LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:06 pm 

Hi

I've got a BRC system in my 2003 petrol L322 Vogue. It worked fine when I purchased it a few weeks ago. I refueled with a full tank of LPG but it is refusing to switch over to gas. It will just beep for about 10 mins as if its empty, then if it does decide to switch, the engine immediately cuts out and I lose all power until I turn it back to petrol again.

I've got the same system in my Freelander so I'm well used to it, I've just never had this problem before.

The car was recently serviced and all fluids were changed. It has a full tank of lpg and a full tank of petrol. The fill indicator on the LPG switch shows it's full as does the gauge on the tank.

My local LPG guy wont work on a system thats charged as he has no filtration in his workshop so I would like to try and sort this out before having to purge a full tank before taking it over to him...

Does anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:09 pm 

Rule out the easy to check things first: Start it with the switch in the petrol only setting. Then get someone to listen near the tank whilst you switch it to LPG - do they hear the solenoid valve open? Repeat for the solenoid valve in the engine bay at the reducer. If those valves aren't opening, then no LPG will get to the engine and it'll stall.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:01 pm 

I've just been out working on the boot and had the engine on whilst doing so. There was no noise at all from the tank. I had the LPG switch on the gas setting so I could hear if it switched over. After about 20 mins it finally did and cut out immediately as there was no gas getting through. Unfortunately a car came past at the same second so I may have missed the solenoid opening. I thought I would try it again but this time, the button was still beeping after 30 mins. No switchover at all that time.

Can I change the solenoid myself? Will I need to empty the tank first?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:24 pm 
Installer

All the above is relevant but may be worth noting that some BRC systems work a bit differently to the norm, they switch the solenoids and wait until the gas pressure reading is normal before switching injection from petrol to LPG. For someone waiting to hear a click from a solenoid this could be critical because for someone working alone the solenoid they're listening to may have clicked as soon as they pressed the switch while they weren't listening. Would have someone else press the switch while you listen to both solenoids (obviously in turn), or just pull a vapour hose and see if gas comes out.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 am 
Intermediate Member

pluribus wrote:
Hi

I've got a BRC system in my 2003 petrol L322 Vogue. It worked fine when I purchased it a few weeks ago. I refueled with a full tank of LPG but it is refusing to switch over to gas. It will just beep for about 10 mins as if its empty, then if it does decide to switch, the engine immediately cuts out and I lose all power until I turn it back to petrol again.

I've got the same system in my Freelander so I'm well used to it, I've just never had this problem before.

The car was recently serviced and all fluids were changed. It has a full tank of lpg and a full tank of petrol. The fill indicator on the LPG switch shows it's full as does the gauge on the tank.

My local LPG guy wont work on a system thats charged as he has no filtration in his workshop so I would like to try and sort this out before having to purge a full tank before taking it over to him...

Does anyone have any ideas?

You mentioned all the fluids being changed - If this happened immediately afterwards, then I'd suspect an airlocked vapouriser as a possible cause, easy to check if you can get to it, just check if its getting hot as the engine warms up.

pluribus wrote:
Can I change the solenoid myself? Will I need to empty the tank first?

Depends on the type of tank - if its a 4 hole tank then removing the solenoid post will require emptying the tank, but the coil could be changed without removing the post. Single hole should have a manual shutoff valve on the multivalve to allow changing the post if required, again coil can be changed without a problem. Worth noting if its a single hole tank that the valve can sometimes end up closed (meddling fingers etc) at least partially, which could cause a lack of pressure as well.

It may help to find out which BRC system it is if possible, as that may narrow down the troubleshooting somewhat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:31 pm 
Installer

With BRC check for voltage at the solenoids. They have a separate external relay that can fail

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits