LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:44 pm 

Hi

Sorry if this has been covered before but what are people's opinion on sourcing a second handhlpg kits? Assuming that there would be some service requirements before fitting, but I suspect I'll struggle to find a reputable installer to certify/ check set up. Any thoughts?

Also Poland appears to be a source of cheaper kits, what are people's opinion on those? Assuming that I would have the same issues on certification/ set up?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 pm 

False economy. You'd need to buy new pipework and you may as well buy a new tank since they have an "expiry date". You'd need to get all the rubber bits serviced, which will take time and money - if you can get spares!

You can probably spend the time you'd waste faffing with worn, broken stuff earning the money to buy decent new stuff :-)

I have read the whole Toolless thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:54 pm 
Intermediate Member

Some of the installers on here offer DIY kits with support available, it may be worth investigating that route.

Most of the tanks are made in Poland anyway, so no issues there either way, All the equipment sold in the eu has to be certified to certain standards (E67) as well and stamped as such (some of the chinese made stuff will not meet this requirement), but if you get it from someone you can speak to in the event of any issues you will find it works out a lot less hassle in the long run, Plus if you need the setup/certification of the install you will need to be contacting an installer anyway.

It might help to give an idea where your located, and what vehicle your intending to install onto.

I've also seen some used systems on ebay with people asking for similar amounts of money to what you could buy new for anyway. Depends whats on offer at the time, and how much hassle you want to deal with. Pipes as mentioned will almost certainly need replacement simply due to differences between installations, and their condition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:17 pm 

That matches my thinking to be honest. The kit is going on a P38 Range Rover, and second hand kits straight off one of those, including manifold go for around £300. Plus pipes, service items, numerous other bits and pieces that will need repair or replacement is going to add up. Looking on Ebay it seems a suitable kit can be had for around £900 with tech support and advice including certification is only a couple of hundred more than 2nd hand stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

Trouble is also you don't know why the kits been removed in the first place. The biggest single expense is probabbly going to be the tank depending what option you go for, P38s are a fairly common conversion so sourcing a suitable kit to suit what you require shouldn't be a problem at all. If your new to running/converting a vehicle then a new kit will present a lot less stupid problems for you (wires cut too short etc, lack of the correct instructions/wiring diagrams, missing and broken bits etc).

The tech support does add some significent value to the install - the quicker you get the install done to a satsifactory and working condition the quicker it will start paying for itself as well.