LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: I want a car!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:42 pm 

Following the recent demise of the tired old Vectra, I'm looking for an older but similar sized (or bigger) car.

Can be tatty/damaged but must have MoT and all (MoT relevant) systems should be working.

Ideally already LPG - larger car, 2-3ltr, ideally 1995-2005 (not a Jag) upto ~£1500

WHY?

Post subject: Re: I want a car!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:46 pm 
Advanced Member

Plenty to choose from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-/9801/i. ... c=1&_sop=1

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 am 

I have a 2005 Santa fe 2.7l V6 running on LPG converted by Tubbs Moted and all in good condition 76000 miles. £2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:12 pm 
Installer

I have a P1 V70 2.3 non turbo. Fresh MOT and a kit ready to stick on it

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:44 pm 

Just seen this thread, got a 95 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L HO Limited running single point Leo, all MoT bits are working but rear springs are sagging. I have a pair of springs to go on but unable to do them myself now. It's Mot'd until mid October (16th i think), tyres are reasonable to good, comes with 2 spare alloys (as well as the spare) and some other assorted spares.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

@Dave

this thread is over a year old now ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:53 pm 

Once again - looking for a lpg car.

I really wanted a rangerrover but can't find anything of suitable condition (old enough for the low tax) for the money I have.

Considrering a 2.3 galaxy as I want something with van abilities. There is a very overpriced advertised ready converted and several much nicer non-converted ones at sensible prices.

I need to make a purchase in the next 4-6 weeks and can stretch to £2500 (more for a good rrover) for the right car (but less for a MK2 2.3petrol galaxy!!).

Would even consider an old merc/volvo/etc (before change of tax rules in 2001) but so far have only seen awful things with rotted out inner wings and screaming diffs (apparantly there is a little rust but drives well with no noises or vibrations).

Thanks

@john_d
@Dave
it is over a year old - odly, the car i replaced the vecta with has now been scrapped and I'm again, looking for another LPG car. Please let this run 'til the end Sept 2016

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:05 pm 
Advanced Member

For £2.5k you should be able to get a very decent '98-'00 P38 Range Rover already converted. You might need to get your hands dirty sorting out all the usual problems that cause people to sell them, but parts are cheap, just avoid anything with any overheating issues as that can be expensive. Mine is currently showing 315,000 miles and has another 5,000 to do in the next 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:36 pm 
Intermediate Member

kbs wrote:
Once again - looking for a lpg car.

I really wanted a rangerrover but can't find anything of suitable condition (old enough for the low tax) for the money I have.

Considrering a 2.3 galaxy as I want something with van abilities. There is a very overpriced advertised ready converted and several much nicer non-converted ones at sensible prices.

I need to make a purchase in the next 4-6 weeks and can stretch to £2500 (more for a good rrover) for the right car (but less for a MK2 2.3petrol galaxy!!).

Would even consider an old merc/volvo/etc (before change of tax rules in 2001) but so far have only seen awful things with rotted out inner wings and screaming diffs (apparantly there is a little rust but drives well with no noises or vibrations).

Thanks

@john_d
@Dave
it is over a year old - odly, the car i replaced the vecta with has now been scrapped and I'm again, looking for another LPG car. Please let this run 'til the end Sept 2016

You should be able to pick up a mk1 or mk2 galaxy fairly cheaply - just be prepared for issues with door wiring (the wires used are rubbish and the insulation breaks off them). They do make a handy small van of sorts - the suspension in mine has been well tested with only drop links being replaced so far. The 2.3 seems a better bet than the 2.0l one to me though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:46 am 
Installer

I may be selling the 2000yr ML320 7 seater I bought to go on holiday in soon, and I may convert it to LPG before I sell it. Bought in a rush with no time left to convert before my holiday, so I had to run on petrol.. That left a bitter taste! :-( :lol:

Reckon this will be a fairly sought after model being a 7 seater running on LPG and a good tow car with dual electric towbar fitted etc. Even if I don't convert it to LPG it will be MOT'd soon so probably sold with very near full MOT and very recent all fluid service.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:07 pm 

Hi Simon,

'Sought after' is probably not the description of what I'm looking for. I want something to run into the ground over the next few years.
'Unwanted'. 'Unfasionable', 'old ford automatic', 'good value' is more my kind of thing!

Good luck with the sale - people do seem to get very good money for those.

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 pm 

Gilbertd wrote:
For £2.5k you should be able to get a very decent '98-'00 P38 Range Rover already converted. You might need to get your hands dirty sorting out all the usual problems that cause people to sell them, but parts are cheap, just avoid anything with any overheating issues as that can be expensive. Mine is currently showing 315,000 miles and has another 5,000 to do in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks Gil - thats the sort of thing I want. Troiuble is, if I dont buy one now it'll be a couple of years before I change again and I expect they may be too expensive by then. I've got about 6 weeks to find a car so the hunt is on!.

More than happy to get dirty - lots of real mechanical experiance - garage big enough to take one. They look a lot easier to maintain than the galaxy.

Those engines are not a problem for me (mechanically), nothing in the fuel/electronics I cant do but I would be scared of the transmission (lack of experiance there).

k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:25 pm 

Brian_H wrote:
You should be able to pick up a mk1 or mk2 galaxy fairly cheaply - just be prepared for issues with door wiring (the wires used are rubbish and the insulation breaks off them). They do make a handy small van of sorts - the suspension in mine has been well tested with only drop links being replaced so far. The 2.3 seems a better bet than the 2.0l one to me though.

Thanks Brian,

Expect to change drop links most years. Its not that they wear out but there is an MoT exemption for the usual play in the top susopension mount (flaoting). As every tester finds some movement in the top mount (and are not able to fail it normally) they fail the drop links instead.

Hardend wiring, yes but also corrosion in the door socket causing really odd alarm/window opening in middle of the night job. Not bad for the age of things though.

I'm quite happy to bodge my way through the electrics. The only thing I really dont like is the PATS2 system (its a mk2 I'm thinking of). If it hasn't got two keys - forget it. If it has two keys then get a third cut whilst you still have the two working ones!

Looking frantically but not bending over (yet).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 pm 
Advanced Member

kbs wrote:
Those engines are not a problem for me (mechanically), nothing in the fuel/electronics I cant do but I would be scared of the transmission (lack of experiance there).
Mine, despite 315,000 on the clock, is on the original transmission and transfer box. Replaced the rear diff last year and the only other thing is propshaft UJs which are under a tenner each and dead easy to change. The gearbox is a ZF unit (4HP22 or 24 depending on whether 4.0 litre or 4.6) and the transfer box a Borg Warner, both damn near bulletproof.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:14 pm 
Intermediate Member

kbs wrote:
Brian_H wrote:

Thanks Brian,

Expect to change drop links most years. Its not that they wear out but there is an MoT exemption for the usual play in the top susopension mount (flaoting). As every tester finds some movement in the top mount (and are not able to fail it normally) they fail the drop links instead.

Hardend wiring, yes but also corrosion in the door socket causing really odd alarm/window opening in middle of the night job. Not bad for the age of things though.

I'm quite happy to bodge my way through the electrics. The only thing I really dont like is the PATS2 system (its a mk2 I'm thinking of). If it hasn't got two keys - forget it. If it has two keys then get a third cut whilst you still have the two working ones!

Looking frantically but not bending over (yet).

With you on the keys - I broke one of the ones on the Focus (the key wore to the point it wouldn't actually do its job anymore, and failed to open the petrol cap - twisted it a bit harder than i should have done and ended up with the plastic allowing the metal bit to turn inside it - luckly had 2 keys, Got a 3rd blank key with new remote cut without a problem at one of the motor factors I usually use, but they were dubious about being able to code it - Seemed much happier when i said don't worry about that bit think i can sort it, used the two keys i had to program a third with no problem at all!).

