LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 am 

With the vague idea of overseas travel in mind, what are typical prices of Autogas outside the UK in europe.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:36 am 

Luthuania 45/50p per liter dirty cheap...

www.devonautogas.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 pm 

I've been considering opening the FillLPG up worldwide, can't think of any reason not to.

The apps and website could still only load the UK stations to save on us downloading data unecessarily for overseas sites.

They might not get the updates as often, but at least knowing where they are when travelling abroad might be useful?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:20 pm 
Advanced Member

Most EU countries charge roughly the same as we do but the recent fall in the value of the pound against the Euro have made it more expensive For instance, 90 Euro cents a litre on the French Motorways was cheaper than here but not now the exchange rate is as it is. Belgium tends to be the cheapest of the nearby EU countries so probably works out around the same or slightly cheaper than the UK. As said, Lithuania is cheaper (Poland and Latvia are even cheaper still) but you need to exit the EU and into Russian gas prices before it gets really cheap (roughly half the price of EU countries).

For the full, regularly updated list, see http://www.energy.eu/ (LPG is about 2/3rds the way down the page).

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:06 pm 

There is some variation wrt prices in Western Europe with Denmark being an extreme high (LPG is taxed the same as petrol) and Belgium and Luxembourg (LPG having no fuel duty at all). I've found this site to be very useful: http://www.mylpg.eu/ but note that there is often huge variations in local prices compared to published averages (eg Netherlands average official price EUR 0.815, I filled up for EUR 0.64).

Worth noting is that Belgian prices have an upper maximum set by government so you're not taken for a ride if filling up on the motorway, but you can find even cheaper LPG off the highway. Last week I filled up for EUR 0.521 (that's 43.6p) per litre just 200 yards off the motorway outside Gent (Lukoil, Kortrijksesteenweg 1054, 9051 Sint-Denijs-Westrem) . If travelling through Belgium this http://brandstofprijzen.vroom.be/route.php handy dandy route planner will show you the 10 cheapest stations close to your route, and in France this http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/itineraire/ government-operated route planner will do something similar, very comprehensively.

In the Netherlands the cheapest I've generally found is Makro at EUR 0.64 or so per litre http://www.makro.nl/public/home/Vestigingen/Tanken but only a few of them have LPG (you don't need a Makro card to fill up). I've seen EUR 0.66 on the motorway, which is very good; there is quite large price variation between stations even very close to each other with no obvious reason for a particularly high or low price.

If you're not afraid of a little linguistic experimentation, Google for:

Dutch/Flemish:
goedkoopste LPG

German:
billigste LPG

For some reason "GPL bon marche" doesn't yield much for France.

-- G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 pm 
Advanced Member

Just got back from one of my regular trips to the south of France and back. Autroroute prices vary between 0.93 and 0.97 Euro but at the Carrefour supermarket just off Junc 44 of the A8, it's 0.835 Euro!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:18 pm 

Euros .825 at Hyper U in St Junien (Charente) two days back. Extortion 97 on motorways as you say.

Always annoys me the A28 returning after Rouen that the first service station you come to only sells LPG until 8pm and from 6am. Best ignored and carry on to Translay S.S. which is not much further and sells at all hours and doesn't want your credit card in advance or payment up front as do some French S.S's in wee hours.

Was running very low when got to that SS and should have switched to Petrol as unable to fill. Climbing the hills beyond the Somme had a blowback. Fortunately the blowback valve did its job and quick to switch to petrol. Examined at Translay SS and everything looked OK and filled up, but decided I'd leave the gas until back in England (coward that I am) - Gave me a chance to put some injector/cat cleaner in the petrol and thrash down to Calais. Went very smoothly on gas when back in UK.

PS Should add that Dover South SS price was £0.729 on 16th November

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:21 pm 
Advanced Member

Yes, I've started using that one at Dover, or Medway services on the M2 (also cheap), on my way down rather than leaving it until I get the other side of the water and filling up at the big Total station in Calais. The regs in France say that LPG filling must be supervised so at night when some of the Autoroute services go over to plastic in the slot pumps, you can't get LPG. Not so much of a problem during the holiday season as most of them stay open all night but out of season I always make sure I've got at least a quarter tank of petrol just in case......