LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 am 

Hi all. Just to let you know there's a 24 hour self service pump on Factory Lane industrial estate, Lostock Hall, which is currently only 59.9p a litre for LPG. This is an unattended pump with a chip and pin reader so it's card only. However, the owner of the pump is very helpful if you've any issues (his mobile number is attached to a sign and he only lives round the corner). This is the cheapest I have seen near me, the next being Morrisons at 63-64.9p a litre which seems to vary daily.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Admin

chip and pin on an lpg pump, never seen that before, about time it happened though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:39 pm 

john_d wrote:
chip and pin on an lpg pump, never seen that before, about time it happened though.

Me neither. It's an odd system as the reader is on a separate box a few feet from the pump itself and you have to move a lever on the pump to one position, enter your card pin, go back to the pump, fill up and then put the lever back how it was. It's easy once you know how and it's the only non motorway garage nearby that has 24 hour gas, too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 pm 
Intermediate Member

i've seen a few - flogas in Leicester being one, Potters poultry near rugby has the same I think. Busybee on IOW is one as well. Think I've come across a few others in strange places as well. Seems to work ok and get less issues with broken pumps at them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 pm 

Excellent information. Can you make sure it's on my site please?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:12 am 
Intermediate Member

Leicester also has a normal pump. Any chance of putting the flags back to editable on your site Richard to accommodate this a bit better (currently can't edit them only set them when station is created?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:52 pm 

richard_ha wrote:

Already have. I'm a very active user of your site and even added two garages to the list. I even update prices for places I pass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm 

Brian_H wrote:
Any chance of putting the flags back to editable on your site Richard to accommodate this a bit better (currently can't edit them only set them when station is created?)

Yep. I'll do that.

carguy143 wrote:
richard_ha wrote:

Already have. I'm a very active user of your site and even added two garages to the list. I even update prices for places I pass.

Cool thank you :)

Thank you. Most of the time I pass places they've already been done!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm 
Intermediate Member

richard_ha wrote:
Brian_H wrote:
Any chance of putting the flags back to editable on your site Richard to accommodate this a bit better (currently can't edit them only set them when station is created?)

Yep. I'll do that.

carguy143 wrote:
richard_ha wrote:

Cool thank you :)

Thank you. Most of the time I pass places they've already been done!

Cheers on the first bit, Second comment sounds like the site is working well then?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:01 pm 

carguy143 wrote:
Hi all. Just to let you know there's a 24 hour self service pump on Factory Lane industrial estate, Lostock Hall, which is currently only 59.9p a litre for LPG. This is an unattended pump with a chip and pin reader so it's card only. However, the owner of the pump is very helpful if you've any issues (his mobile number is attached to a sign and he only lives round the corner). This is the cheapest I have seen near me, the next being Morrisons at 63-64.9p a litre which seems to vary daily.

I've been using what was the Preston Calor Centre (now it's the Preston Gas Centre - now privately owned as opposed to being one of the nationwide Calor chain), which is literally next door (about 10 metres away from this Kellett's pump) since we had the car converted in August 2008. For some reason or other I never really like to use Kellett's unattended pump - seems a bit dodgy to me. I know it probably isn't (I'm not casting aspersions here) and on the rare occasion when I've needed gas when the Gas Centre is closed, I have used it without any problems, but I do find myself keeping a close eye on my credit card statements for a month or two after :)

In my experience over the last five years, the Gas Centre usually sets the price and Kellett's pump matches it, but - and I stress that I have no proof of this, this is purely my own opinion and I may well be wrong - but I *THINK* I've noticed on one or two occasions that the two prices match during the day but then the unattended Kellett's pump goes up in price a bit after the Gas Centre closes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 pm 

sorcerer wrote:
carguy143 wrote:

I've been using what was the Preston Calor Centre (now it's the Preston Gas Centre - now privately owned as opposed to being one of the nationwide Calor chain), which is literally next door (about 10 metres away from this Kellett's pump) since we had the car converted in August 2008. For some reason or other I never really like to use Kellett's unattended pump - seems a bit dodgy to me. I know it probably isn't (I'm not casting aspersions here) and on the rare occasion when I've needed gas when the Gas Centre is closed, I have used it without any problems, but I do find myself keeping a close eye on my credit card statements for a month or two after :)

In my experience over the last five years, the Gas Centre usually sets the price and Kellett's pump matches it, but - and I stress that I have no proof of this, this is purely my own opinion and I may well be wrong - but I *THINK* I've noticed on one or two occasions that the two prices match during the day but then the unattended Kellett's pump goes up in price a bit after the Gas Centre closes.

I've always had to use the chip and pin reader as the gas centre closes at 6pm and i never get there in time. Although, i must say their service is great as the chip and pin one (Kellets) was broken on friday when i went to fill up just after 6pm. The guys at Preston Gas centre offered to open back up so i could use their pump and fill up. I just wish they were open later as they'd always get my business if they were.