LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:33 pm 

Hi

I've got a Prins VSI system installed on my Merc S500 V8. It's worked flawlessly for five years.........until today. :(

My other half was on her way to work when, as the system switched to gas the engine cut out. She changed to petrol and went to fill up with LPG as she assumed the tank was empty. Now the tank is full but the car will not run on gas either manually or if set to auto, she tells me that it only cost around a tenner to fill up with LPG so I don't thing the tank was empty when the system failed.

Can anyone tell me the most likely faulty component?

.....erm is not an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:00 pm 
Installer

Most likely faulty component is a gas solenoid valve. There is one on the LPG reducer/vaporiser (round thing under the bonnet) and one on the tank. These shut off gas flow when you're not running on gas but they can stick shut and the electronic coil on them can break, either situation will result in the car being unable to run on gas.

Many other possibles but the above is the most likely. If it isn't a problem like the above then most likely the repair won't be a simple DIY job, in which case would hope you would bring it in.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:20 am 

Could be worth checking the fuses on the LPG system, i believe some have fuses to protect the outputs which would include the vapouriser solenoid etc.
If one of them has blown it could be the solenoid coil faulty like Simon suggests although sometimes a fuse will pop through old age.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:33 pm 

LairdScooby wrote:
Could be worth checking the fuses on the LPG system, i believe some have fuses to protect the outputs which would include the vapouriser solenoid etc.
If one of them has blown it could be the solenoid coil faulty like Simon suggests although sometimes a fuse will pop through old age.

This was partially the problem.

With fantastic help from Edward at 'Mobile Automotives and LPG' the problem was diagnosed to be no voltage at the solenoid. The fuse was found to be OK but the fuse holder itself was burned in the area around one of the fuse legs probably caused by a poor electrical connection between the fuse leg and it's socket. Over time this poor connection had heated up until one side of the socket had burned out and disconnected the power to the solenoid.

A new in-line fuse holder and 15A fuse has been installed and this has cured the problem.

Once again thanks go to Edward for his excellent service.

.....erm is not an answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:20 pm 

Glad you got sorted in the end! :wink: :D

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo