LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:23 am 

Hi

I have just purchased an LS430 that was converted to LPG, using a KME system, that was installed 30/11/11. The car has done about 20,000 miles since then and I believe it was serviced about 8-10,000 miles ago but no written proof. The tank is a Bormech, 72 litre Toodial.

There are several issues that I am looking for advice about please, if possible. I am reasonably handy mechanicially but have never worked on an LPG system.

1) The switch/button and gauge in the dashboard does not seem to work properly. The LPG is obvioulsy being used as too many miles are being travelled for petrol alone but the green lights don't seem to go out as you travel (i.e. indicating that the gas is being used). Why might that happen? Could it be the sender unit in the tank or the display in the dashboard.

2) The green light that indicates that the system is on seems to flash a lot, especailly when it starts up. I understand that the system is probably designed to not allow the gas through until the engine is hot but even once hot it will keep flashing, then it beeps and goes off. You need to press the button twice for it to come back on. More flashing than a beep and off it goes. This can happen several times until it stays on. Even when hot and you start up, it can flash and then go off, or flash for up to a minute before it becomes a solid light. Any suggestions?

3) Once the system is on there appears to be a "knocking" or "tapping" sound that somes from the Reducer - which seems to be this one - http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/lpg-autogas-km ... apourizer/ . Is that normal? I didn't notice it when I initially bought the car but you know what it is like when you buy a car, you begin to notice different noises as time progresses.

4) I notice that you can get a Repair Kit - http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/kme-silver-gol ... epair-kit/ Is that something that I would need? If so is it easy enough for a non-professional to do or should it be left to an installer?

5) The Engine Management light is on and I was told it has always been on and is a consequence of having LPG on a lexus. Having read posts in the LS430 forum by others with LPG installed on their cars, it shouldn't be on and probably indicates that the LPG ECU might need to be set up differently. Does that sound right? I would imagine that the installer should be able to help their by reading the ECU.
6) I can see the filter and am happy to replace that but if I am getting it serviced is it best to leave everything to the installer?

One last thing I appreciate that there are a number of issues here and I have booked it in with an installer who seems to be reputable and is familiar with a KME system. Should I just leave it all to him to sort out or do somethings myself? I just don't want to be charged a fortune for stuff that I could have done myself or should I leave the installer to try and correct all the various issues.

Sorry for all the questions and info but any help or advice greatfully received. I can add pictures if that helps.

Thanks,LPG Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:00 pm 
Installer

I would say it sounds like a miriad of things and that it may be far quicker to get a pro to look at it for you.
The level sender may be worth checking out yourself see if the sender is plugged in. Or if it's corroded. Or the pin has broken on the plug.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:03 pm 
Installer

LPGNewbie wrote:
Could it be the sender unit in the tank or the display in the dashboard.

Yes. There's some type matching that needs to go on by software selection. Sender and wiring may not even be present. Oddly enough the last 'no level' I looked at had the sender fitted upside down...

LPGNewbie wrote:
2) The green light that indicates that the system is on seems to flash a lot, especailly when it starts up.

It's normal to flash at start up - waiting for temperature and a delay.
Flashing other times indicates a problem, see below - you might notice a different flash rate.
Also flashes when out of fuel (or thinks it is), this is not related to the tank level display at all though.

LPGNewbie wrote:
3) Once the system is on there appears to be a "knocking" or "tapping" sound that somes from the Reducer

It's probably transmitted noise from gas injectors, they can make a clatter. Depends on wear, mounting details, type; might be able to improve, might not.

LPGNewbie wrote:
5) The Engine Management light is on and I was told it has always been on and is a consequence of having LPG on a lexus.

Amazing how folk get away with that.
Obviously there is something wrong - most likely set up, but note that set up includes selection of right parts to begin with, and assembly choices, as well as adjustments. You haven't much hope of sorting it out without diagnostic software to connect to gas system. That's doable, but I'd wait for your man's assessment first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the service, hopefully it will give some answers and get the system working properly.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:08 pm 

Looks like your main issue wrong setup...
Get someone who works with kme ...its not the systems fault
just settings ...
i got today car with brc system wich was checked by gas power for strange missfire wich they cant find fault..and owner was told nothing wrong with lpg system...
simple check with pliers clamp the injector hose shows up wich injector dead...
was surprised how they didnt find fault..

www.devonautogas.co.uk