LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2003 Touareg 3.2 V6
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:23 pm 

Its been a while since I last visited this forum and it seems that some reputable installers have moved on and no longer doing LPG work. Same as my local installer who had fitted a BRC kit to my toyota hybrid (my first experience of LPG)

I have always found people on here friendly and resourceful. I am going to be adding a touareg as an addition to my vehicles and will be considering another kit to be fitted. Ideally somewhere not too far and was considering Tubb at midlands way but of course he is not longer doing it.

So is there any other recommendation reasonably local? The reason I prefer local, is that should it go wrong, it will be commutable to get it resolved. And what is the going rate these days (for good quality work, not looking for £600 half a day fitting if you know what I mean)

On a separate, since my local installer has packed up, does my system need to be serviced yearly? or can that be done myself? i see it could be a case of changing a coin size filter is it not? but I do remember seeing him having to plug into a computer, not sure what and why tho.

Any info is appreciated, and I am based in Milton Keynes

J

Post subject: Re: 2003 Touareg 3.2 V6
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:38 pm 
Installer

Next week I will be converting a Porsche Cayenne V6, which is based on the same platform and engine as the 3.2 Touareg.

£1400 Supplied and fitted is a bit more than I charge for most 6 cylinder installs but reflects the extra components and install complexity it takes to do a proper job on these vehicles. Though I'm sure some pretenders in terms of quality would quote stupidly low prices!

I believe last time I converted a V6 Cayenne would have been around 2007 but since then I've converted loads of V8 Cayenne's and hundreds of other vehicles including VR6 VW models, all run very well on LPG.

Your system should be serviced annually, 2 filters to change, safety checks performed, very worthwhile checking LPG system calibration and running a few checks to confirm all is well with the LPG system - hence the laptop connection (to the LPG system) and OBD scanner connection.

Dunno who is reasonably competent in your area.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:32 am 

Thank you for your reply Simon

Yes I have read about your work and will be contacting if I do not find anyone closer

But just don;t want to reach out that far in case if I run into any problems

Now I just have to justify spending that amount not only on a car that worth only £4k, but effectively doing only 5k miles a year (oppose to 15k on my other car) to make it worth while doing.

I will be sending you messages in due course, but I do appreciate other info re where about are the installers down south.

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:14 am 
Installer

Your area as been pretty much taken over by the dun in a day guys.

Not the simplest of conversions to do but once you know them not so bad but still take more time than many other cars.

As to your BRC system you could do the filters yourself but you would miss out on the other checks

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:53 am 

classicswede wrote:
Your area as been pretty much taken over by the dun in a day guys.

Not the simplest of conversions to do but once you know them not so bad but still take more time than many other cars.

As to your BRC system you could do the filters yourself but you would miss out on the other checks

You have always been helpful mate :wink:

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:13 pm 
Intermediate Member

josewick wrote:
On a separate, since my local installer has packed up, does my system need to be serviced yearly? or can that be done myself? i see it could be a case of changing a coin size filter is it not? but I do remember seeing him having to plug into a computer, not sure what and why tho.

Any info is appreciated, and I am based in Milton Keynes

J

Would that be Gas4Cars down in Bow Brickhill? I know he did fit BRC kit, only ever spoke to him on the phone, and something put me off ever going near him after that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:54 am 

We are still here installing and servicing LPG for those that appreciate our time and effort to do a good job.

We service BRC, Prins, Necam, and all the AEB based systems plus many of the Polish systems.

Apart from all the usual equipment, we also have an injector flow test rig and can test for unbalanced fuel supply etc.

CV4 9AP
024 7646 1199
www.lpg-cars.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08 pm 
Installer

Pics of the Porsche Cayenne I converted last week http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14162&p=109782#p109782

lpg-cars wrote:
Apart from all the usual equipment, we also have an injector flow test rig and can test for unbalanced fuel supply etc.
Interesting but reckon the best test rig is an actual engine, which will test flow of injectors in real world conditions (range of temperatures, range of pulse lengths especially considering LPG injector flow discrepancies occur mainly at short pulse duration)? If the LPG ECU on the vehicle with questionable injectors doesn't support switching individual cylinders back to petrol to allow such a test (all but the latest Prins, some BRC, etc, don't allow switching cylinders back to petrol) then the injectors can be taken off the vehicle in question and temporarily fitted to another vehicle (one of installer's own vehicles) which does have an LPG ECU with the facility.. Obviously not necessary with AEB or just about any Polish system, as the most recent versions of such ECU's all have facility for switching individual cylinders back to petrol - in which case the most that needs to be done to check LPG injector flow/functionality would be to temporarily swap in a new version of the same ECU (plug n play).

Off subject a bit but I wonder if you agree - The other month I was a bit surprised when speaking to the latest Prins importer, because he seemed excited to think some of the functions of the latest Prins system - like the ability to switch individual cylinders back to petrol - was ground breaking stuff! He went on to describe how they'd recently removed a KME system from a vehicle and fitted Prins VSI2 instead because they couldn't get it running right with the KME system fitted, that he 'didn't like the KME injectors'. I had to tell him KME don't make injectors, you can fit whatever injectors you like with KME, the KME ECU would blind the Prins ECU. I reckon he probably didn't know how to set up the KME system properly (or at best didn't know how to select injectors etc to suit the vehicle), seems his customer will have paid a heavy price for what I term Prins narrow mindedness (which seems quite prevalent even these days). The system in question was fitted by a done in a day firm, probably hence the unsuitable injectors (I'd probably agree on that point with him), but in this case the better way forward would be fitting better injectors and calibrating properly rather than removing the full system and fitting Prins.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon