LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:07 pm 

Hi there i need some help in what i can do. I have a mercedes 1994 e220 which is converterted to lpg and i got re converted with a new modern system about 2years ago. The valve was changed along with the electrics and ingectors ect.

Anyway to my problem. The tank only fills 33Lnand its a 60L tank. I alreday know that its only made to fill to 80% but this is just ablut 50%. Im really Pi**ed off with this as i use them 33l easily. So please help me guys

And prefe this i can do at home ???!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:34 pm 
Intermediate Member

Either the tank is installed incorrectly (not level/wrong angle) or the multivalve is incorrectly matched or defective.

It might help to give some info on the tank - they come in different types (cylinders and torroidal) - tinley techs website has info on both types with pictures to identify yours, or post up some pictures somewhere else and link them here, someone should then be able to tell you whats wrong or how you need to correct it.

Has this always filled to 33l since the valve was changed?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:05 am 

Hi mate, the tank i have is the Single-hole Toroidal Tank - 30 Degrees.

I woll get some pictures asap for this post snd yes since the valve was chamged it was more thank 33l however it has now dropper

Another thing is that when the car is left for a couple nights unsude i will open the doornand the car will smell ofnthe lpg gas is this bad?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:26 am 
Advanced Member

lpg gas wrote:
Another thing is that when the car is left for a couple nights unsude i will open the doornand the car will smell ofnthe lpg gas is this bad?
Yes, very bad. Find the leak and sort it asap.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:00 am 

I have a funny feeling we're missing the point here. Firstly how far do you go on that 33L? Secondly do you have a fairly set routine whereby you fill up once a week at the same place, perhaps after work on a friday or something? If so, there's a good chance there's nothing wrong at all.

Here's why i think this :

Let's forget for a moment it's a 60L tank and concentrate on the fact you can only fill it to 80% which is 48L. You mentioned you had it converted to a more modern system which i would think has the low fuel level buzzer and maybe a preset changeover to petrol.
If this is set to occur at 15L then the answer is simple. If you subtract 15 from 48, it leaves you with 33, hence if you run it until it reverts to petrol at 15L, you will only ever get 33L into the tank. I believe this threshold is adjustable from within the software so maybe if you adjust or get it adjusted to a lower figure, you'll be able to get more than 33L into the tank and use more of the gas that's actually in there.

Now to the smell of gas from within the car. I'll hazard a guess that the filler on your car is between knee and hip height? I suspect at some point when filling, probably once the fill is done, you've removed the nozzle and the small dicharge of gas has got on your clothing.
Then you have sat in the seat to drive the car. Gas contains a "stenching agent" to make it smell. If this gets on clothing, gloves etc, it lingers. So you've washed the clothes you were wearing on the day it happened but you haven't washed your seat. This means there is still some stenching agent on the seat and if the car is left closed up for a couple of days, this will build up and hit you like a sledgehammer when you open the door.

I would give the drivers seat a through clean and see if it cures it - also investigate getting the low fuel level changeover altered and just to be on the safe side, get the installation checked for leaks although i've got a funny feeling there won't be any.

If you can't get the low level changeover adjusted, look into getting a bigger tank. I'd guess you're probably getting about 150 +/-30 miles which is about 25mpg +/- 5mpg on gas from this 33L (just over 6 gallons) which is an "educated guess" based on the size of your car, engine size etc so even if you could use all 48L of the tank, you'd still only have a range of 180-270 miles, depending on what mpg you're getting.

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:08 am 
Advanced Member

Over thinking it way too much. Good in theory but highly unlikely. The changeover will be when the pressure drops, not when the level sensor in the tank says it's empty as everyone knows they are as reliable as a chocolate teapot so the system would be constantly changing back to petrol every time you put the brakes on or went round a corner. A bit of gas on the seat would disperse after a couple of days so be barely noticeable. If it enough for it to be noticed, then it isn't good.

I would suggest that the tank valve has been changed for the wrong one (0 degree in a 30 degree tank or one for a smaller tank so the float arm is too short) and when being done the venting hasn't been put back properly so any gas from a slight leak or from filling, is pooling in the boot.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:22 pm 

Good points Brian and mainly stuff you get to know through experience of installiing i would think.

That said, i still think there is soomethingin the using/getting down to a preset level with this 33L thing.......

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:36 pm 
Installer

Hmm...

33L in a 60L tank would be about what would be expected if you had fitted a 0 degree valve on a 30deg tank...

And of course the smell of gas is a bad thing. A - the tank should be externally vented (so any gas coming from the tank valve goes outside anyway), and B - it shouldn't be venting or leaking any gas anyway.

Since you're asking these questions I would urge you to visit a knowledgeable installer.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:42 pm 
Intermediate Member

its all done off pressure on multipoint as Gilbertd pointed out - theres a sensor (on the end of the injector rail in most cases) that the ecu monitors, when the pressure drops too low (as the tank is running out of liquid lpg as is left with only vapour) it will switch as it thinks you have run out.

The 33l bit will just be where the float is causing it to stop as its at the full position (the change in angle having an effect on this).

The main bit of concern is the smell of lpg inside the car - there is a leak somewhere, Probably on the filler side from what hes said but no guarantee that's the case.

He's identified the tank - the next bit is identifying the valve. While your there confirm how its mounted (toroidal will be spare wheel well, but is this inside the boot or underslung - I don't know Mercs well enough to know where it will be) If its inside then the valve should be easily seen with any luck, underneath will be more complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm 
Intermediate Member

LPGC wrote:
Hmm...

33L in a 60L tank would be about what would be expected if you had fitted a 0 degree valve on a 30deg tank...

And of course the smell of gas is a bad thing. A - the tank should be externally vented (so any gas coming from the tank valve goes outside anyway), and B - it shouldn't be venting or leaking any gas anyway.

Since you're asking these questions I would urge you to visit a knowledgeable installer.

Simon

Yes what he (Simon) said!