The other thing the galaxy suffers with (apart from internal flooding from various sources - the rear washer being one weak point, blocked scuttles another common one) is the design of the door locks - They have a paddle on the back of the lock barrel which seems to be made out of something with the structural integrity of an MFI bookcase, which routinely breaks with minimal resistance (ie cold weather). This also causes the window problems as there is global opening on the lock barrel. I found the most effective solution to that was a universal remote locking kit if you only have the manual locks. corroded pins can always be fixed with a drill bit and a piece of wire if they prove problematic, the boot is the biggest culprit for breaking the wires.

Theres not a massive amount of space for a tank either, though at least its under-slung so slightly easier to accommodate.

Range Rover probably nicer to drive though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:28 am 

Gilbertd wrote:
Mine, despite 315,000 on the clock, is on the original transmission and transfer box. Replaced the rear diff last year and the only other thing is propshaft UJs which are under a tenner each and dead easy to change. The gearbox is a ZF unit (4HP22 or 24 depending on whether 4.0 litre or 4.6) and the transfer box a Borg Warner, both damn near bulletproof.

Hi Rich,
Good to know the transmission is solid. I'm, confident I can change it but not strip and rebuild it.
I'll keep looking and try some club websites
Keith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 am 

Brian_H wrote:
With you on the keys - I broke one of the ones on the Focus (the key wore to the point it wouldn't actually do its job anymore, and failed to open the petrol cap - twisted it a bit harder than i should have done and ended up with the plastic allowing the metal bit to turn inside it - luckly had 2 keys, Got a 3rd blank key with new remote cut without a problem at one of the motor factors I usually use, but they were dubious about being able to code it - Seemed much happier when i said don't worry about that bit think i can sort it, used the two keys i had to program a third with no problem at all!).

The other thing the galaxy suffers with (apart from internal flooding from various sources - the rear washer being one weak point, blocked scuttles another common one) is the design of the door locks - They have a paddle on the back of the lock barrel which seems to be made out of something with the structural integrity of an MFI bookcase, which routinely breaks with minimal resistance (ie cold weather). This also causes the window problems as there is global opening on the lock barrel. I found the most effective solution to that was a universal remote locking kit if you only have the manual locks. corroded pins can always be fixed with a drill bit and a piece of wire if they prove problematic, the boot is the biggest culprit for breaking the wires.

Theres not a massive amount of space for a tank either, though at least its under-slung so slightly easier to accommodate.

Range Rover probably nicer to drive though.

I'd hope to keep the rangerover longer and find more places to get help when it all goes wrong.
Less of an outlay for the Ford - possibly cheap enoigh to buy and convert but no sw uklpg installers offering diy 'support' (IE: I do the donkey work - they specify/inspect/commision).

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:55 pm 

Still searching for something comfortable and large.

Seen a few P38s but nothing near realistic yet.
Don't mind the work needing doing, its the lies and wasted journeys that irritate.
I must sound like a complete moron on the phone - why else would people spout such nonsense about thier cars?

Example 1:
Q Do you have the full log book?
A Yes.
The full log book was a dirty black and white photocopy of the new owners slip. I should have offered to pay with dirty black and white photocopies of £50 notes.

Example 2:
Q Does it overheat.
A No.
Whilst idling the temperature guage rises to the end of the range. Seller annouces that they all do that - it never goes any further. I should have asked how it could possibly go any further - perhaps he used to have one where the needle jumped off the guage and flew away into the fields?

And these were not cheap ones.

The hunt continues.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:58 pm 
Advanced Member

There are good ones out there and they do go on forever if you look after them. I've just got back from driving mine to Latvia and back and the previous week it towed a 3 tonne trailer to the south of France and back. 5,802 miles in three weeks and now showing 321,434.......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:56 pm 

Hi Gilb,

Sounds like a nice journey. I've got some much shorter euro journeys coming up this year and next. Would be good to have something sorted out but I'd want a few months and many miles before I was confident with it.
A smaller cheaper vehicle which could just be binned where it fails does have some attraction.

Viewing two more tomorrrow.

Spent lots viewing these now and will probably call it a day if I don't get anywhere soon.
There have been a couple of smaller vehicles that would have done fine.

Keith