LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cadillac Escalade
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:39 am 

So Simon appears to be the only person who has actually done a conversion, can you expand on what year, what kit what pitfalls tank placement etc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:36 pm 
Installer

hitman wrote:
talking tangents - hyperthermia or hypothermia which killed him?

frozen I'll bet - let it go , let it go, let it goooooh lol
:lol: Yeh my mistake, hypo, I'd usually have got that right... When hypothermia grips, may feel like a good idea to strip off even if it is snowing etc, but in a better frame of mind would know that didn't make sense. Killed by loss of good sense, another symptom of hypothermia.

What year is the Escalade? Most models have a Vortec V8 and most Vortecs need straws instead of spuds, so just a bit more work to install than usual but undemanding in terms of spec of LPG components and easy calibration. Couldn't comment on what multiple tanks you'd get in without seeing another one and measuring up, owner only wanted one tank on my install.

I fixed an install on a Vortec V8 (not Escalade but an old Chevy pickup) the other day, was simply missing the vac signal to map sensor and reducers but also running in limp home mode due to the previous owner fitting stainless exhaust and cocking up the lambdas - on one side of the engine the lambda boss is on the manifold side just before the downpipe connection, on the other side the boss is in the downpipe. It has one missing lambda probe and one with it's wiring cut off right at the probe.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:25 am 

LPGC wrote:

I fixed an install on a Vortec V8 (not Escalade but an old Chevy pickup) the other day, was simply missing the vac signal to map sensor and reducers but also running in limp home mode due to the previous owner fitting stainless exhaust and cocking up the lambdas - on one side of the engine the lambda boss is on the manifold side just before the downpipe connection, on the other side the boss is in the downpipe. It has one missing lambda probe and one with it's wiring cut off right at the probe.

Simon

That confirms my suspicions about the Lambda position on certain aftermarket stainless manifolds - thanks for that! :wink: :D

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:07 am 
Installer

LairdScooby wrote:
That confirms my suspicions about the Lambda position on certain aftermarket stainless manifolds - thanks for that! :wink: :D

This stainless exhaust was from the manifolds back but didn't attach directly to the manifolds flange like a proper made for the job exhaust would, instead (as memory serves) they'd used a couple of overpipes about 6" long to link between a short section of original pipe after the flange to joint to the stainless.

On one side of the engine the probe is in the manifold just before the flange but on the other side there is no probe at all yet OBD reports problems with both pre-cat probes and both post cat probes - So, with no probe fitting currently present in the manifold on the other side, either a probe was fitted on the other side in the downpipe section after the flange (maybe the short section now covered with the over-pipe), or the ECU (or manifolds) are not the originals for the car.. Given (as memory serves) 1997 Vortecs, v6s and V8s only have 2 or 3 probes and the car only has 1 pre cat boss I wasn't expecting OBD to report 4 probe problems..

In any event a thorough job hasn't been done, as said the one pre-cat probe that is present has had it's wiring cut off right at the probe. The owner contacted the previous owner, who reckoned it doesn't need probes. It might not need probes to run OK or to pass an MOT but the ECU is expecting probes to be present and more accurate fueling could be achieved if they were fitted, I thought it seemed to be running a bit lean.

The exhaust works OK, does have a bit of a blow, owner reckons from the manifold to head but I reckon on the joined section, though seems a bit of a made to fit affair rather than the proper thing for the job and there's the issue of the lambda probes... Wouldn't expect the same issues from a proper made for the job stainless exhaust but for sure I know a lot of them seem to arrive minus particularly post cat probe bosses - in some cases manufacturers probably expect decat at the same time. And I know of others arriving without the (more important) pre-cat probe bosses fitted - could always weld some in I suppose.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:23 pm 

Thanks for clarifying the position on the manifolds Simon - i've been looking at a set of OBX stainless manifolds for my Sterling and the original Lambdas are in the cast iron "logs" bolted to the heads with a downpipe flange stuck to the bottom of each log. Just above this flange is a Lambda boss in each.

On the OBX manifolds/front pipes, the rear bank Lambda is about 6-9" (rough, edumacated guess) from the "Y" join between front and rear bank downpipes and the front one is probably about a foot, maybe 15" from the "Y". This means both senors are a fair distance from where they were originally and would almost certainly need to be changed for heated sensors (unheated, single wire sensors as standard) which isn't a problem in itself, easy to enough to pick up an ignition switched feed, put it onto a relay coil to supply the heaters but i suspect that not only will there be a delay in mixture control due to the distance but because the front run is about twice the length of the rear, it could be that each sensor is seeing a different air-fuel ratio.

Nothing like the problems you report on that Vortec V8 and only one pair of Lambdas to worry about (no post-cat sensors on mine) but still enough of a potential problem to be worked out and solution found before shelling out $$$$$ on some nice, shiny header pipes!

You mention overpipes on this V8 you've been sorting, that would be the ideal place and very easy to do for a pair of pre-cat Lambdas. You probably already know but you can get Lambda repair sections that can be either clamped or welded over the original pipework :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281128311754? ... EBIDX%3AIT

About 6" long, this would probably solve two problems in one go for you, different diameters are available as well. On my (recently acquired) Volvo V6, where the front pipes join the front box there is a flange separating the two assemblies. There are blows both sides of this flange so no prizes for guessing how i'm going to stop them blowing! So far the front pipes seem to be NLA although the front box is available. Even if i got a new front box and used those Lambda repair sections to fix the blow on the engine side of the flange i still get to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I'm guessing the overpipes on your V8 would have to come off to weld a Lambda boss on, these would probably pay for themselves in terms of time saving and renewing for the customer althoughi'm sure the customer wouldn't mind paying for them. Not sure if the next bit would be possible but i daresay once it had two working Lambdas, you could link the pre and post-cat Lambda inputs to fool the ECU into thinking it had 4 working Lambdas - some ECUs measure the resistance of the heater circuit and/or the sensing circuit so this may not work - worth a try though! :wink: :D

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:51 pm 
Intermediate Member

LPGC wrote:
My daughter's blokes dad is traffic planner for Leeds... Yeh, I know..

A few tangents on this thread eh :lol:

Simon

They have a planning department for traffic there? I thought they worked out junctions from letting a cat play with a ball of string for a bit from the bits I've driven round. One of the worst places I've ever had to drive in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:32 pm 
Installer

Brian_H wrote:
LPGC wrote:
My daughter's blokes dad is traffic planner for Leeds... Yeh, I know..

A few tangents on this thread eh :lol:

Simon

They have a planning department for traffic there? I thought they worked out junctions from letting a cat play with a ball of string for a bit from the bits I've driven round. One of the worst places I've ever had to drive in.
:lol: Yes, I wasn't impressed either! Would seem they let the cat play with the ball of string regularly, getting more and more tangled.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,