LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm 
Intermediate Member

Anyone else able to connect? I'm getting 403 errors currently when trying.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
Advanced Member

Yup, same here. What is it anyway?

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 pm 
Intermediate Member

Is/was the site with the paid for lpg station directory (the one that is tied to the printed map)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:47 pm 
Advanced Member

I only use the accurate one, www.filllpg.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:55 pm 
Intermediate Member

Theres still a number of stations in some areas that aren't on filllpg although the accuracy of the data on filllpg is alot better and more reliable. That said it didn't cover NI on go-autogas whereas filllpg does.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:06 pm 
Advanced Member

Brian_H wrote:
Theres still a number of stations in some areas that aren't on filllpg
So put them on then. There were none when it was first started, every station on there has been put on by users, that's the whole idea of it and that's why it is accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm 
Intermediate Member

Well aware of that. But its trying to put them in in the right place that isn't always so easy (and finding them). I have been putting those on I've discovered.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:40 pm 
Advanced Member

I always zoom in on the map and then switch to satellite view. That way you can put the pin right in the middle of the forecourt!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:47 pm 
Intermediate Member

That bit and the website isn't the problem, Its the somewhat vague and unclear addresses to find the places in the first place either on the ground or via the sat view. Calor's own website lists some that don't exist any more as far as i can tell.

Its not anything that can be improved on filllpg as its more that the info isn't readily available to put it on there in the first place. I have/do update stations when i can see they are wrong or missing info!. Its really a failing in part of the retailers as its hard work finding any information from some of them (Shell, Morissons and BP for example are ok, Texaco/Jet/Sainsburys don't seem to have any info anywhere I've found as I suspect its not a priority for them).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 pm 

i bought my great Britain Autogas/LPG map from Countrywide ,on there recommendations ,i have not been able to loge into their website www.go-Autogas.com to download the Sat nav Download, i received 403 errors as well.
i contacted Countrywide ,they said that GO-autogas have ceased trading.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm 
Advanced Member

Brian_H wrote:
Texaco/Jet/Sainsburys don't seem to have any info anywhere I've found as I suspect its not a priority for them).
What info are you trying to find? Surely all you really need is the location of the station and the current price?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm 
Intermediate Member

Gilbertd wrote:
Brian_H wrote:
Texaco/Jet/Sainsburys don't seem to have any info anywhere I've found as I suspect its not a priority for them).
What info are you trying to find? Surely all you really need is the location of the station and the current price?

Yeah try finding the info of which stations under their branding offer lpg on their websites. It doesn't appear to exist.

Whats really quite bad of go-autogas is selling memberships that they now aren't honoring in any way without even as much as any explanation from them that they aren't trading anymore by the looks of it. Though given their way of how they have gone about it in the past its probably a good thing they are gone now. It does explain why they were offering heavy discounts on the last map just before christmas though.

I'll add any that I find to filllpg.co.uk as i discover them (theres got to be at least another 100 or so to go as the 2013 map shows 1100 stations and the total on filllpg is around 1047 which also has some in Ni which the map didn't cover so at a guess there should be a fair number still to find and verify they actually still exist. The only reason i got the map was when filllpg went down early last year which Richard did get sorted out after a few alterations to fix whatever the problem was.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 pm 
Advanced Member

I've never trusted any of the corporate websites to give accurate information. I only add stations that I see for myself rather than add stations to the website that may or may not exist. Somebody did the same a while ago and added stations from another website including two in my area. One closed down at least 3 years ago and the other never has sold LPG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 pm 
Intermediate Member

Yeah i've deleted a few including tesco at hatfield that got readded which hasn't sold lpg for at least 3 years so i don't tend to trust them either without at least some sort of verification (petrolprices can be useful in that respect as you can look for a particular fuel type but obviously that misses quite a lot of places where fuel cards don't get used for lpg in a particular week or where they don't take them etc).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:14 pm 

I wasn't aware the go auto gas had disappeared until I received an email from a member a few days ago. I can't say I'm surprised (my opinion was a post here... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7907), which lead to the launch of my site.

FillLPG could really do with some problems sorting out (which will probably be a rewrite in all honesty). I've not given it the attention it deserves recently. Sometimes it's even weeks between visits as I don't have an LPG powered car at the moment!

It's clear that the site is very useful and I'm very happy to see that it is still being heavily used (about 1gb traffic a day!).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm 
Intermediate Member

TBH its probabbly good riddance to them as their info hasn't really improved from the original post you made. The offers of free champagane that never showed up summed them up really. Shame as the map they did was a good idea but scale of it just wasn't good enough. The satnav info was frankly appalingly unreliable and even when errors were reported they either didn't get corrected or responded to. I think we can all see why now. Still at least it should encourge people to use the better alternative site now.

Anything specific that you think needs addressing Richard? Good to see its seeing use from people I guess a fair number have the poi file if nothing else from your site. Hopefully a few more people will start updating prices etc although I'd suspect most people don't use a lot of different stations on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm 

I'd like to make the changes with thinks like the address field to make is more standard and to include phone number fields. I'm not entirely happy with the process of adding stations as it can be a little awkward for a first time user. Really it evolved so quickly that what is there now has been so heavily modified it's not really good code for making future changes to.

One thing we are really lacking at the moment I think is an iPhone app. We've been very lucky to have members donate their own time to develop an android app and a windows mobile one too.
I've not got the desire or time to learn a whole other programming language and environment, I have enough different ones to deal with at work!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 pm 
Intermediate Member

all sounds positive, iphone would be good for sake of completeness although its good as you say that different members have developed both windows and android ones to allow better access. Have seen some of the problems you have with stations not ending up where they are intended or duplicated so i guess you have a fair point that it isn't ideal for new users.

Hopefully you can manage to make a way of keeping the data thats already there. Its a far better job than any of the other existing efforts I've come across. And being able to correct ones that aren't right or have closed makes it far more useful than others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:50 am 
Intermediate Member

Just happened to discover it looks like go-autogas has returned but under another ownership "Map Graphics Limited" rather than 4X4 publishing. Valid logins seem to work as well if anyone else still has one.

Looking at the poi file in an editor shows the scale of errors isn't greatly improved though - theres Morrisons doncaster shown in the middle of Russia and a couple of pointers in the north sea.....