LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: LPG Gauge turns off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:14 am 
Installer

It is very likely the problem can easily be identified with just a few simple tests even without the interface, which would then lead to a simple fix - If we assume the system worked OK, the ECU and switch aren't broken and nobody has tampered with ECU settings then the list of potential causes is quite small - disconnected rpm wire / bad main power or earth connection (not necessarily inside the fuse holder, also check battery connections) / low resistance solenoid coil (in which case since the fuse doesn't blow would imply dodgy power connection as in the previous point in this list - we'd expect the fuse to blow with solenoid resistance low enough to pull ECU voltage down if power connections were good).

As said in my previous post, you need to start the engine and select petrol mode on the switch (red light only on). Then, with the engine running: If the red light stays lit then it's likely you have a power connection and/or solenoid coil problem - We could easily talk you through finding such problem. / If the red light still goes out then it's likely it is set up to expect an RPM signal on the brown wire and that wire has become disconnected - We could easily talk you through reconnecting that brown wire... In this case would begin by asking you to look at the area around the coil pack's connecting plug as this would be the workmanlike position for connecting the rpm wire, so does it look like someone has tried connecting a wire there?

If you do decide to buy the cable - The software is available as a free download from various websites, the recent AEB systems can be quite fussy when it comes to cables - all described as suitable for the King system will work (and many others will work too including some cheaper cables like generic AC Stag if you just swap the middle 2 wires on the 4 pin Supaseal plug) but many cables tend to lose connection at higher rpm and engine loads, AEB branded cables work best, they still sometimes lose connection but less often. Very likely that your system was supplied to the installer as a 'complete system in a box' main components comprising Emer ECU, Emer's V34 injectors, Emer's OMVL CPR type reducer, by TinleyTech... and I could probably even correctly guess who the installer was (we become familiar with other installers handiwork signatures :lol:). Not to say there is anything wrong with the handiwork which doesn't look a bad job, or anything to doubt about the installer's general standards. Anyway, TinleyTech sell the AEB branded cable and Emer software can be downloaded from their site.. I just bought another AEB cable from them, my other couple of AEB cables were getting a bit worse for wear.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:30 pm 

I started the engine and set it to petrol, but it still turns off after a few seconds. When i first turned the ignition, it wouldn't come on at all, I had to try a few more times for the lights to come on before I could switch it to petrol.

You can see my video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2C4tgI_3C8

That's under the bonnet, the fuse has been checked.

I need to find what the coil packs connecting plug then lol!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:11 pm 

If you look at the top of the engine, there's a plastic cover with Ecotec written on it. The coil pack is under there (ie on top of the spark plugs). At the end nearest the battery you should see the wiring connector for it. If the rpm wire isn't attached there, follow the wiring loom back and you should find where it is connected - it should be relatively easy to spot the non-Vauxhall bit.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 pm 
Installer

Agreed Rich.

Also better say the brown may only look brown near where it's connected because it's inside a black sheath... so will look like a single core 2mm approx diameter black wire along it's length. You might not even see the inner brown if it's been taped up far enough at the end...

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:55 pm 

Hello guys, I have had it fixed. I managed to find an LPG Bloke near me, he has a garage.

I Would like to thank everyone for their input, very very helpful, a great forum.

I took it there today and he plugged it into a laptop, he also had a good look around under the bonnet and couldn't really find anything.

Anyway, in the end he unticked this box on the laptop with the emer software, clicked apply and then booooom! RPM started, then when he ticked it again and clicked apply, the RPM stopped. He said there were two ways in which it worked and the old way broke or theres a wire that may of perished or broken somewhere, but because it can also work the other way, he unticked the box and bobs your uncle.

You lot might know what I mean, I'm not 100% sure what it was lol!

But thanks again

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:20 pm 
Installer

Know what you mean Paul, I mentioned the RPM detection settings in posts above.

For sure your RPM wire hasn't been connected, at least properly, but the software settings would suggest it was supposed to be connected (because without the rpm wire connected the system wouldn't run with those settings, as you found out). If it was supposed to be connected then if it reconnects there could be a problem - When system is set not to expect brown wire connection if brown wire is connected it can lead to incorrect RPM readings and incorrect fuelling. After changing the setting the installer should have purposefully cut the brown wire, else if there's just a bad connection and it reconnects you might have other problems.

Should have asked before - how long have you had the car and when did the problem start?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:50 pm 

Oh ok, thanks for that info Simon. I might give him a call tomorrow to get reassured on that potential issue.

I was just so happy to get LPG back in my life lol! you don't know what you got until its gone lol!

I have had this car since end of January this year and the problem started on Saturday just gone 1st October. so about 9 months of LPG usage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:31 am 
Installer

p4ulsmith wrote:
I have had this car since end of January this year and the problem started on Saturday just gone 1st October. so about 9 months of LPG usage.
In that case if laptop wasn't connected and RPM setting tampered with on 1st October then the RPM wire must have been connected and may become connected again.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:22 am 
Advanced Member

Who was it you found that sorted it? A mate of mine has finally seen the light and has sold his diesel VW Sharan and bought a Toyota Alphard import with the 3.0 litre V6 1MZ-FE engine and is looking to get it converted. He's on the Isle of Sheppey (but hasn't lived there long enough to grow the 5th finger and webbed feet) so it would be better if he can find someone fairly local that can do a decent job than have it done hundreds of miles away.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:29 am 

Hi Gilbert, his name his neil.

A really nice, top bloke. He's been in Chatham for 16 years running the business. He's a very busy man, so he would have to book in advance.

He lives in north london and commutes to chatham everyday lol! He opens from 10:30am until 17:00pm Mon-Fri, he dont work weekends.

The best thing to do would be to call him. here is his details.

Phone Number - 01634 297600

Website - http://medwaydualfuel.co.uk/