LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:04 pm 

Hello,

I'm presently installing a Prins VSI 2.0 system on my 1998 BMW 740i with M62B44 engine. The equipment has come from a '96 540i that was recently scrapped (rust), so I've been able to pick up a converted intake manifold with fuel rails & injectors, vapouriser, gas ecu and dual outlet filter for a bargain. I've had to purchase new main & injector looms etc - but the basis of the kit has already been initialised and run successfully on a car with an identical engine to mine.

I understand the installation will require a safety check,certification and subsequent addition to the UKLPG Register before being insurable/considered roadworthy.

I've had initial discussions with a fitter in the North Wales area although a couple of subsequent emails have gone unanswered and I'd like the forum's suggestions for a Prins fitter who'd be willing to make any final calibration changes and do the certification of the installation.

I'm based in Merseyside but willing to travel sensible distances - any suggestions gratefully received?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 pm 
Intermediate Member

Try speaking to Andy Evans http://www.sstv.org.uk/autogas/index.html he posts on here occasionally under AndyEvansAutogas and is based up in Merseyside. The official website shows he services Prins so should be able to assist you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 am 

Thanks for the suggestion; I did try that fitter but he told me he hadn't fitted a Prins system in quite a while and wouldn't be able to do any necessary final calibrationon on this kit.

He did recommend I visit the other fitter I mentioned, but as before, some other options who are known to have recently fitted/worked on Prins equipment would be useful.

EDIT: fixed a bunch of typos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm 
Advanced Member

Problem you have is that you've chosen to convert a fairly demanding car using a system that is one of the worst supported. Prins will only supply the software to their approved installers so it isn't readily available like most of the other systems. You need a Prins approved installer ideally but they may not take kindly to you having done the install yourself. Have a look here http://www.prinsautogasuk.co.uk/approve ... rs-map.php and see if any of your local ones will be prepared to do what you need.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:55 pm 
Installer

Since you're around Merseyside I would have advised Andy too but I can do what you ask, I'm near Pontefract though.

Normally aspirated (not Valvetronic, Msport or DI) BMW V8s are one of the easiest V8s to convert properly, a good performing engine but not particularly demanding in terms of LPG kit and certainly not demanding in terms of installer ability.

If you have connected wiring properly I would be surprised if calibration was far out anyway since kit is effectively going on the same engine.

Good and bad apples but I don't hear many good customer reports about Prins dealers.

Does it run OK / have you not finished the install yet?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 pm 

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the message. As it happens, I was able to have a good conversation with the Prins agent/fitter that I visited in the North Wales area and got a lot of confidence from it; I shall visit the in the first instance, given the distances concerned -but if there's any issue, I'll get back in touch to take you up on that offer.

The car's running great on petrol - I have spent some time ironing out any problems before starting the conversion.

That being said, I'm still underway with the install - doing what I can in evenings after work or over weekends. As you suggest, the kit has worked well on another car with an identical engine. I'll put together together a quick thread on my progress elsewhere on the forum and point to it from here in a moment. :D