LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:10 pm 

Evening gurus

2004 SAAB 2.0T - 2007 StarGas multi system OMVL installed 50k, 10 years ago 2007

Over the last 2 weeks the LPG system has been refusing to play ball.

It warms up as usual and temporarily automatically switches over to gas but then decides against it and quickly switches back to petrol leaving all lights flashing.

I'll try and attach a picture of the only things I can see of the system is in the tank ring hole.

It may be coincidental, but are there any temp sensors underneath the car? As a few weeks ago (6ish) I grounded the car on a central reservation (I know). Also, the weather of late has been sub-zero. Also, when I recall, it has been particularly lumpy on switch over leading up to this.

I hope someone can assist here as the only LPG garage in the vacinity is clsed until Jan 3rd.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Steven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:36 pm 

...I've also tried disconnecting the battery for half an hour and topping up the coolant ressy.

thanks

ps. I've tried adding photos but its shouting in red "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm 
Installer

Where in Northern England are you? I'm an installer just South of Pontefract, am open between now and new year and could certainly sort it. Kind of depends on how far you're prepared to travel, I regularly get customers from Scotland, Durham, London, Devon.. but such people know I sort everything that comes my way ;-)

Wouldn't necessarily assume a link between the lumpy running during changeover and refusing to run on LPG at all.

There are no sensors under the car but you may have damaged wiring going to the tank, leading to the electronic gas shut-off on the tank valve not opening.

If you're used to hearing a click from the tank just before it switches to gas, do you still hear the click?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 pm 

ah OK thanks Simon.

My local garage was open today and is open this week i've since found out (no admin staff in, obvs) so I'll try to get in some time soon.

Regarding the click, I still hear the click definitely. I hear it when it attempts to switch over and also when warm and all is flashing, I manually press between gas and petrol and hear the click every time. It's as if there some safety device telling the system that something is not safe for the car to run on gas AFTER switch over.

many thanks for replying

Steven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:44 pm 
Installer

Feel the rubber pipes, does it seem like they're pressurised? There is another electronic shut off valve under the bonnet.

Other than that, there may be a sensor problem.

Not many installers have Stargas facilities, it was imported by one firm around the time yours was fitted and they didn't manage to sell it to many other firms, many installers won't even have seen a Stargas system. Hopefully your local firm will draw the correct conclusions as they are likely to be the cheapest problems to fix..

Let us know how you get on?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:39 pm 

OK many thanks Simon.

Expect a call in about a weeks time.

regards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:32 pm 
Installer

Yeh no probs mate, probably a good idea ;-)

Cheers, Simon.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 am 

An update on this. I have bought the appropriate intefface cable (£45) but the stargas software I cold find on the Web won't talk to it.

The ecu is stargas elios and the software is stargas pegasus which according to their site should work.

If I could find the issue from the diagnostic software then hopefully I'll find the problem. My local lpg garage suggested this also. Help!!!

Steven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:32 pm 
Installer

The cable is right but software not. Two types of system there, you need the right one

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:49 pm 

yes that seems to be the situation Swede... Unfortunately I can't find the stargas elios software (if it exists) anywhere on the net.

feeling deflated now. Basically I'll have to sell the car for £600 because of a stupid small issue as this.

not to self no: 38383 - check the LPG system before buying a car.

thanks to all

Steven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:04 pm 
Installer

How much would you get for the car with LPG working?

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 pm 
Intermediate Member

mrLongstaff wrote:
yes that seems to be the situation Swede... Unfortunately I can't find the stargas elios software (if it exists) anywhere on the net.

feeling deflated now. Basically I'll have to sell the car for £600 because of a stupid small issue as this.

not to self no: 38383 - check the LPG system before buying a car.

thanks to all

Steven

I'd have a look at the solenoid on the front - Easiest way to tell is whats been said above, check theres pressure on the vapour side once you've heard it click (the front should click as well, though its hard to tell for sure). If you pull off a pipe once its tried to switch and theres no pressure there then either it isn't operating the solenoid(s) to allow anything out of the tank, or theres a restriction somewhere along the supply. Equally as said above you might have damage to the wires under the car, though running a jack underneath it should reveal anything as it should be visible.

Any idea on the tank type? Single hole you could have a proper look at the solenoid valve if you can shut the gas off and access the valve, not as easily possible on a 4 hole tank. Either way front solenoid is possible cause, and can be checked by removing the solenoid post - if theres gas upto this point something is stopping it working, could be a gunged up post, failed coil or the wiring having some sort of issue, all should be able to be confirmed without purchasing bits or having access to the software. Just be aware that if you do have pressure behind the coil that it will get cold on releasing it, so best done somewhere well ventilated with gloves.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 pm 

hi all.

i hope someone can help.

having bought the software and cable and connecting up I was excited to find..... no errors. damn.

but - can someone please tell me if the numbers are normal?

battery voltage -14 (its brand new)

carburation (sic) - correct and in the middle

voltage lambda probe 1 - 728 mv

voltage lambda probe 2 - 718 mv

temperature: 75 c

lpg bar pressure - 0.54

no errors

using pegasus software 2.4.6 A - I'm gonna deinstall this now and try the other versions see if that tells me more..

many thanks

steven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:47 pm 

..its been in the garage once, solenoids OK apparently and nothing obvious to view.

if i knew hot to add photos here I could assist further

thanks again

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:11 pm 
Intermediate Member

mrLongstaff wrote:
..its been in the garage once, solenoids OK apparently and nothing obvious to view.

if i knew hot to add photos here I could assist further

thanks again

S

Adding the photos involves putting them somewhere else (eg photobucket) and posting the link here. Some instructions here from Classicswede > http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13155

Does the lambda voltage change? It should flip/flop about.

Pressure looks rather low to me - I'd pull off a gas pipe if i were you after trying to switch, I'd be surprised if theres anything there pressure wise, If there is then have a look at the sensor reading (the one you've got listed for pressure in the previous post) - I'd expect somewhere near 1 bar if it was working, maybe higher depending how it was setup, 0.5bar sounds far too low.

If you do find no pressure on the low pressure side (the big rubber hose leading to the injectors) then the next step would be to check for pressure on the side entering the vapouriser - Loosening the solenoid post should release gas, if you find nothing there the tank solenoid isn't being opened or is gummed up, if there is pressure there it would sound like the front one is the cause to me.