LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cadillac Escalade
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:12 pm 

Anyone got any experience converting the Escalade.

Post subject: Re: Cadillac Escalade
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:38 pm 
Installer

Yes...

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 pm 
Advanced Member

Why? They're horrible......

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:34 pm 

one mans meat is another mans poison

each to their own I say

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 am 

I'm looking for advice in general, I assume there’s no need for flash lube, it’s a 410BHP V8 so I don’t want it switching to petrol at WOT and I'm wondering if I can get any additional torpedo tanks on the underside as well as a spare wheel tank as I'd like more range without giving up room in the car.

It’s a 2007 model (the horrible edition Gilbertd) don’t listen to Jeremy Clarkson, American cars offer excellent reliability and value for money. And there’s no replacement for displacement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 am 

How much range do you want/need? With a 95L tank (about 72-75L usable) that's about 16 gallons. According to what i found here :

http://www.cars.com/cadillac/escalade/2 ... equipment/

it should do 13-20mpg round town/open road. Remember those are American gallons though which are about 0.8 of our UK gallons so will in fact be a bit more (probably about 18-25mpg but the speedo is probably still in US miles which again are slightly shorter than ours so will seem less) so you should get a range of about 250 UK miles minimum with that size tank.

Looking at the tyre size in the spec of the Escalade linked to above, it would seem you should be able to fit this tank for example :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282145913995? ... 1558.l2649

Your tape measure should tell you if there's room for additional underslung tanks, you'll also need non-return valves, T-pieces and other bits to connect them but i don't know what exactly.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:50 am 

US miles shorter than ours

r u sure lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:55 pm 

I get what your saying about US gallons 3.785 litres but a mile is a mile either side of the Atlantic
I must be more lead footed than most because I can never get anything like what most other people claim out of any thing I've ever owned.
I have a L322 Range Rover that I can just about squeeze 76 litres in from empty but I average 11.8 MPG so 200 miles is the best I have ever achieved 160-170 the norm.
I'd like to have a range more like 250-300 from the Escalade primarily because I can fill up locally at £0.41 but when I get caught out away from home I can be paying 40/50% more

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:23 pm 
Installer

hitman wrote:

r u sure lol
:roll: You might offer that useful info on Ordnance Survey forum or update Wikipedia Dave :lol:

Sometimes funny comparing US and Imperial measurements with Yanks, some seem to take it as bragging about the empire (obviously always the baddies) and then decide not to buy from you! Is it true that Brit suppliers would either ship short gallons, or ship true gallons which would mysteriously become short gallons during the time on ship (wine etc), either way the average short Brit gallon became the new US volume for a gallon? Or maybe there were no real standards set at the time.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:42 am 

A gallon is 8 pints either side of the pond but in America they use 16floz to the pint whereas we use 20floz so their gallons are about 0.8 of ours. There is a very slight difference to this as it is an aproximation, their fluid ounces (floz for those who don't remember old weights and measures) are a tiny bit different so it makes a little difference to the exact figure.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the mile :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

Obviously when i was taught the US mile was different, nobody had updated my teachers! It still is different if you take one measurement of it (even they have two separate lengths for a mile!)

Basically what i was saying last night about the consumption stated would be about 25% better in terms of numbers. In other words, if it does 16 US mpg that would work out to be about 20 UK mpg.
Found this handy little converter online, give it a try :

http://www.mpgtokpl.com/mpgustompguk.htm

Now, why would someone go to the trouble of making a conversion program if they were the same? I ask you! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:57 am 

hitman wrote:

r u sure lol

Well it was when i went to school - having just looked into it it seems the US mile (or at least the one they use most) is in fact a smidge longer than ours now. However, it seems the arrangement for them to use the International Standard based on a metric measurement became official in 1959 and most of my teachers were teaching long before that (most were approaching retirement in the early 80s) so they probably weren't aware the mile had been standardised internationally and they taught me it was shorter. Bear in mind the text books i had at school were mostly pre-1959 as well and you can see why i've gone through life with that knowledge.

Yank Boy wrote:
I get what your saying about US gallons 3.785 litres but a mile is a mile either side of the Atlantic
I must be more lead footed than most because I can never get anything like what most other people claim out of any thing I've ever owned.
I have a L322 Range Rover that I can just about squeeze 76 litres in from empty but I average 11.8 MPG so 200 miles is the best I have ever achieved 160-170 the norm.
I'd like to have a range more like 250-300 from the Escalade primarily because I can fill up locally at £0.41 but when I get caught out away from home I can be paying 40/50% more

Either i'm light footed or you're definitely lead footed! I can usually manage about twice that from my Cherokee, think the best i got was 364 on 65L (it may have been 72L, can't remember properly now) and the worst was about 14mpg but that was pootling around the village giving it plenty of beans when i could. Also it spent a fair bit of time just ticking over staying warm as it was the middle of winter and getting back into a freezing cold car after being out for an hour with the hounds wasn't nice!

