LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:11 pm 

I have a 04 transit 2.3l running necam system ,factory fitted by Ford. The problem is when the van switches over to lpg. It sounds like the engine is missing a cylinder. When the van is started on petrol, it fires and revs no problem. When it ticks over, there is a slight blip in the engine every so often when on tick over. It sounds like the engine is missing a cylinder for a second only.
I was thinking it could be a coil pack starting to break down. I know any fault is greater on gas compared to petrol.
Has any one any suggestions
Forgot to mention this happened when I removed and replaced the inlet manifold. The lpg was working 100% before that.
Cheers
Veeman.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:32 pm 
Intermediate Member

Could be the coil pack. Could also be a kinked pipe as you've had the manifold off if it's got trapped in the process.

Any idea which necam system it is? One has injectors the other has a distributor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:50 pm 

Thought about the nipped pipe had a quick look, but did not try to trace the pipes near the manifold.
The necam system has the distributor. I have renewed the seals and cleaned the flutes inside about 2 years ago.
Will have a look at coil packs / plugs / leads in the morning.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Veeman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm 
Intermediate Member

Does the obd system actually detect a misfire? If it does and can tie it down to a cylinder you might be able to rule bits out by swapping around bits to see if the fault moves cylinders. It may want the distributor cleaning out again - others found this was needed regularly, personally I've never found anything in there to clean out though. The coil pack beginning to fail is certainly a possibility though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:13 pm 

Well on further investigation of the lpg lines to the manifold. I noticed that the corner of the alternator had a pipe trapped between the manifold and the corner of the alternator.
I removed the alternator and re-routed the two lpg lines to the manifold. Started the van and it runs like a dream on lpg.
Thanks to everybody who give me directions to look for the fault, it's appreciated.
Cheers
Veeman