LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Slow to change to lpg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:27 pm 

Hi had this problem a few months now. I have a rover 75 with factory fitted lpg system landirenzo type car has done 150000 miles never looked at lpg system I know there are filter somewhere . This is the problem I start the car run it for a 100 to 300 yards the lpg cuts in I know because the green lights go solid but it cuts the petrol off but the car starts to die unless I turn of the lpg at this point the car is still quite cold . I try a few times and as the engine dies the lpg cuts in with a jolt . Anyone know the problem thanks Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:04 pm 
Intermediate Member

Sticky injectors more likely to be the problem. Any idea which Landi system it is - If its the omegas one with the Med injectors (big noisy things) then running some IC12 cleaner through mine every so often I've found to help. If it is fine once the engine is warm this would indicate they are gummed up to me (mine will splutter and cough in that state for a few miles use - I let it warm up on petrol for a couple of miles and its ok, so tried the cleaner being somewhat doubtful as to if it would help, but it definitely does make a noticable difference)

If it is that type of system there will be two filters - one will be in the solenoid housing near to the vapouriser, the other will be between the vapouriser and injectors. If your haven't changed them it might be worth considering doing so at the same time. Note that the omegas system described uses 14mm pipe, not the more common 12 or 16mm.

The vapour filter if its the med type one will be a housing with replacable element (will have sticker on outside with med and direction shown on it).

If your struggling to find bits post some pics of the bits you can find - theres a sticky post on the forum on linking pics from photobucket as you won't be able to upload them to the board unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:07 pm 

Hi Brian
Thanks for your reply I'm quite handy do I just add normal injector cleaner to the petrol to clean them .
The lpg system has the donut tank I the boot the vaporiser is the square looking one with a bolt in each corner holding it together . I see there are kits online to renew the seals . There is a inline canastier about the size of a dd battery that's yellow gold in colour . And yes it comes on ok when the engine is hotter , I flushed the raditor as I know the pipe heat the vapouriser .will try get some pics

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

Rogrover38 wrote:
Hi Brian
Thanks for your reply I'm quite handy do I just add normal injector cleaner to the petrol to clean them .
The lpg system has the donut tank I the boot the vaporiser is the square looking one with a bolt in each corner holding it together . I see there are kits online to renew the seals . There is a inline canastier about the size of a dd battery that's yellow gold in colour . And yes it comes on ok when the engine is hotter , I flushed the raditor as I know the pipe heat the vapouriser .will try get some pics

I've used this to clean them http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/ic12-injector-cleaner-and-lubricant-100ml/

You need to put it in upstream of the GAS injectors - Though with it being Landi it may not be omegas it may be the other system they do with the two motors. Some photos of the front end will help with that. If you follow the hose running to the canister bit (which i would assume is your vapour filter) then if you have injectors you should see them. It may run into a different assembly, if your not sure then get photos.

Theres no reason as yet to suspect the seals - generally it will leak gas somewhere it isn't wanted (either into the coolant, out to the atmosphere, or up though the vacuum line into the inlet mainfold) - in any of these states you will either smell it leaking, or find very poor running. You don't have that, so would suggest leaving the vapouriser alone at this stage.