The question is, what to you get from your Escalade on petrol? Take that as a base figure and work out your range and tank size from there then add a little onto the tank size to give you some margin for error.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am 
Installer

At least we'll knot argue about a mile being a bit longer over the sea :roll:

In a lot of US cars for the European market, such as my old 2001 Grand Voyager, you can select either US or metric measurements.. but in my car the one setting controls both the fuel computer and the climate control / temperature readings and I'm not sure if the mpg reading actually is US (like the computer says) or Imperial (modded for UK market, save the computer still reading US). In the UK we all use mpg rather than L/100Km but the younger generations use degC rather than degF, so neither setting is ideal for them.. Even if I preferred degC over degF, because I am vastly less familiar with L/100km than I am with mpg I would still set the computer to US. The girlfriend is a bit younger than me and in this hot weather when I've pointed out the high 80's readings she's asked what that is in 'real temps' i.e degC... Easier and quicker to do the conversion maths in head rather than switch the computer between US and metric while driving but having only the one setting could be considered a bit of a negative by younger UK users... not that they'd buy a Grand Voyager!

Dad reckoned teachers back in the late 50's didn't always seem qualified and some probably weren't :lol:. Brought back memories of the next door neighbour when I was a kid, previously a WW2 bomber pilot he taught my dad at school (qualified?) and still smoked what was probably the same pipe he smoked in class. Apparently he regularly dished out punishment to dad and his mates but they were on good terms as neighbours, dad reckoned he deserved what he got at school :lol:

Agreed with your range guestimating method. Installers are always being asked how much range a particular tank will give, it's best to turn the question around and ask how many mpg the owner gets on petrol and calculate from there.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:26 pm 

Well I'm pretty sure my mpg reflects my lead foot as well as the Range Rover I have a Chevy Suburban averaging 11.8mpg on LPG and a 300C getting about 15mpg on LPG so I'm confident that a tank in place of the spare wheel only isn't going to get me much further than 200 miles with a following wind.
That's why I'm looking for info regarding additional tank placement of smaller petrol tank to free up more room.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:24 pm 

Yank Boy wrote:
Well I'm pretty sure my mpg reflects my lead foot as well as the Range Rover I have a 300C getting about 15mpg on LPG.

If it isn't a silly question considering the amount of Detroit Iron you have, is that a Chrysler or Nissan 300C? If it's the Nissan and you're only getting 15mpg out of it, you need much lighter wellies! :lol:

If it's the Chrysler 300C, they're also a big V8 if memory serves (last one i had anything to do with had a diseasel lump in it but the owners saving grace was they also had a V10 Crossfire......... :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: ) so probably about right.

LPGC wrote:
At least we'll knot argue about a mile being a bit longer over the sea :roll:

In a lot of US cars for the European market, such as my old 2001 Grand Voyager, you can select either US or metric measurements.. but in my car the one setting controls both the fuel computer and the climate control / temperature readings and I'm not sure if the mpg reading actually is US (like the computer says) or Imperial (modded for UK market, save the computer still reading US). In the UK we all use mpg rather than L/100Km but the younger generations use degC rather than degF, so neither setting is ideal for them.. Even if I preferred degC over degF, because I am vastly less familiar with L/100km than I am with mpg I would still set the computer to US. The girlfriend is a bit younger than me and in this hot weather when I've pointed out the high 80's readings she's asked what that is in 'real temps' i.e degC... Easier and quicker to do the conversion maths in head rather than switch the computer between US and metric while driving but having only the one setting could be considered a bit of a negative by younger UK users... not that they'd buy a Grand Voyager!

Dad reckoned teachers back in the late 50's didn't always seem qualified and some probably weren't :lol:. Brought back memories of the next door neighbour when I was a kid, previously a WW2 bomber pilot he taught my dad at school (qualified?) and still smoked what was probably the same pipe he smoked in class. Apparently he regularly dished out punishment to dad and his mates but they were on good terms as neighbours, dad reckoned he deserved what he got at school :lol:

Agreed with your range guestimating method. Installers are always being asked how much range a particular tank will give, it's best to turn the question around and ask how many mpg the owner gets on petrol and calculate from there.

Simon

I find the easiest way of converting degF to deg C is to work from 82F/28C. If converting 20C to Fahrenheit, the difference would be 8C so double it, take 10% off then subtract that figure from 82F. In other words the start point is 28C, subtract 20C to get the difference 8C as already mentioned, double it to 16C, take off 10% which is roughly 2 (1.6 but let's "knot" argue) and it becomes 14 - subtract that from 82F and it's 68F (or 68.4 if you want that decimal point back!). While it may not be 100% accurate, it's a very close ready reckoner without going into the add/subtract 32 and multiply/divide by 9/5 as i was also taught at school.
May not work for everyone but works for me. :D

The range guestimate method was the way i would do it, seems the most logical. Still reckon he needs lighter wellies though! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:57 pm 

Yeah Chrysler 300C with the 5.7 Hemi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:27 am 

LairdScooby wrote:
I find the easiest way of converting degF to deg C is to work from 82F/28C. If converting 20C to Fahrenheit, the difference would be 8C so double it, take 10% off then subtract that figure from 82F. In other words the start point is 28C, subtract 20C to get the difference 8C as already mentioned, double it to 16C, take off 10% which is roughly 2 (1.6 but let's "knot" argue) and it becomes 14 - subtract that from 82F and it's 68F (or 68.4 if you want that decimal point back!). While it may not be 100% accurate, it's a very close ready reckoner without going into the add/subtract 32 and multiply/divide by 9/5 as i was also taught at school.

Unless it's critical, I tend to ask people to just give me the figure in Celcius and let them work it out - after all they're the one who's wrong. Obviously that doesn't work with the car display so well... ;)

As far as I'm concerned, Fahrenheit is obsolete like pecks, gills, cubits and rods. But then, I'm a 42 year old electronics engineer so have worked in metric all my life. My dad was a civil engineer who designed major roads - also entirely in metric after around 1975. I even have my satnav set to km, as I find visualising 100m, 200m, 400m etc easier (length of a rugby pitch is about 100m, length of a drag strip is 400m :)). Plus I've had many Japanese imports so the odometer's often been in km anyway. I'll be happy when we stop hanging on to the mile and the pint too. And yes, I can happily work in km/l - my car does about 10. I guess it's just down to whether you find it easier to convert the litres to gallons (divide by 4.546, ie by 9 then multiply by 2) or the miles to km (multiply by 1.6 - ie by 4 then by 4 again then divide by 10) in your head.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:52 am 
Advanced Member

I work in both. For temperature I always use Celsius, but for fuel it's gallons and beer is pints. I'll work out my fuel consumption in miles per litre then multiply by 4.546 to get miles per gallon. My satnav is in whatever units are used in the country I'm in so when in the UK it's in miles but as I'm waiting to get off the ferry at Calais I always change it to kilometres. That way I'm using the same units as the road signs and speed limits. I drove a car with the speedo in km every day for almost 15 years so know that 30 = 48, 40 = 64, 50 = 80, 60 = 96, 70 = 112 so I know by how much I'm exceeding the speed limit. If I'm measuring something it can be a bit of both. I really confused my partner by saying that something was a couple of millimetres over 17 inches.....

The US pint makes a bit more sense to me than ours. There's 16 ounces to a pound so why are there 20 fluid ounces to a pint?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:16 am 
Advanced Member

As for the Escalade, I had to deliver one 950 miles. It wasn't too bad to start with but after a while I found it typically American, all tacky plastic with a bit of leather to make it more upmarket but somehow they can even make real leather look like plastic. The worst, and scariest, part of it are the brakes, have you noticed how tiny the front discs are? I reckon a Ford Focus has larger discs than the Escalade. Had a decent stereo system though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:17 am 
Installer

Chrysler 300C's are fitted with a few different engines including V6's models up to the 6.1 Hemi SRT8 model, I've converted all models. The SRT8 is particularly lively - the same engine propels a Jeep 0-60 in about 5 seconds, wet or dry, I've converted a few of those too. The metal manifold 6.1 is much easier to fit spuds in the right place compared to the plastic manifold 5.7 Hemis, the 5.7 in Jeeps feature cylinder shut-down, not featured in all 300C's.

Agreed metric makes more sense than Imperial but I wouldn't want to see the end of pints or miles! I used to know a bloke, would only be in his very early 50's now if he hadn't died of hyperthermia (another story) who used to convert metric money into old money when doing calculations in his head, very strange. Centigrade far better than F for most comparisons but for weather I just find F creates a bigger impression, no problem using the -32, *7/12 calculations etc.

Edit - Mine and Gilbert's posts crossed (I started writing, lost internet while checking cold calibration in the Hyundai I just converted before clicking send).. On subject of Yank cars, I particularly don't see why Cadillacs are seen as something special, to me they're the same as other Yank cars with same plastics etc. I remember Clarkson reviewing the Chrysler 300C and mentioning how easy it was to confuse the similar looking adjacent parking brake release and bonnet release - then fell foul to making the same mistake myself a few times :lol: I wish fluid ounces were called something else, what with a fluid ounce not necessarily weighing an ounce.

My daughter's blokes dad is traffic planner for Leeds... Yeh, I know..

A few tangents on this thread eh :lol:

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 am 

talking tangents - hyperthermia or hypothermia which killed him?

frozen I'll bet - let it go , let it go, let it goooooh lol