LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:28 pm 

Hi all

I am new to the forum and lpg. I have a ford motorhome 7.5 ltr v8. It has three 90l tanks. it runs fine when they are all full but after the first one is finished and it switches over to the 2nd one it starts to run rough, lose power. Sometimes it clears itself and things are ok, sometimes not which means i have to fill up again ( or back to petrol ) As soon as all three tanks are full its fine again.
The tanks and valves are tomasetto the rest of it not sure as i cant seem to find any makers marks. I suspect its quite an old system.

many thanks in advance
Brockwell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:27 pm 
Intermediate Member

Gunged up solenoids a possible cause - Any idea of the type of tanks? (single hole ideally - if so they should have a shutoff tap which will allow you to shut the gas off before removing the solenoid). Solenoid coil not working properly (bad electrical connection or dodgy coil) also possible.

It might help to post some photos. Other possiblity is damage to pipework if its been squashed somewhere on the tanks in question. Anywhere the vehicle has been lifted up from is a good place to start looking.

If you have the shutoff taps on the valves (you may not if its a 4 hole tank) then you should be able to identify which tanks are the cause of the problem. Do you have to manually switch between tanks? only other thing that can happen is cross filling (full tank refilling empty tank - this should be prevented with one way valves in theory, but they may not be there or may not work correctly).

I think your most likely cause is gummed up solenoids on at least two of the tanks though.

Has this worked ok in the past and suddenly stopped working, or never worked properly for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:59 am 
Advanced Member

There shouldn't be any switching either, they should all be connected with non-return Tee's so the all empty equally but can't backfill. It might be worth a bit of a replumb......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:45 am 
Intermediate Member

Might also be worth checking all 3 tanks if they have taps for shutoff that they are actually fully open whilst your there. If you want to empty the lines before disconnecting anything then allowing the engine to run with the taps off is an easy way to do so. If you have them of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:00 pm 
Installer

Gilbertd wrote:
There shouldn't be any switching either, they should all be connected with non-return Tee's so the all empty equally but can't backfill. It might be worth a bit of a replumb......
Agreed. Sometimes on engines that need a lot of gas flow and multiple tanks are installed, when a tank is empty (and we might expect the other tanks then to be at higher pressure than the empty tank so continue to flow liquid gas to the engine), what can actually happen is that the full tank does initially begin to fuel the engine but then it's temperature drops (due to fuel take-off at a high rate the gas in the tank has to evaporate to maintain pressure thus cools the tank) so the empty tank then becomes then one with the higher pressure... In certain cases the empty tank then pushes an airlock (gaslock) to the reducer, which requires liquid gas not vapour. Where the full tank has more pressure than the empty tank, fuel can flow from the full tank to the empty tank.. the tank valve and piping have a limit to what they can flow, so with enough flow from a full tank to an empty tank there isn't much flow rate remaining to fuel the engine, so again the reducer can receive vapour instead of liquid. If all new pipes etc are to be fitted would suggest using 8mm pipe and fittings.

However, if it has previously been OK as is, this could point to a developing reducer problem (needs more pressure at the input than it used to - inlet jet). Or, if one way valves are already fitted they could be faulty (the ball bearing in them can get stuck).

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:24 am 

Wow Guys

Thanks for all the speedy and thoughtful responses.

I will be up at the van this w/end so will take a few pics to post hopefully with a view to finding out if I have shut off valves.

It switches tanks automatically. Initially it only ever worked on two tanks, but sporadically all three have been working. My sense is the two rear tanks do fill the front one, although am not 100 %.

Thanks again all and watch this space
Brockwell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:30 am 

Sorry folks I cant seem to up load any photos, I keep getting the message that board attachment quota had been reached can anyone tell me what this means. I will try again later

Many thanks
Brockwell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:43 am 
Advanced Member

It's been like that for years. See viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12009 ande upload to Photobucket or similar and then link to them from within your post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:57 am 

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/brockw ... sort=3&o=0.

Think I have sorted a photobucket account out, can some one tell me if this photo is visible? in terms of sorting out the van , at this stage I am looking to find out if I can switch the tanks off to clean the solenoids.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:15 pm 
Installer

We can see the image by clicking on the link.

If you want the image rather than the link to appear in the thread - from within photobucket click on the pic you want to post on forum, click on the IMG tag (this will automatically copy the IMG link) and paste the link into your forum thread. The pasted link will have two lines, delete everything that isn't between the two [IMG] tags (but leave the [IMG] tags in your post).

Example - The following line would make a pic appear in this thread, except I inserted the 'example' text to prevent the pic appearing and allow you to see the format.
[IMGexample]http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r741/SimonAndrew/LPGC/Wakefield-20130210-00131_zps5a4b7c2f.jpg[/IMGexample]
In case anyone is interested, the pic is of a little circuit I made that effected repair of a Citreon petrol ECU, saving the owner over £600 and I've since fixed another Citreon with same problem / same fix. Possible to see the pic by copying the link, pasting into a PM to yourself and deleting the 'example' text.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the help with posting photos do you know if this type of valve can be shut off.

Many thanks
Brockwell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:15 pm 

After having another look at these valves, am pretty sure there is shut off valves. I guess I need to turn them all off and run the engine to rid all the pipes of gas, then have a look/ clean the solenoid valves

Brockwell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:59 pm 
Installer

brockwell09 wrote:
Thanks for the help with posting photos do you know if this type of valve can be shut off.
Yes they can - in your pic there's a thumbscrew under the blue solenoid connectors, screwing that in clockwise will manually shut-off the gas. The electro-solenoid should shut off the gas in any case but it's best to also turn off manually, especially if function of the electro-solenoid is questionable.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:30 pm 
Advanced Member

Also check that they are fully open as that could be the cause of your problem in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 pm 

Thanks v much, just had another look and one of valves was only about a third open, here's hoping this has been causing the problem. We go to Spain this week so hopefully I can use all three tanks rather than filling up all the time !

Many thanks again
Brockwell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 pm 
Intermediate Member

That certainly won't help, If you use them individually you should be able to tell which tanks are working if there is still a problem (shut two off and see how it runs, then do the same to another two to test each one).
At least then with any luck if there is still a problem you might get two tanks to work till you get it sorted.