LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:13 pm 

We used to be on formula pricing which meant our buying price changed every month based on North Sea price of gas, $ to £ exchange rate and duty. The North Sea price normally goes up in winter and down in summer as over 90% of the LPG goes for heating. I guess the Natural Gas prices and extra demand on heating fuel because of the cold weather has driven the base price of LPG up.

We changed supplier recently and have been given a fixed price for 6 months so I haven't checked North Sea prices lately but our local Shell Stations, who used to have steady pricing, have gone from 65.4p/l to 72.9p/l this week.

Not half price any more but still over 50p cheaper than petrol.

CV4 9AP
024 7646 1199
www.lpg-cars.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:50 am 

It's not how much in pence that is important, but how much in percentage terms, for example if petrol went up to £4 and gas went up to £3 you would be saving a 100p , which seems a lot, but is is only 25% in percentage terms.
But maybe this is just a short term thing, when I got my car converted in Late December 2008 I got a really good deal as petrol prices had dropped to about 87-90p wheras gas was about 55-57p if my memory serves me correctly, but that soon changed and petrol was more than double gas prices.

Cheers

Graham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:43 pm 
Intermediate Member

LPG is a by product of crude oil, so if the prices of LPG are going up then the price of crude oil must be going up drastically. strange thing is it isn't going up drastically also petrol pricers are staying where they are so where is the logic in all of this.
Oil prices are not that much different to what they were last year or the year before that. If more oil is produced then more LPG is produced, and it gets stored ready for the winter rush.

This is purely a money making excercise under the pretence of rising costs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 am 
Installer

Related topics
http://www.oilprices.com/
pretty steady crude
http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php
skyrocketing domestic oil
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/de ... oil-prices
parliamentary hyperbole

Domestic bulk LPG 52.01p just now
http://www.extrafuel.co.uk
that is without roadfuel duty (15.9p/litre) and before VAT that we have to pay on Autogas.
52.01 bulk + 15.9 duty + 17.5% VAT = 79p
interesting! Autogas users seem to be getting a better deal than householders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:22 pm 

We have a dual fuel heating system with oil providing basic heating and LPG topping up when it is cold. The other day noticed the oil level was getting low and intending to be home over the holidays, thought it was time for a delivery. 73p/l for heating oil now. It was 42p/l in October when we had the last delivery. How do they justify that?
Wish I could just use LPG, that is "only" 45p/l now after the latest increase.

On the LPG autogas front, Flogas in Coventry have been out since last Saturday. Due to high demand from domestic customers, they say they don't know when they will be able to sell any.
As they were the cheapest in Coventry,they sold the most. Now they have stopped, everyone is going to Morrisons, they have daily deliveries from Calor but only have small tanks so keep running out.

I would like advise customers in the Coventry area that we have plenty of gas and with our fast dispenser, you don't need to waste your time driving around chasing your tail or queing up for ages.

Just come to LPG Cars, current price is 64.9p/l

CV4 9AP
024 7646 1199
www.lpg-cars.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:15 pm 
Intermediate Member

cheers rossko
the oil prices guide proves what I was saying, oil prices have been pretty stable for a few years but LPG has increased dramatically. money making excercise it is then!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:22 pm 
Intermediate Member

actually looking at the oil prices, there is not that much difference between now and 5 years ago, and if my memory serves me right, 5 years ago LPG was about 30p per litre.

there was then a huge increase in the cost of oil and everything went skywards, but why did it not come back down when oil prices tumbled, because we would still pay the increased price, and they then had a new datum point to start from and hence put prices up on a regular basis and still being able to blame oil price fluctuation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:08 pm 
Advanced Member

and it's interesting to note that the price of heating oil always seems to peak around December-January. Can't think why....

