LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Injector cleaner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:50 pm 

Has anyone used injector cleaner? Does it work as described?

I've done circa 60k miles now on LPG, & when the engine first changes over to gas when the engine is warm it is often lumpy/misfiring & dropping the rpm to 300-400 for 2-3s before it runs perfectly. All the filters are changed on time & gas pressure is ok, so I suspect the injectors are perhaps gumming up a bit.

Hana injectors, mounted in the aluminium manifold horizontally on the top of engine.

Post subject: Re: Injector cleaner
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 am 
Installer

Some installers I trust have reported good results from using injector cleaner. Obviously it could only clean injectors, not rejuvenate worn or damaged injectors.

Fuelling needs to be more precise at idle than under other conditions, so problems due to injectors might be first noticed at idle. But your problem might equally be due to calibration.

I generally prefer not to install injectors horizontally but it's fair to say I haven't noticed issues with Hana's that seemed likely due to horizontal mounting. With some types it might be expected that, among other potential problems, gumming would be more likely to occur with injectors horizontal.. Gas outlet is usually at the bottom middle of injectors but when mounted horizontally the bottom middle becomes half way up and at the side. If injector internal diameter is wider than it's gas outlet diameter then horizontal mounting can mean there's a void below the level of the outlet shaft, the void more likely to drain of fluid/muck through the gas outlet with vertical mounting than with horizontal mounting.

Not relevant to your install, the effect is particularly notable on installs that introduce fluid (engine valve lube) into the injector vapour supply on purpose; In this situation it might seem cleaning lube fluid out of injectors would be an easy repair but the reality is cleaning 'full of lube' symptom injectors repairs them only in half of cases. I regard lube injection via LPG vapour injectors as a bad idea, expensive in terms of injector longevity/reliability and provides poor cylinder dosage distribution - most of the fluid goes to the cylinder where relevant injector is nearest the vapour feed pipe or to the cylinder where relevant injector is at the lowest position on a sloping injector rail, the fluid can pool in the vapour pipe and rail, any volume of fluid that is injected lowers the amount of gas that is injected thus leaning mixture on the effected cylinder.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:18 am 
Installer

Injector cleaning does work and I use it as part of a service. It will only work if the injectors are dirty or gummed up, it will not help if the seals have been damaged. Gummed injectors are most noticeable when the engine is cold

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:03 pm 
Installer

LPGC wrote:
Some installers I trust..

classicswede wrote:
Injector cleaning does work and I use it as part of a service. It will only work if the injectors are dirty or gummed up, it will not help if the seals have been damaged. Gummed injectors are most noticeable when the engine is cold
Like Dai Classicswede :wink:

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:03 pm 

I have had the same symptoms in the past and the injector cleaner didn't resolve it, although it improved for a few days before it was back to normal.

Initially I replaced the injectors with new ones and it ran perfect until they eventually gunked up.

My injectors are valtek re-badged or at least identical enough to use valtek service bits and coils. I ended up taking one of the original ones apart which is easy to do.

The internals are basically a piston and spring inside the chamber. I cleaned them all out and put the old ones back on and it was as good as new. They were really mucky and I don't think running a cleaner through it would have ever shifted the @!## inside.

I now take them off and strip them down and clean them annually as part of the service and it's never run lumpy since. The only thing that has gone is the rubber buffer on the piston has worn and or come away from the piston and I replaced two of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm 

I have just used some ic12 as a preventative measure on my Romano injectors. I have no vapour filter on my system and have done 18 k miles on it, so gave it a go. There were no problems prior to using this stuff but my Subaru outback seems a little bit smoother and more responsive now. There weren't any oily or greasy stuff in the pipes, but I think I will repeat the treatment every 6 months or so as part of service routine. It was very easy to do with clear instructions.