated (or expensive) You can buy mixers to suit different carbs so getting one to fit straight into the top of your Weber shouldn't be too much of a problem. You may find you can buy virtually a full kit secondhand for not much money as long as you know it's a worker and not something that someone else is getting rid of because it's had it. I'm not far away from you either, if you are into American iron you might be interested in some of the stuff I have here at times.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:58 pm 

Anyone used Tinley Tech..>?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 pm 
Advanced Member

Probably 90% of the people on here........

Even some of the Pros!