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:51 pm 

BP Toddington services now 79.9p/l!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:20 pm 
Intermediate Member

well 80 pence is 66 percent of £1.20 average petrol price

that means you are gaining 34 percent over petrol pricewise .

take away a max of 20 percent for the for the less efficiency of LPG ..and you are only gaining 14 percent...so in real terms LPG is now 14 percent below the price of petrol.

all the Best.markj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

MarkJones wrote:
you are only gaining 14 percent...so in real terms LPG is now 14 percent below the price of petrol.

then you have the travelling to and from the station.

filled up literally an hour ago, now up to 64.9p (petrol 120.9) about 3 weeks ago it was 57.9p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm 
Advanced Member

But only if you make a special journey. I can fill up at a couple of filling stations that I drive past regularly and pay filling station price. Or, I can make a special 8 mile round trip to fill up at Flogas and save considerably more than I use on the journey.

At the end of the day, unless gas gets to within 20p of petrol, you're still saving money by running on it. I can remember when petrol was under a quid a gallon and people grumbled when it went over that figure. I wouldn't mind betting that in real terms, wrt average earnings that petrol is cheaper than it's ever been and gas considerably more so.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:53 pm 
Advanced Member

Or to put it another way. I can travel around 220 miles on 66 litres of gas. The same distance would require around 58 litres of petrol. I filled the works van up with diesel tonight and noticed that petrol seems to be about £1.25 a litre at the moment, so that 220 miles would cost me £72.50 on petrol. On gas at 70p a litre it will cost me £46.20. OK, it was only costing me around £35 a tankful not that long ago but it's still a lot cheaper.

Petrol would need to stay the same price and gas would need to get up to £1.10 a litre before there would be no benefit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

we're all penny-pinchers :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 am 

Just got a letter from Calor saying that as of 1st January, the duty will increase to £0.1652 per litre plus VAT, which isn't really helpful as I don't know what the duty is now in order to see how much it's going up :x Will it go up at the pump by 1ppl? 5ppl? 10ppl?

And then, of course, we need to add on the VAT rise on 4th January - we're all doomed :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 pm 
Advanced Member

But duty and VAT will go up on petrol and diesel too, so the differential will actually move in our favour. An extra 2.5% VAT on LPG at 70 ish p a litre is less than an extra 2.5% VAT on petrol at over £1.20 a litre.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 am 

sorcerer wrote:
Just got a letter from Calor saying that as of 1st January, the duty will increase to £0.1652 per litre plus VAT, which isn't really helpful as I don't know what the duty is now in order to see how much it's going up :x Will it go up at the pump by 1ppl? 5ppl? 10ppl?

And then, of course, we need to add on the VAT rise on 4th January - we're all doomed :cry:

Increase in fuel duty of 0.6p and vat increase have added 2p/l taking our price to 66.9p/l against petrol at £1.27

CV4 9AP
024 7646 1199
www.lpg-cars.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:49 pm 

I live near Loughborough and the price difference within 13 miles is 18p a litre. Fortunately I've got a range of 375 miles on a 90ltr tank so I can avoid the Blatent Profiteers and just make sure I've got enough gas to reach Asda - and even their price has gone up 7p litre in the last 3 weeks.
Attachment:
LPG prices near Loughborough.jpg
LPG prices near Loughborough.jpg [ 27.9 KiB | Viewed 2076 times ]

It seems that the cheapest LPG is now half the price of the most expensive unleaded - which in this area is 134.9 - whereas the average unleaded price is 122.9.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:40 pm 

When I bought my LPG converted van four and a half years ago, gas was about one-third of the price of petrol. The Government had pledged to maintain the price differential, but now I've noticed that LPG costs just over half the petrol price - the gap is narrowing, at least in percentage terms. In October I was paying just 52p a litre, now it's 69.9p, a rise of almost 17p per litre, and I'm not impressed. Another thing - how can stations in the same chain, just a few miles apart, justfy charging different prices?
Kevin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:30 pm 
Advanced Member

Easy, market forces. They charge what they can get away with. If there is a supermarket filling station nearby that keeps it's prices low, they have to keep theirs down to maintain customers. If there isn't they charge what they can get away with. That's why fuel costs in places like Wales and Scotland are higher, less competition.