LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:17 am 

Piro seems to be like some control products I've had experience of. Sounds really good, but never really got to be that good and if another few weeks were spent developing software would have been that good - but by that point everyone looses enthusiasm and it's never finished.

I'm running the software on my win7 laptop and it seems to work ok.

What I will do when I get home is post up the charts after auto tune (should have done that at the weekend). I also noticed a slider for rpm along the bottom of auto tune - so I'm presuming I can move that and carry the auto tune out for different rpm.

With regards to the injectors - where are they? In assuming they are the outlets on each bank of solenoid valves rather than being the inlets on the inlet manifold?

How do I tell what size I have - are they stamped on it?

Can I drill them out to the next size up or am I better off buying new ones?

Thanks.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 pm 

Photos of the tables after the auto tune.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:34 pm 
Installer

Numbers in the maps might suggest combination of pressure and nozzle size not far from correct if we knew engine was fuelled properly with these settings, though the high pressure might lead to issues with Piro pressure correction if my (earlier mentioned) thoughts on Piro pressure correction are correct. Two methods can be used to confirm proper fuelling.. 1. Can drive the car on petrol at constant throttle position (not constant road speed or rpm) and note petrol injector duration, then without moving throttle do same on LPG (again noting petrol injector duration. If petrol injector duration changes the settings in relevant table cells are incorrect. Do for both banks, do for all cells up to around 0.7 bar manifold pressure (or when petrol system goes open loop). Higher load cells cannot be checked by above method, you set those to ensure mixture is correct (around 0.9 stochiometric will see just about max voltage from a 0to1 volt lambda probe - not a bad idea to compare post cat readings on such vehicles too, on vehicles with wide band lambda probes you need to read OBD live data which will show live mixture readings), again for all cells in both banks. 2. Drive the car on LPG while monitoring live fuel trim data from OBD scanner, long and short term trims should equate to about zero but aim for somewhere between what petrol trims are and zero. As with 1, high load open loop fuelling should be set by monitoring mixture readings.

The 15% difference in numbers between the two banks might hint at a problem, perhaps with one or more injectors.

Correct assumption on injector nozzles, always possible to check size by snug fit with none business end of a drill bit method. Remember nozzle flow increases with area of nozzles (PixRxR).. Since your autotune returned these numbers, don't drill nozzles yet.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 pm 

Just sent you a PM Simon.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:45 pm 
Installer

I replied to your PM Tom.

I didn't reply to a few of the points/questions you listed in your post...

Piro sounded very promising back in the day it was introduced, these days many systems have many of the same features applicable for use on most vehicles and on many of those systems the basics work properly... Piro does have a few novel features, just not very useful ones for normal use.

topcat2006 wrote:
I also noticed a slider for rpm along the bottom of auto tune - so I'm presuming I can move that and carry the auto tune out for different rpm.
Not very useful - If you look at the numbers in the map (tables), they don't change much for rpm, rather they change with engine load. It is usually possible to get decent calibration with same numbers going across each row, as long as numbers change going down columns. It is mostly about setting multiplier, so for given input of petrol injector duration, output of LPG injector duration gives unchanging fuel mixture compared to running on petrol.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:08 pm 

Finally got my wheels back!

Took the jeep out for a spin with the auto tuned map. No hesitation at around 3000 rpm as was my initial problem. But it ran out of steam at the top end and didn't idle smoothly....

So. Put the original map back in with Simons changes. Took it for another spin. Wow! No hesitation, pulled like a train! Idled smoothly, pretty good!

Looking forward to visiting Simon later this month and seeing if we can improve it some more - but for now really pleased with what we have achieved.

Simon, thank you!

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:07 pm 
Installer

Very good Tom, thanks for saying! Dai's suggestion of updating firmware will no doubt have been a major contributing factor!

Could definitely do with further tuning having seen your map, calibration will be rough and has unexpected dips and peaks at the moment, shape also likely incorrect, got you running something like though.

Nice to chat the other day, see you later in month.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,