LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: King 6 cylinder ecu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:17 pm 

Hi all,can anyone give me some pointers as to where my ecu programmes went.Went to Yorkshire Friday and got to Northampton on the way back and hit a very deep pothole on the,car went back on petrol and all lights on switch went out.Got home connected the programming cable it said ecu not connected.Checked fuses power going to the ecu and good earth.Tried another switch and pressure sensor but still no joy i have programmes in the laptop but it says programming not possible.Do you think the bang from the pothole damaged the ecu?

Post subject: Re: King 6 cylinder ecu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:34 pm 
Advanced Member

More likely damaged a power feed if everything went off. You've checked at the fuses but have you checked at the ECU itself?

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:30 pm 

Hi Gilberttd,i have power to the ecu and a good earth,i took the plug of the ecu but cant see anything amiss.Is there a way of checking the ecu apart from opening it up?Also am i right in thinking there is not a seperate wire to ignition switch but is linked to live on injectors?Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:13 pm 
Advanced Member

Yes, you'll have a permanent live and an ignition switched live (red/white wire) that is connected to the common positive on the petrol injectors. If that has come off then the system will switch off just the same as turning the ignition off.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:24 pm 

Thanks,mate will take the manifold off tommorow and have a look.Will let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 am 
Installer

To check the ignition/injector switched live all you need do is check for voltage on the red with white stripe wire that is part of the injector break loom - There are 2 injector looms running to the petrol injectors, both will have a red with white stripe but if you look at the LPG ECU side of the injector loom plugs only one of them has a corresponding red with white stripe, you need to check this one. Easier than taking manifolds off!

This also means that if you switched the injector break loom plugs over but at the engine side of the plugs only one red/white is connected to injector live, the LPG ECU won't get the switched live signal so won't turn on.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:14 am 

Thanks Simon,going out to have a look,will check as you said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:34 pm 

Hi again,live coming from the injectors still no connection the computer says ecu not connected,yet when i tell it to load configuration it says downloading data to the ecu,and then nothing,weird or what.Even tried a new cable from Tinley-Tec.Has anyone got an ecu lurking about in there workshop they want to sell?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:08 pm 
Installer

Live coming from the injectors... but does the engine side of the red/white wire match up to the red/white wire on the LPG ECU side of the plug?

Does the switch light up if you leave ignition off for 10 mins then turn ignition on? If that is the case then there's something going on with rpm settings or rpm wire. But could even be a broken switch yet, they won't function on gas without the switch working properly.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 pm 

Hi Simon,at my wits end,i havent changed any of the wiring about since this happened also tested the switch in my cruiser,it works fine.Its as if the gas ecu doesent have any basic settings in it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:01 pm 
Installer

Even if the ECU has no basic settings in it the switch should still light for a few seconds when the red/white wire is at 12v.
If at wits end you could always bring it in for sorting ;-)

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 pm 

Hi Simon,its a shame it didnt pack up on the way to Yorkshire otherwise i could have given you a ring.Its like having a computer without a hard drive,there is not even 5 volts at the switch everything is dead.To near Christmas day to be out there at the moment but will get back on it Tuesday.In the meantime HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AT THE FORUM.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:39 pm 

Hi all,bit the bullet and got a OMVL XX1-N from Tinley Tec plugged it in and all working again.It runs good but the gas pressure says 1.7 is this right or is there a way to lower it in the settings,its also running a OMVL HP reducer.Sent a e-mail to Auotogas.pol asking if there is any warranty on the ecu but havent heard anything so far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:49 pm 
Installer

You can't just plug it in, also got to calibrate it (I'm sure you know this!).

When you get into software there will be a reading for actual pressure, seen in the box at bottom middle of screen in most 'configuration' screens, there is also a setting for reference pressure that is adjustable in configuration/parameters screen in v6 software. In OMVL terms, HP is 1.7 bar, MP 1.2/1.3 bar, Std 0.9 bar. When mapping yours you should set the reference pressure so it best matches actual pressure when the vehicle is running on gas. If you have already calibrated the system but then make a change to reference pressure you will need to calibrate it again for the new reference pressure.

There are outline instructions for calibrating AEB systemslike your OMVL ECU on TinleyTechs website, should get you something like on a not overly fussy engine provided there are no other issues.

Whether or not 1.7bar is right will depend on the spec of your vehicle and spec of injectors fitted (most importantly injector nozzle size). If you have an OMVL HP reducer and need to lower actual pressure, this may involve taking a spring out of the reducer.

ECU should be warranted for 2 years by default.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 pm 

Hi Simon,thanks for reply and explanation i do believe its the same engine as yours Chrysler Voyager 3.3 did caliberation,it runs ok at the moment but probably needs a fine tune,however will look on Tinleys site for the information,havent taken it for a run yet as i say its a shame your so far away as i would be round like a shot,i think Tinleys would be the nearest to me as the ones near me have been useless or shut.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:02 pm 
Installer

No probs mate.

Just a pointer - I know TT are shut until the new year too.

What pressure is it actually reading when running on gas?
What is the pulse time of gas injectors at idle (with fully warmed engine)?

With OMVL HP reducer it is probably around 1.7 bar at idle unless someone has removed the wide diameter spring under the right side (nearest gas exit point) chamber. Whether or not 1.7 bar is ideal will depend on the nozzle size fitted in your injectors. Answers to above questions will enable me to advise.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:12 pm 

Hi Simon will have another look at gas pressure tommorow as just saw 1.7 on the screen but i was looking at wrong screen,the injectors are Valtek 30 at 2mm also the reducer is 11 Months old same as the old ecu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 pm 
Installer

With 2mm nozzles in V30 injectors and 550cc cylinders you will need the high pressure.

That's if you're sure nozzles are only 2mm, I would expect at least 2.5 (except maybe by certain done in a day installers!). Got to be careful with V30's, some batches are only 2.5 internal anyway, other batches are 3mm internal (or this may be old/new spec). No point drilling nozzles bigger than 3mm on most injectors including V30s (2.5 on some V30s). If you drill nozzles bigger, don't forget that 3mm nozzles flow 2.25 times more gas than 2mm nozzles as it is the area of the nozzle that counts, not the linear step between 2mm to 3mm which would only indicate 1.5x more gas flow.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 pm 

The end of the saga at last,opened up the nozzles to 3mm,ticks over like a dream and accelerates like a rocket.After my reply to Autogas to tell them that Gas Price was there company and they should take responsibility for selling there products i didnt here anything for a couple of weeks,then out of the blue got an e-mail from Lpg Shop saying send it back to us and we will exchange for an OMVL ecu as they have run out of King ecus.Good result and very happy.If it wasent for the forum i wouldnt have known Autogas and Gas price were the same companyWont be going there again.Thanks again Simon and Gilbertd for the help much appreciated.Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:40 am 
Installer

Opening nozzles to 3mm on V30 injectors may only give as much flow as 2.5mm nozzles on some other spec injectors because some V30s are only around 2.5mm internally anyway. Likely yours are 2.5mm internal because would expect combination of 3mm nozzles and 1.7 bar to be too much otherwise.

The generic term Autogas could refer to the fuel itself or to any part of the LPG as a road fuel industry - It is AutogasLPG the company and GasPrice the company that are synonymous... Wouldn't want you telling people Autogas is @!## when you enjoy using it so much, especially as I use wording 'Yorkshire Autogas' on my letterheads etc ;-)

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,