LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Disco filling problem?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:18 pm 

Now I have my disco back up and running I find I have to revisit an issue I thought was fixed. It has 2 40 litre tanks, and so I guess should have a capacity of 62 litres, however when run to empty it only ever takes 35 litres which is normally consumed in 110 miles (ish), I did think one tank was not opening which given the state of the wiring and solenoids looked to be a very real posibility, however this is not the case. Having found it to still have an LPG range of 110 miles I filled it up and disconnected one tank, this resulted in that tank emptying in 56 miles, reconnecting the other tank and again the total distance driven was 110 miles. Any ideas what is going on? as it seems both are filling and both are emptying, so why cant I get anything close to 62 litres in?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:45 pm 
Intermediate Member

Where are the tanks mounted? And are they level?

Its possible the multivalves aren't operating the way they are supposed to and shutting off the fill before they should. If the tanks are at the wrong angle for example.

May help to post some photos - theres a sticky at the top of the forum for doing so.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:52 pm 
Advanced Member

Having just replied to your other thread ref the emissions, to be going through that amount of gas, it must be running like a dog. From my Classic with the old 14CUX engine I used to get 200 miles from 60 litres and from the GEMS P38, I get 210-220 from 67 litres. 56 miles on 35 litres is ridiculous, it'd be cheaper to run on petrol!

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:57 am 

No it's returning 110 miles on 35 litres! It did 56 miles when I disconnected one tank. As for the angle, I have no idea as its a very tight fit, and there's not a lot of margin for error. Too high and the valves would be jammed into the boot floor, too low they are against the other tank (they are mounted in a cradle where the petrol tank was)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am 
Advanced Member

So it's running fine and not using an excessive amount, it just won't fill or it isn't emptying fully. The fact you got 56 miles with only one tank connected suggests that both are filling equally too. So neither are filling or emptying fully which does suggest mounting angle or the tanks are fitted with the wrong multivalves so the pickup isn't at the bottom. Cylinder tanks are usually 30 degree tanks meaning that the multivalve position should be 30 degrees down from the top but they do need a 30 degree multivalve so the pickup curves downwards and sits in the bottom. If someone has fitted the wrong ones (say zero degree or ones intended for a shallower toroidal tank) so the pickup is not at the bottom, then that would explain it. The only way you are going to find out is to drop the tanks and have a look. If you do find the multivalves are wrong, then changing then is going to be interesting as you are likely to have around 8 litres of liquid to vent off in each.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:18 pm 

Dropping the tanks is easier said than done. It has 2 40 litre tanks, however the tow bar has been modified to allow the rearmost one room, and you have to take the straps off the skid and take it down while the rear one hangs on the towbar mountings and then onece that's out of the way remove the rear tank. Putting it back is even more fun as you have to have the straps round the tank while it sits in place and you lift the sled with the second tank into place.. much fun, words were used!

The tanks themselves are getting old and close to expiry so I will just change the whole lot valves and all (no way are the screws holding them to the tanks coming off nicely! I would have done it but cash has evaporated in engine repairs (slipped liner, new tappets, rods, cam, rockers, rockershafts, oil pump and so on!) and the skid and petrol tank and 4 new tyres and they have about a year to go

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:24 pm 
Advanced Member

I feel your pain. Had the engine in my P38 done in November, top hat liners, big ends, mains, pistons, rings, camshaft, followers, camchain, oil pump, valve guides, valves, springs, you name it, it got it. No change out of £2.5k though. I've sent you the Zavoli software by email.