LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BP stopping Autogas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am 
Installer

Is the black stinky stuff in a Chrysler A604 by any chance? i have 3 broken A604s here right now! Just bought another car because I got fed up changing A604's.

Original auto box / hydraulic fluid was based on sperm whale oil... it's got a lot more complicated since then. You can buy supposed ATF 4+ compatible fluid at reasonable price but it isn't recommended by Chrysler or by owners for the A604, for that you really need the proper Mopar spec ATF 4+ and it is expensive.. but I intend on buying 15L.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 am 

Nope, a 42RE, which would be an A500. So even an oil/trans filter change comes to about £80! And of course, no gbox sump plug. So it's a "baby bath" drain job.
I'll try changing the oil first and see if that fixes the odd shifting, if not I have a spare which I know is in good nick!

It'd take me ages to produce 6 litres of sperm, anyway, and I think the neighbours would stare... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 am 
Intermediate Member

The former BP connect sites Membury services (eastbound m4) and Leicester Forest East (northbound m1) are both becoming Shell this week and Autogas will be available again
https://twitter.com/AutogasLPG/status/859345582216945664
https://twitter.com/AutogasLPG/status/859344454649556993

I pity the next person to work on your gearbox Camaro!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:53 pm 
Advanced Member

Good news that more stations are opening rather than being closed down. Maybe they have realised that with the imminent death of diesel they'll be more demand......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:01 am 
Installer

Not sure oil came from the whales bolx Camaro, don't ask me if you want help producing multigrade :lol:

I hope that's the case Gilbert.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:02 pm 
Advanced Member

I can't see it going any other way. I'm surprised that following the VW emissions scandal the Government didn't suddenly increase the road tax on all VAG vehicles with the fiddled engines. Think about it, it would be a win-win situation for them. They could increase the road tax so give themselves a nice little bonus and they could hold their hands up and say it isn't our fault, it's all due to VW. Then when the VW owners complain that they bought the cars because the road tax was only £40 a year and now it's gone up to £200, the blame could be laid at the feet of the manufacturer. That and an increase in tax on diesel fuel should see diesels very rapidly losing popularity.

Then there is also the restrictions being introduced in numerous different cities. Paris has banned all pre-2000 diesel cars and the French Government has introduced a vignette system for Paris, Lyon and Grenoble. The vignettes are colour coded so the class can easily be seen and have classes 0 to 5 going on the amount of pollution your car emits. 0 being electric zero emissions vehicles up to 5 being the worst polluting. Classes 4 and 5 are only issued to diesels and petrol engined cars are rated on their emissions figure. I got one for my V8 Range Rover and if it was running on petrol it would have been class 3 but because it is on LPG, it's class 1. Although they haven't said as much, I strongly suspect that sooner or later they will announce that at certain times only vehicles in class 0 to 3 will be allowed in the cities.

Anyone that is planning on driving into any of these French cities needs to get the vignette and stick it in their windscreen. It costs 4.80 Euros but if you are not displaying one it's a 135 Euro fine. See https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... ch-cities/

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 pm 
Installer

Agreed Gilbert, that's the way I see it going too, it makes sense... I just hope it happens!

I only refer to your first paragraph, didn't know the situation in France but that'll be useful info for some including some of my customers/potential customers, so indirectly benefits me too ;-)

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:57 pm 
Intermediate Member

LPGC wrote:
Agreed Gilbert, that's the way I see it going too, it makes sense... I just hope it happens!

I only refer to your first paragraph, didn't know the situation in France but that'll be useful info for some including some of my customers/potential customers, so indirectly benefits me too ;-)

Simon

If you look into the intended changes to the congestion charge and ULEZ that they want to extend to the north and south circular roads it will make driving an old oil burner into London expensive very soon - by the time the ULEZ comes in (2019 I think now) you will be charged more for any pre 2006 petrol vehicle, or 2016 Diesel.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 am 

Might knock up the price of gas, though, if there is a large increase in demand?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:53 pm 
Installer

Brian_H wrote:
LPGC wrote:

Simon

If you look into the intended changes to the congestion charge and ULEZ that they want to extend to the north and south circular roads it will make driving an old oil burner into London expensive very soon - by the time the ULEZ comes in (2019 I think now) you will be charged more for any pre 2006 petrol vehicle, or 2016 Diesel.

Interesting stuff Bri
camaro wrote:
Might knock up the price of gas, though, if there is a large increase in demand?

I think there is potential for that... But - it's been a concern for a lot of people who might have considered an LPG conversion except they thought price of it might go up if it got more popular, it did get more popular but price didn't go up / From the government angle it's all about emissions and LPG is the most environmentally friendly of all none electric fuels... It would be double standards if the difference in price between LPG and petrol or diesel wasn't maintained.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:05 pm 
Advanced Member

LPGC wrote:
From the government angle it's all about emissions and LPG is the most environmentally friendly of all none electric fuels... It would be double standards if the difference in price between LPG and petrol or diesel wasn't maintained.

and the extra income they would get from a 5p a litre rise on the price of a litre of LPG is nothing compared to what they'd get if they stuck another penny on the price of diesel.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:56 pm 
Intermediate Member

Gilbertd wrote:
LPGC wrote:
From the government angle it's all about emissions and LPG is the most environmentally friendly of all none electric fuels... It would be double standards if the difference in price between LPG and petrol or diesel wasn't maintained.

and the extra income they would get from a 5p a litre rise on the price of a litre of LPG is nothing compared to what they'd get if they stuck another penny on the price of diesel.

1p would be justified, if anything more could be deserved. Going back to the subject of gearboxes where is a good place to ask for some advice on the Auto box on a Disco II? I'm not sure if Disco questions are allowed on rangerovers.pub? And most of the other forums I either can't get registered on or have had a look at the posts there and decided to look elsewhere!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:29 pm 

What forums have you tried, and more importantly, what is the problem/question? Autoboxes are largely unchanged through the ages - it's the addition of electronic "gubbins" mainly that differentiates your box from a 30, 40 year old one!
Are you lacking in whale sperm? I've managed to build up quite a sizeable quantity now, through the "manual extraction" method... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm 
Intermediate Member

camaro wrote:
What forums have you tried, and more importantly, what is the problem/question? Autoboxes are largely unchanged through the ages - it's the addition of electronic "gubbins" mainly that differentiates your box from a 30, 40 year old one!
Are you lacking in whale sperm? I've managed to build up quite a sizeable quantity now, through the "manual extraction" method... :mrgreen:

4th (top) gear struggles to engage - is fine until it warms up, then acts like its struggling to stay engaged. It was fine until a trip around the m25 towards Romford - at the time i was running down the contents of the tank to make dropping the tank easier to weld up the rear chassis. Initally thought it was engine related, but dropping down to 3 stops symptoms immediately so suspect not now.

Its had the obvious first port of call (drain fluid and change along with the filter screen, sump gasket and both fill and drain plugs as someone had attacked them previously) but that seems to have made little to no difference. Been refilled with Dextron II (have since found out you'd normally use Dex III now but was using what was recommended on Euro car parts at the time and already had it so have used it.) The old fluid appeared to be ok - little darker than the new stuff, but its used so I'd expect that. Don't think Whale sperm is required, are you banned from Seaworld yet :roll: :twisted: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:34 am 
Advanced Member

Brian_H wrote:
I'm not sure if Disco questions are allowed on rangerovers.pub?
Disco 2 uses the same running gear as a P38 so a 4.0 litre would have a ZF4HP22 and a 4.6 would have the ZF4HP24 so you can ask away. In saying that, I'm not sure we even have any gearbox experts on there, they are a bit too much of a black art and magic. Your best bet would be to give Ashcrofts a bell and ask them, they are the experts when it comes to LR gearboxes. See http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk ... boxes.html

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 am 
Installer

Camaro seems determined to help, really full of spunk :lol:

What happens when it struggles to stay in 4th, Bri? Not just the torque converter locking / unlocking?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am 

Brian_H wrote:
Don't think Whale sperm is required, are you banned from Seaworld yet :roll: :twisted: :shock:

Oh, I don't get it from Whales - that stuff costs a fortune. I produce it myself - "Whale Sperm" is just a brand name. It's quite an enjoyable process, actually. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 am 

Lots of mentions of "governor valves" causing problems on those - one thread suggested holding it in second, and thrashing it for a while, to keep the revs nice and high - apparently this is meant to "clean" the valve - but a dirty valve is often just a symptom that you have more severe problems somewhere else in the box!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:38 pm 
Advanced Member

Dunno where you've found lots of mentions as they are normally nigh on bulletproof. Mine is at 329,600 miles and still on the original ZF4HP22 gearbox with no problems. Mine is ex-police and a guy I used to work with had previously been a fitter with the police. They loved the gearboxes on the P38 as they were so strong you could slam it into reverse at 70 mph if you wanted to stop very quickly without doing any damage.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:54 pm 
Installer

Would think if it slips it points to a clutch problem, if it just doesn't want to stay in 4th but 4th works OK while it stays in that gear it points to a valve body type problem... unless it just doesn't like 4th because the engine isn't making enough torque so you have to put your foot down further to maintain speed (and didn't we think there was a problem with your engine)...

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next