LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 am 

Engine Management Light comes on soon after filling, if cleared it stays off mostly

Tank stops at 55 litres in a 78 litre tank, can it be adjusted?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:07 pm 
Intermediate Member

Might help to know why the engine management light is coming on - Filling on Gas I assume this is not petrol? Would suggest you have a look at the codes and post back with what error its detecting (and what vehicle might also help?)

The float should be preset on the valve - You don't say if its a single or 4 hole tank, but it shouldn't need adjusting if its the right valve. Its off by around 7 litres to the exact amount you'd expect, which isn't too bad though not ideal. Can be influenced by the placement of the valve and the orientation of the car when your filling though as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 pm 

Thanks

Will get the codes next week, my reader doesn't do much other than switch the EML off

Jaguar SV8 (4.2 supercharged)

The 7 litres would be useful for another 30 miles range

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:53 pm 

The EML came on randomly, cleared and then later filled from empty with LPG though pump stopped at 50 litres

Drove 20 miles and no EML so maybe not just with filling

Codes were P0101 and P0138

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:27 pm 
Installer

I think this is one I converted in February this year?

78L tank should fill to 62L, fill level can be adjusted but means the valve has to come out of the tank so the tank has to be empty first. The valves are preset and shouldn't need any adjustment to get the 80% fill but sometimes we find they do and there's no way of knowing if that will be the case before fitting them.

P0101 points to a problem with the MAF sensor (part of the original car and not a code that the LPG install could cause even if out of calibration).
P0138 points to an out of range voltage signal from the rear (post cat) lambda sensor on cylinder bank 1. Since there are no similar codes for the precat lambda sensor or fuel trim error codes I expect this code points to a faulty post cat probe on bank1 (so also not due to the LPG system being out of calibration).

I sometimes make notes on vehicles I convert, how I fitted the system and/or about any issues /potential issues I noticed with the car.. I made notes on your car but they don't include any potential issues I noticed. Nevertheless I do seem to remember having concerns about the MAF sensor / post cat probe at the time. Did I mention anything? I know your car was steaming up inside and the previous owner had replaced the coolant with none water based coolant so I remember advising you that the heater matrix would probably be leaking. Converted a lot of cars since I converted yours though! including another supercharged RangeRover with just about the same engine... for a guy who designs fuel systems for jet engines and chose to come to me for LPG conversion because he'd read some of my posts and he could tell I knew what I was doing ;-)

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:27 pm 

You did the conversion

Is it reasonably easy to adjust the tank valve?

Header tank was causing the coolant loss

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:54 am 
Installer

It's reasonably easy but a bit 'hit and miss' to adjust fill capacity, it involves bending the float arm of the valve (which supposedly has the correct bend when supplied for the 80% fill)... But it's a bit of a pain the remove and refit the valve - The tank must obviously be empty but even with empty tank some gas will escape when the valve is removed, there will be little play on the pipes even when the pipe clips under the rear of the vehicle have been undone.

Pleased it was only your header tank leaking, much easier job than changing the heater matrix! Wonder why the car was steaming up though.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:48 am 

Probably leave it then. Does 220 but would have preferred a range of 250