LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stuck on Yellow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 pm 

My BRC system is stuck on yellow with a bit of red! I cannot even turn it off so that it goes to red.
Warmed up and it still sits on yellow neither can I turn LPG off not that it's running on gas as it's currently on petrol.
(I suspect) as will drive around to see if the petrol needle drops or not indicating its switched to LPG but without indication.
Removed power to the MPU and will see if it's okay in the morning.

Post subject: Re: Stuck on Yellow
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:22 pm 

Reconnected the power and still it's stuck on yellow.
Still doesn't go to red when you press the button to switch off.
Filled up the tank. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm 
Advanced Member

If we understood what you were talking about, someone might be able to help. The only thing I can think of that may be stuck on yellow and then turn to red is a traffic light.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

Gilbertd wrote:
If we understood what you were talking about, someone might be able to help. The only thing I can think of that may be stuck on yellow and then turn to red is a traffic light.

I can only guess that its not switching to gas. At a guess maybe a temperature sensor problem as it doesn't appear to attempt to switch, or possibly a duff solenoid. Maybe worth checking for either broken off wires or a lack of coolant as a first step?

If the OP could provide some idea what BRC system it is maybe someone could help, but with so little to go on in the way of info I don't see much more that could be suggested?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 am 

This is the dashboard lpg switch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:50 pm 
Intermediate Member

Well it could be a few things still - I can't identify what system that is beyond some sort of BRC system I'd guess plug and drive if its the same one you posted before?
Is this the same Astro Day van you posted with issues with before, or another vehicle?
The basics would be a good idea to start with though

Has anything happened prior to this (needed to jump start? Battery changed? been into the garage for something else etc?)

Check your vapouriser once the engine is warmed - is it warm/hot? (while your there check the engine coolant level as it uses that to heat the vapouriser).
Check under the bonnet for any obvious loose wires - you will have feeds going to the battery as well as the lpg injectors (assuming its a sequential system) and it will pickup the rpm feed from somewhere. plus it should be picking up power from somewhere else - I'd suspect either you've lost the battery live, or the rpm feed personally. Alternatively it may even be as simple as a failed solenoid coil, Someone more familiar with BRC might be able to tell you by the behaviour?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:09 pm 
Installer

This is either a coincidence or Creatures is one of my customers whose BRC system I service every year, called in the other day on the off-chance of me having a look having has exactly the same problem.

My customer's problem had disappeared all by itself. Though it could have had something to do with him fitting a different switch himself.

For this guy (and BRC Plug N Drive system) I just checked for logged BRC errors and confirmed correct function of the system, no errors were logged and we couldn't recreate the same problem.

Worth saying that some BRC systems wait until pressure is near reference pressure before switching to LPG and can hang on a yellow switch light if there is a duff solenoid coil etc.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 pm 
Intermediate Member

Does this look familiar? (taken from his other post)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm 
Installer

Brian_H wrote:
Does this look familiar? (taken from his other post)

No, it was a saloon car I saw the other day! Converted a lot of those vans over the years though. Thanks Bri.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:21 pm 

Sorry I've been away.
Filled up with water and tapped on what looked like a solenoid under the hood and then went for a long ride. Stayed on yellow but on way back it started to behave somewhat. Eventually all the green lamps lit up to say the tank is full which it was. I tried my luck and switched the system off to see if the red lamp lights up which it did. Then hurriedly switched back on again. Seemed fine on the way home.
Will see if it comes on when I next start up and yes that's a picture of my beauty.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

Its getting airlocked by the sound of it then - At least now you know. Any idea where the water is going?